Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:29 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The doctorine of Sin is one very misunderstood concept in the church today.
The result of Adam's sin is the "Total depravity of Man." What this means is that sin touches us at all of our points. We are throughly tainted with sin through and through. The great prophet of God Isaiah put it this way. "All of my good deeds are as filthy rags in the sight of a Holy God". Therefore we can see that sin is just a matter of degree and that everything we do, say or think is unacceptable to God. As long as we are in the flesh this is our position in relation to Him. It's only because of what Jesus has done for His people that we have any relationship with this Holy God. Jesus washes us and continues to wash us our whole life through.

This fact of the total depravity of Man which all of Adam's children have inherited throughout all the ages is precisely why Jesus could not be born as a son of Adam. In order for Him to satisfy God's anger against sinners Jesus had to be the perfect sacrifice without blemish or wrinkle. In other words he had to be sinless. So therefore He was born of a virgin and was in effect the second Adam. Just as Adams sin was able to corrupt all of his desendents so was the perfect life of Jesus able to save all of His Children. Children not born of the flesh but born of the Spirit.
::Sigh::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,980,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh::
For sure. I hate sadistic religion.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:45 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,830,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
For sure. I hate sadistic religion.

That's what I wonder about. Now, does that really last? Not that love does either. Religion is forever to coms and go. Some sadistic religion was pretty good in the Nineties. There was the religion over cancerous tumors. There was the religion over the end of Science. There was the religion of the comedy replacing tragedy.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:54 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,529,879 times
You guys must figure that God owes you something. Well let me tell you that there is something He owes you because He promises it. He owes you justice. In this world we get either Justice or Grace. Grace being the unearned favour of God for His own Children chosen by him for that purpose. You can of course believe whatever you want to about God. I have learned about Him from His Holy word where it tells me the "Beginning of all wisdom is the fear of the Lord."

Old 01-31-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
You guys must figure that God owes you something. Well let me tell you that there is something He owes you because He promises it. He owes you justice. In this world we get either Justice or Grace. Grace being the unearned favour of God for His own Children chosen by him for that purpose. You can of course believe whatever you want to about God. I have learned about Him from His Holy word where it tells me the "Beginning of all wisdom is the fear of the Lord."
Our ignorant ancestors needed fear as a motivator . . . they were little more than animals spiritually . . . that's why it was only the BEGINNING of wisdom. We were supposed to mature spiritually beyond that. Too many have chosen to stagnate at the beginning for reasons of power and control. 2000+ years of stagnation in ancient ignorance . . . unbelievable!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,627,883 times
Quote:
...Amen......Reverential fear that is.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:52 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,861,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Harold:...I agree with you...as pertaining to the scripture regarding adultery. To my thinking, what it means to "look at a women to lust" means this: you say in your heart "if I ever get a chance to have sexual intercourse with that person, I will...". You have set your intentions in concrete. And your course. You instantly become an adulterer when you say "yes" to it, in your heart...when you say "if the opportunity ever comes...I will do it..". You have not decided to run from temptation, but rather to run towards it.
And...allow me to add to all the above, the Bible also says "whoever hates his brother is a murderer". Notice it doesn't say he "has murdered", it just says he "is a murderer". (Evidently, you can become a murderer, without having actually murdered anyone...just as you can be an adulterer, without having actually committed adultery). I take that to mean simply that one is capable of murder...(and/or adultery)...before they have actually done either act...that they are in fact a murderer, and/or adulterer, because they are just simply waiting for the opportunity to act...their heart is already "decided"...they have become a murderer, or adulterer, in waiting...

"Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him".

I happen to have a BIL (who shall go un-named) who has told my wife: "I hate my brother..." (speaking of his own blood brother)

Needless to say, I keep my eyes open regarding this man...

Best Regards,
Bud
So, what do you think Christ was trying to point out during His ministry?...

Old 02-05-2011, 08:05 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,861,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Our ignorant ancestors needed fear as a motivator . . . they were little more than animals spiritually . . . that's why it was only the BEGINNING of wisdom. We were supposed to mature spiritually beyond that. Too many have chosen to stagnate at the beginning for reasons of power and control. 2000+ years of stagnation in ancient ignorance . . . unbelievable!
Much of what we think we have discovered today is in fact merely a re-discovery of the Ancient knowledge that was lost to man because of esoterics...Our ancestors were just as intelligent, if not more so, as we are today...They understood concepts that we, today, are trying to figure out the truth to...So, i would have to say that as time progressed forward man became increasingly ignorant and lost knowledge...and now the tide is turning...And we are re-discovering that esoteric knowledge and stripping away the adjective for all who wish to know to see...

Old 02-05-2011, 08:21 AM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman TO lust
after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."
Matthew 5:28

I actually believe that when Jesus made this statement it was to expose(not condemn) the root problem with man "As a man think in his heart, so is he", and to those who trust in themselves who think because they do not do this that and the other(see the parable of the Pharisee and publican),he's saying don't think i don't know your thoughts.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Much of what we think we have discovered today is in fact merely a re-discovery of the Ancient knowledge that was lost to man because of esoterics...Our ancestors were just as intelligent, if not more so, as we are today... They understood concepts that we, today, are trying to figure out the truth to...
Intelligence has nothing to do with ignorance. Ignorance is lack of accurate knowledge about reality. That the people we are talking about were ignorant is not even a question. That there was a source of knowledge preceding them that was lost is an unanswered question.
Quote:
So, i would have to say that as time progressed forward man became increasingly ignorant and lost knowledge...and now the tide is turning...And we are re-discovering that esoteric knowledge and stripping away the adjective for all who wish to know to see...
I agree that we have lost much of the right brain sensitivity and knowledge because of our emphasis on left brain (scientific) knowledge and education. But to compare the worldly knowledge available today to that of 2000-4000+ years ago . . . they were culturally primitive and ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity