U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 AM

4,191 posts, read 2,996,498 times
There is a big difference between the perfect humans created (Adam and Eve) and the genetically imperfect humans as time went on and sin infected the flesh. Sin had not completely tainted the genetic structure even at the time of Noah and therefore even the eight remaining humans were capable of producing offspring without the abnormalities we would have today.

The creation story is first the six days of creation with little detail and then the actual detailed creation of man(Adam and Eve) and their story of how they thrived, fell and reproduced.

I have a further theory that many may not like but sort of goes along with an earlier post of books that were not included in the Bible. I theorize that Adam and Eve could have been in the garden for an extended length of time, say 100 years and could have possibly produced a child a year before the fall. This would mean that they could have produced perfect children without a sin nature and therefore their genetic makeup would have been as perfect as the parents. Now when Adam and Eve sinned, introducing sin into the world, the earlier children were a little more immune than the ones born after the fall. Now the Bible is not specific as to wheather Cain and Able were the first children or even that Seth being Abels replacement was the only lines that existed. It is possible that Cain and Abel were kids 101 and 102 and Cain being more inclined towards sin as Abel was more like the older brethren. The older ones could have easily populated portions of the world well before Cain and Abel were even born. Taking all this into consideration Cain could have easily married a sister and settled in another area and started his own civilization. I base this theory on the fact that God told man to populate the earth even before the fall so it is completely fathomable that by the time Cain killed Abel there could have been a substancial population on the earth much closer to sinless and perfection than we could ever acheive today and therefore making incestuous relationships of no concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 AM

1,534 posts, read 811,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
My opinions are based of the literal reading of Genesis. I should have been more specific, yes He made women out of Adam's rib.
(Genesis 2:21-22)
21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

Notice that it says “there He placed the man whom He had formed.” Not the “men,” just the one “man.” And this man was alone (verse 18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” ) so God made a woman out of his rib to be his companion. All other human beings have descended from these two original people.

You are conflicting two different "creation accounts" in genesis. Genesis 1 describes the “Six Days of Creation” (and a seventh day of rest), Genesis 2 covers only one day of that Creation week—specifically the sixth day
quote:

Notice that it says “there He placed the man whom He had formed.” Not the “men,” just the one “man.” And this man was alone

Fundie,
Re-read my post.. I NEVER said he placed MEN in the garden. You are putting words in my mouth. I said He created MEN/women(plural) on the 6th day, the 'host' of the earth mentioned in Gen 2:1.

Of course God placed ONE man, the, 'eth ha', 'the same one', Adam. One man FORMED, not created, in Eden. Later He made,(built) not created, ONE women and brought her to THE MAN Adam. (not to adam without the article meaning mankind).

quote:"You are conflicting two different "creation accounts" in genesis. Genesis 1 describes the “Six Days of Creation” (and a seventh day of rest), Genesis 2 covers only one day of that Creation week—specifically the sixth day."

No, YOU are conflicting the creating of 'them' on the 6th day with the forming, making of THE MAN Adam (ONE man) with the 'building,' not creating, of Eve AFTER the 7th day of rest.

Last edited by mshipmate; 02-02-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 02-02-2009, 10:22 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,671,593 times
Quote:

The reason that incest often results in genetic abnormalities in children is that when two people of similar genetics (i.e. a brother and sister) have children – genetic defects are far more likely to result because both parents had the same defects themselves. When people from different families have children – it is highly unlikely that both parents will have the same genetic defects. The human genetic code has become increasingly “polluted” over the centuries as genetic defects are multiplied, amplified, and passed down from generation to generation. Adam and Eve did not have any genetic defects, so that enabled them and the first few generations of their descendants to have a far greater quality of health than we do now. Adam and Eve’s children had few, if any, genetic defects. As a result, it was safe for them to intermarry.
I'll go ahead and source this for you... Its always nice to give credit to the people who actually write it.

Who was Cain's wife? Was Cain's wife his sister?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:38 AM

1,534 posts, read 811,954 times
Quote:
I agree

Since Adam and Eve were the first (and only) human beings, their children would have no other choice than to intermarry. God did not forbid inter-family marriage until much later when there was enough people that intermarriage was not necessary

(Leviticus 18:6–18)
6 “ ‘No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the Lord.
7 “ ‘Do not dishonor your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother; do not have relations with her.
8 “ ‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s wife;

The reason that incest often results in genetic abnormalities in children is that when two people of similar genetics (i.e. a brother and sister) have children – genetic defects are far more likely to result because both parents had the same defects themselves. When people from different families have children – it is highly unlikely that both parents will have the same genetic defects. The human genetic code has become increasingly “polluted” over the centuries as genetic defects are multiplied, amplified, and passed down from generation to generation. Adam and Eve did not have any genetic defects, so that enabled them and the first few generations of their descendants to have a far greater quality of health than we do now. Adam and Eve’s children had few, if any, genetic defects. As a result, it was safe for them to intermarry.

quote: Adam and Eve did not have any genetic defects, so that enabled them and the first few generations of their descendants to have a far greater quality of health than we do now. Adam and Eve’s children had few, if any, genetic defects. As a result, it was safe for them to intermarry.

And the Scripture for the above is?

Hmmm...I 'googled' the words 'inter marry' in my online Bible and guess what? I couldn't find it!!

Old 02-02-2009, 10:50 AM

8,990 posts, read 8,210,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I'll go ahead and source this for you... Its always nice to give credit to the people who actually write it.

Who was Cain's wife? Was Cain's wife his sister?
That's why it it is all ITALIC, except the part where I said, I agree, that was my part but thanks much obliged because I am at work and sometimes I don't have time to finish a post. Much appreciated!

Old 02-02-2009, 10:55 AM

7,124 posts, read 9,230,007 times
I take it you don't think Eve was Adams second wife?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:55 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,671,593 times
Quote:
That's why it it is all ITALIC, except the part where I said, I agree, that was my part but thanks much obliged because I am at work and sometimes I don't have time to finish a post. Much appreciated!
Whether its Italic or Underlined has no bearing on whether or not the source is included. You could also bold it, underline it, italicize it, and put it in red for all I care. It just helps to have the source.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Whether its Italic or Underlined has no bearing on whether or not the source is included. You could also bold it, underline it, italicize it, and put it in red for all I care. It just helps to have the source.
again much appreciated

Old 02-02-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
quote:

Notice that it says “there He placed the man whom He had formed.” Not the “men,” just the one “man.” And this man was alone

Fundie,
Re-read my post.. I NEVER said he placed MEN in the garden. You are putting words in my mouth. I said He created MEN/women(plural) on the 6th day, the 'host' of the earth mentioned in Gen 2:1.

Of course God placed ONE man, the, 'eth ha', 'the same one', Adam. One man FORMED, not created, in Eden. Later He made,(built) not created, ONE women and brought her to THE MAN Adam. (not to adam without the article meaning mankind).

quote:"You are conflicting two different "creation accounts" in genesis. Genesis 1 describes the “Six Days of Creation” (and a seventh day of rest), Genesis 2 covers only one day of that Creation week—specifically the sixth day."

No, YOU are conflicting the creating of 'them' on the 6th day with the forming, making of THE MAN Adam (ONE man) with the 'building,' not creating, of Eve AFTER the 7th day of rest.
Let's say, we agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity