U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,832,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Maybe two reasons:

1) Although Paul was and still is hugely important in Christianity, Peter was put in charge by Christ.

2) Only the old testament books were available when the Catholic Church was born at Pentecost. It took almost 400 years for the Bible to be canonized BY CATHOLICS. When the Bible states that scripture is useful, the Bible can only be referring to the old testament because that is all that there was.

I will say it again. Catholics, aka early Christians, not only compiled the Bilble, but predated the Bible by almost 400 YEARS.

Sola Scriptura is a false premise.
Glad to see your post modified with love... thanks.

Being right+saying it right = right
Being right+saying it wrong = wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 1,582,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Glad to see your post modified with love... thanks.

Being right+saying it right = right
Being right+saying it wrong = wrong
Just 'cause I changed it doesn't mean I don't believe what I had there originally, but thanks for noticing.

I Just thought it would be a bad idea to slam some of the folks on two separately issues. It waters down the original thought and if my comment is not too "pointy", I have a better chance at opening a few readers hearts in which the Holy Spirit can do Its work.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,832,754 times
Quote:
Just 'cause I changed it doesn't mean I don't believe what I had there originally, but thanks for noticing.

I Just thought it would be a bad idea to slam some of the folks on two separately issues. It waters down the original thought and if my comment is not too "pointy", I have a better chance at opening a few readers hearts in which the Holy Spirit can do Its work.
and maybe He was working on you... as well

thanks again.......

Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM

3,553 posts, read 2,956,054 times
Quote:
Maybe two reasons:

1) Although Paul was and still is hugely important in Christianity, Peter was put in charge by Christ.

2) Only the old testament books were available when the Catholic Church was born at Pentecost. It took almost 400 years for the Bible to be canonized BY CATHOLICS. When the Bible states that scripture is useful, the Bible can only be referring to the old testament because that is all that there was.

I will say it again. Catholics, aka early Christians, not only compiled the Bilble, but predated the Bible by almost 400 YEARS.

Sola Scriptura is a false premise.
Both of the 2 "maybes" are false. Paul planted the churches that Rome destroyed. The whole church body(catholic "real" meaning) was not "born" at Pentecost.
And back to my original point, it was Rome that incorporated the church body INTO it's religious and governmental system, not the other way around.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 1,582,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
and maybe He was working on you... as well

thanks again.......
You might be right on that one.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:23 AM

20,330 posts, read 8,752,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
After starting the thread on women pastors and elders, it seemed to me that women who think that it's ok for women to be pastors or elders in a church want to disagree with what the Word of God teaches on this topic.

So I am now asking what makes an elder or pastor qualified to be one in the church?

When we look at 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9, both assume that elders are going to be MEN. An elder, bishop, or overseer, must be THE HUSBAND OF ONE WIFE. (1Tim 3:2 and Titus 1:6), and must manage HIS own h ousehold well, keeping HIS children submissive and prespectful in every way (1Tim. 3:4).
This seems to contradict the writings of Paul in 1 Corinthians 7:32-35

32I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairs—how he can please the Lord. 33But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— 34and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband. 35I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:30 AM

4,508 posts, read 5,426,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This seems to contradict the writings of Paul in 1 Corinthians 7:32-35

32I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairs—how he can please the Lord. 33But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— 34and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband. 35I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.
Are you intentionally trying to muddy the waters here??

Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Are you intentionally trying to muddy the waters here??
Absolutely not! I would seem to me that a minister or elder should concentrate on the Lord's work. According to Paul, the way to concentrate on the Lord's work is to remain single.

I believe this is a valid viewpoint. Afterall, it is quoted scripture.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 AM

4,508 posts, read 5,426,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Absolutely not! I would seem to me that a minister or elder should concentrate on the Lord's work. According to Paul, the way to concentrate on the Lord's work is to remain single.

I believe this is a valid viewpoint. Afterall, it is quoted scripture.
Oh I know, I'm just waiting to hear the resolution to the contradiction and what exceptions will be offered up.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Oh I know, I'm just waiting to hear the resolution to the contradiction and what exceptions will be offered up.

????? Are you not happy with this bible passage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity