Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
JWs used to come to my door, when I lived in a different town, and they were RUDE. They were quite pushy, and told me because I wouldn't listen to them, that I wasn't "a real Christian." I had to threaten to call the POLICE before they would leave, and I didn't even let them in the door. They were some of the rudest, nastiest people I've ever seen.

You think the JWs are effective? I find that amusing, but to each his own.

And I certainly don't feel like I have to "defend" my beliefs. And if I did, I would get my information out of the Bible, instead of from some Sunday School teacher....
I can only speak for my church's sunday school. We don't add or take anything away from the Word of God. In fact,we just have topical sunday school books to study. That way, no one can be mislead by reading someone's commentary about what to believe, instead we reading Scripture, comment on each verse, and let Scripture do the interpreting for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 01:23 AM

79 posts, read 98,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpasture View Post
just did a search of the bible and could not find jehovahs witnesses there anywhere. Can you show me the verse where we are not supposed to allow them in our house?
2 John 1:9-11

Old 10-31-2009, 09:29 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The other day, two Jws came to my door. Both of them were very nice, and this time they weren't rude to me after I told them that I was a Christian who happens to attend a Baptist church.

The last time a JW came to my door he totally started telling me how my religion follows the traditions of men, and that my beliefs are basically wrong from his, which shocked me because I was thinking that if he wanted me to see the light, then that wasn't the way to do it. It would have been so easy for me to go instantly in the flesh and argue with him about where I thought their teachings were wrong. But what I did instead was gave him my testimony when I became a christian, and how I loved God Jehovah just as much as they do, and gave him a question to ponder about using his own bible?

I started this thread because so many threads seem to be so anti-Jehovah's witness. Instead of us non Jehovah's witnesses starting threads to debate whether JWs are right or wrong, let's share our testimonies with them and our beliefs without debating.

Since JWs are so used to being treated rude by people when they are out in their Field Service, as they call it, they don't encounter too many people who can really articulate what they believe and why using the bible like them.

What makes the JWs so effective is that they are well trained and well studied on their beliefs. Many times we as christians can't defend what we believe because some of us don't attend Sunday School or attend a weekly bible studies where we can get systematic teaching in order to tell others about our beliefs.

So for the bible students out there who are not Jehovah's Witnesses.
What do you do when the Jehovah's Witnesses come knocking on your door?
I always pray before they come that only those who have asked God to tell them the truth about Jesus will knock on my door. Very few do, as I am able to defend my faith from the Word, and to give my testimony of Jesus so that the newbies in training get rattled, and the oldies get upset that they aren't controlling the conversation, so they make haste to "get to another appointment".

I have never found a "Watchtower" person to be able to defend their faith from the Word of God; in fact, quite the opposite, as they cannot use the Word itself, but only know what Watchtower literature tells them to believe. Independent Bible study is not their belief and is not what they do and they are not strong in what the Bible teaches or says, as they are not allowed to think independently. They must be told what to believe, and any questions they may have are not answered, and they just go along with headquarters literature.

I always invite them back to study the Word of God itself, without their "lessons" from Watchtower headquarters , and we'll see what the Word says about Jesus as YHWH in flesh.
I do pray for them after they leave, as I do not believe any of them come to my door without a divine appointment, because that is how I pray for them to come, so that I may share my Jesus with them, and give Witness to Him in my life and His desire to be in theirs.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:15 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
1 Peter 3:15
....Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for thehope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

Old 11-01-2009, 04:52 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
1 Peter 3:15
....Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for thehope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,
How do you tell a Jehovah Witness with gentleness and respect this

"sinners" is not the correct definition....more like the damned. They will be cursing.
In hell there is weeping and gnashing of teeth, "they will be tormented day and night for ever and ever."(A quote of yours twin spin from another thread).

I would prefer to ask them in for a cup of tea and a slice of cake.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:40 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
How do you tell a Jehovah Witness with gentleness and respect this

"sinners" is not the correct definition....more like the damned. They will be cursing.
In hell there is weeping and gnashing of teeth, "they will be tormented day and night for ever and ever."(A quote of yours twin spin from another thread).

I would prefer to ask them in for a cup of tea and a slice of cake.
I do this by telling them that despite the terrible things that are now happening, we have peace through God's Word. But rejecting the Word in this lifetime will not be forgiven. God's Word is the truth, it is salvation - not an organization as the JW's teach.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:08 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I do this by telling them that despite the terrible things that are now happening, we have peace through God's Word. But rejecting the Word in this lifetime will not be forgiven. God's Word is the truth, it is salvation - not an organization as the JW's teach.
Jesus said I am the Truth (the reality of God ) so i would say you are both wrong.

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:46 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
As for the orginal question...just don't answer the door. They will go away eventually.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:59 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
When a JW comes to the door, just come to the door with the bible, most will run away, do to you exposing their false doctrine, and for the one that stays, all you have to do is know the bible. They will pack up quickly and never come back.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:17 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The last time a JW came to my door he totally started telling me how my religion follows the traditions of men, and that my beliefs are basically wrong from his, which shocked me because I was thinking that if he wanted me to see the light, then that wasn't the way to do it.
Does anyone else see the irony in this? This is exactly how atheists feel when Christians and others start trying to convert us. Please take note, all of you who think it's necessary for you to push your beliefs on others -- we don't appreciate it. If we want to know about it, we'll come ask you. Those of you who don't 'witness' uninvited, we thank you and appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity