Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 04:43 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdparty View Post
I will say that I have had many a good visit with JW's and Mormons in my garage or living room. And some times they have been very engaged topics such as pre spirtual existance and the dietiy of Christ. For the most part I would say the Mormons that stop by are for the most part less abrasive then JW's..
Quote:
Be nice to them, they need it, they need to see the true mercy of God.
Amen and amen!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 05:15 AM

810 posts, read 1,436,909 times
[quote=antredd;8910793]Cult Religions fall under the umbrella of ----They are the only ones who truely worship Jehovah; They are the only ones who observe the Sabbath; They are the only ones who use the name Church of Christ; They are the first true church and any religion outside of theirs is false; and the list goes on and on. What's so said is that people who think along those lines, are so narrow minded, that they think that only the people in their circle of fellowship are the ones who got it right, and the rest of us are just caught in Satan's snare. quote]

So Baptist, Catholic, etc, that didn't think THEY are right...and JW's are wrong....they are cults too?

Old 05-21-2009, 10:26 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times
[quote=beeveenh;8911577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Cult Religions fall under the umbrella of ----They are the only ones who truely worship Jehovah; They are the only ones who observe the Sabbath; They are the only ones who use the name Church of Christ; They are the first true church and any religion outside of theirs is false; and the list goes on and on. What's so said is that people who think along those lines, are so narrow minded, that they think that only the people in their circle of fellowship are the ones who got it right, and the rest of us are just caught in Satan's snare. quote]

So Baptist, Catholic, etc, that didn't think THEY are right...and JW's are wrong....they are cults too?
Where did I say Baptists, Catholic etc think that they are right? I am a CHRISITAN first, who happens to worship God at a Baptist church, and WE don't teach that we are the only ones who got it right.

What we believe at my church is that the BIBLE. and NOT SOME TEACHINGS THAT CAME FROM CHARLES TAZE RUSSELL, THE Arch Diocese, The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, JOSEPH SMITH, and the list goes on and on of headquarters or other men who have founded religions.

A cult is any religion that teaches that they are the ONLY true worshippers of God, and that same cult teaches its members that any religion outside of its circle of believers are caught in the devi'ls snare.

First of all, how arrogant of anybody to say that his or her religion is right and others are wrong--when our relationship with God and Jesus is based on faith. It's wrong to teach that falsehood to any one, unless it's simply done out of arrogance for the sake of making the people in that religion feel like what they have is something better than Jesus Christ. How sad.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:34 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,390,847 times
Quote:
Cult Religions fall under the umbrella of ----They are the only ones who truely worship Jehovah; They are the only ones who observe the Sabbath; They are the only ones who use the name Church of Christ; They are the first true church and any religion outside of theirs is false; and the list goes on and on. What's so said is that people who think along those lines, are so narrow minded, that they think that only the people in their circle of fellowship are the ones who got it right, and the rest of us are just caught in Satan's snare.

The bible says that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, and no man can come to the father but through him. No where in the bible does it teach that we get to the Father through Jesus through the Baptists, Catholics, Mormans, Seventh Day AdventistS, or Jehovah's Witnesses? Anyone from these religions who thinks that their religions got it right over the others---ARE FOOLSIH. I am so glad that the bible didn't name a particular religion for all christians to become part of, instead, God wants us to be FOLLOWERS OF JESUS---PERIOD.
Yes and no.

Matthew 7 (New International Version)

Matthew 7

21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

There are people who will call Jesus their savior, prophesy in His name, and perform miracles yet not be allowed to enter heaven. If your faith is not Scriptural, you can call Jesus your Lord and Savior yet not be saved.

I'm not attacking your faith just cautioning against your premise.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:12 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,032 times
[quote=antredd;8926943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post

Where did I say Baptists, Catholic etc think that they are right? I am a CHRISITAN first, who happens to worship God at a Baptist church, and WE don't teach that we are the only ones who got it right.

What we believe at my church is that the BIBLE. and NOT SOME TEACHINGS THAT CAME FROM CHARLES TAZE RUSSELL, THE Arch Diocese, The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, JOSEPH SMITH, and the list goes on and on of headquarters or other men who have founded religions.

A cult is any religion that teaches that they are the ONLY true worshippers of God, and that same cult teaches its members that any religion outside of its circle of believers are caught in the devi'ls snare.

First of all, how arrogant of anybody to say that his or her religion is right and others are wrong--when our relationship with God and Jesus is based on faith. It's wrong to teach that falsehood to any one, unless it's simply done out of arrogance for the sake of making the people in that religion feel like what they have is something better than Jesus Christ. How sad.
very well said--this comes from a catholic that believes that rhere are many paths to GOD!

Old 05-22-2009, 03:18 PM

[quote=returningtonepa???;8935352]
Quote:

very well said--this comes from a catholic that believes that rhere are many paths to GOD!
The post you quoted was not mine.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:38 PM

[quote=antredd;8926943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post

Ummm...correct me if I'm wrong, but by your own definition you are a cult. You are saying the JW's (and others) are wrong because they claim to have the "true religion". I thought you said that you don't say they are wrong? Aren't you being a bit hypocritical?? On one hand saying..."I don't judge other religions" and on the other hand saying..."those other religions are cults...they're wrong".

I have met MANY a Baptist here in the south. Been invited to the Baptist Church so many times I can't count. They think they have found the "true religion". By that, I mean the organization that worships God the way God says in the bible He wants to be worshipped. They don't say "Oh, how wonderful...you are trying your best to get close to God. Hey, doesn't matter to me what organization you choose. You don't need to be a Baptist...any church will do". NO...they condemn me and tell me I've got it all wrong...and that I am soooo misled.

By the way, I couldn't even pick Charles Russell out of a line up. I respect the research he did and the contributions he made to clarify any false teachings that came about after the 1st centuries Christians died and Christianity started mixing with pagan cultures. We have no pictures of him in the Kingdom Halls...rarely is he refered to. As for the governing body that oversees the organization of JW's, I couldn't pick them out of a crowd either. They are humble volunteers who don't receive any special recognition.

We agree that the bible is the source of true Christianity!

Old 05-22-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Yes and no.

Matthew 7

21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

There are people who will call Jesus their savior, prophesy in His name, and perform miracles yet not be allowed to enter heaven. If your faith is not Scriptural, you can call Jesus your Lord and Savior yet not be saved.

I agree...Omaha, the bible is clear that not all ways are the way. If, through careful, prayerful, and consistent study of the bible, I thought for 1 minute that the church I was attending was not following bible teachings I would walk away.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Yes and no.

Matthew 7

I appreciate your comment. But again, that goes down to how we all interpret the bible--and that has always been the problem in the different religions. We have some religions who, make it their religion, to attack others for believing differently or interpreting the bible different than them.

There's a good book on this top called Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem. It's a good read for all serious bible students.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:25 AM

[quote=beeveenh;8937477]
Quote:
Ummm...correct me if I'm wrong, but by your own definition you are a cult. You are saying the JW's (and others) are wrong because they claim to have the "true religion". I thought you said that you don't say they are wrong? Aren't you being a bit hypocritical?? On one hand saying..."I don't judge other religions" and on the other hand saying..."those other religions are cults...they're wrong".

I have met MANY a Baptist here in the south. Been invited to the Baptist Church so many times I can't count. They think they have found the "true religion". By that, I mean the organization that worships God the way God says in the bible He wants to be worshipped. They don't say "Oh, how wonderful...you are trying your best to get close to God. Hey, doesn't matter to me what organization you choose. You don't need to be a Baptist...any church will do". NO...they condemn me and tell me I've got it all wrong...and that I am soooo misled.

By the way, I couldn't even pick Charles Russell out of a line up. I respect the research he did and the contributions he made to clarify any false teachings that came about after the 1st centuries Christians died and Christianity started mixing with pagan cultures. We have no pictures of him in the Kingdom Halls...rarely is he refered to. As for the governing body that oversees the organization of JW's, I couldn't pick them out of a crowd either. They are humble volunteers who don't receive any special recognition.

We agree that the bible is the source of true Christianity!
If you think that JWs don't tell me everytime they come to my door how I following traditons of men and that my religion believes in the Trinity, then what do you call that as well?

There are good and bad in all religions. And it's funny how you say, if that's true, that the Baptists you have encountered in your area are telling you how they have the truth, and how you are misguided, then they are just as guilty of what the JWs are so notorious for.

With that said, my local Baptist church doesn't teach that we are the only ones who have it right, and I made that quite clear. As Baptists, each church has its own autonomy just like the first century churches did, We don't answer to a Pope nor do we answer to some president at a church's head quarters either---because Baptists believe that the head of our church is Jesus Christ, no MAN on EARTh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity