Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWW1962 View Post
We know you are there and we mark it on our logs as AHBH (at home but hiding)

Actually by hiding it is a certain way to assure our return in the near future. We do not record a neighborhood as complete if we have not made contact with the residents.

It has been said many times before but this is a good time to repeat it.

If you do not want frequent visits from Jehovah's Witnesses TELL THEM.

Your address will be noted in the logs and no one will come by for one year.

They will return after a year because there may be a new resident at that address, or you may have changed your mind, many do.

If you still do not want them to bother you, TELL THEM again. They will not come to your door for another year.

IF they are still calling at your door before a year has passed then there has been some error in the record keeping so just remind them.
Some are just not efficient at their record keeping.

We appreciate those who tell us because we do not want to annoy you anymore than you want to be annoyed. There are many people who welcome and appreciate the publications, discussions, and Bible study that we offer and we would like to have more time for them.

Do not think that rudeness gets the message across. TELL THEM. We are like postmen for God's kingdom and will brave the weather, dogs, bad tempers, and even persecution to delivery Bible based information to the world.

(Matthew 28:19,20) 19 Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”
With all due respect, BWW, this is just not always true. I’ve told JWs that came to my door that I’m not interested, only to have them return many times within the same year. They even found me at my school and tried to talk to my dad about getting me to go to the Kingdom Hall while I wasn’t home. I don’t think it’s every JW that does this, but the overzealous ones really ruin it for the rest of you. And because of the overzealous ones, people feel like just being polite and letting you know they’re not interested isn’t enough. I don’t like to be rude but I had to end up being rude after a year of the JWs stalking me at BOTH of my parents’ houses and school, stopping me before/after classes, and trying to get my friends to do Bibles studies with them. I finally got them to leave me alone when I basically told them straight up, in a very long email, why I think the Bible and their Jehovah is total BS. (Please mods don’t edit out this part of the post—I am trying to get across the point that the only way to get rid of the JWs who were stalking me was to be rude, and I hate being rude to people.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 12:59 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMissionary View Post
We are commanded as Christians to go forth and make disciples. Not sit at home and wait for someone to knock on the door to ask us why we have a hope in our heart. I am not so arrogant to think that my time is special and that it's no longer required.
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. It does no good to witness if we are not being a witness. The kind of attitude displayed here is not the salt the Lord is talking about.

Christians are to be the light of the world and be visible. So sitting at home waiting for someone to knock on the door does not apply. Being active and visible in the community and at work does apply.

No pride/arrogance is part of the witness effort, but compassion in expressing the truth helping to reveal why it is the truth with humility.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:25 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. It does no good to witness if we are not being a witness. The kind of attitude displayed here is not the salt the Lord is talking about.

Christians are to be the light of the world and be visible. So sitting at home waiting for someone to knock on the door does not apply. Being active and visible in the community and at work does apply.

No pride/arrogance is part of the witness effort, but compassion in expressing the truth helping to reveal why it is the truth with humility.
While the famous quote of Assisi was not actually his . . . "Preach the Gospel, use words if necessary" . . . it correctly captured his philosophy about it as found in:

In Chapter XVII of his Rule of 1221, Francis told the friars not to preach unless they had received the proper permission to do so. Then he added, "Let all the brothers, however, preach by their deeds."

Old 08-06-2012, 01:42 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,066 times
I hide behind the couch until they leave. At my parents house you could see them driving house to house, and if they got to my house I would find something to do in the basement or in the back yard

Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I hide behind the couch until they leave. At my parents house you could see them driving house to house, and if they got to my house I would find something to do in the basement or in the back yard
won't work...

they'll just write DIBOIB... down in basement or in backyard.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
open the door smiling from ear to ear always saying sir and ms. tell them that you are already saved and refuse to talk about your salvation lack of time. it worked for me today - maybe it will work for you also.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:19 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
Years ago the JWs had Jesus in their doctrine- Then they went for a few decades with Jesus removed- then they stuck him back in there...I don't know what the status of Jesus is these days but I assume he is back out of fashion....I love it when the ladies in black with the nerd boys in suits come calling- I give them a run for their money- and talk up a storm- They never come back- I just pretend to be a messiah and tell them I am here to save them- they run...lol

Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 PM

Acts 20:28

King James Version (KJV)

28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Acts 20:28

New World Translation

Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit has appointed YOU overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God, which he purchased with the blood of his own [Son].

Online Bible: Acts 20:1-38 - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

Acts 20 (Blue Letter Bible: KJV - King James Version)

[Son] isn't in the Greek thus why it is parentheses. The 1985 Kingdom Interlinear Translation is different in the Greek than Textus Receptus in sentence structure. So this is one for the Greek experts to comment on.

So far John 2:19:21 is the best place to go in their New World Translation or in the King James to demonstrate that Jesus Christ raised up his own body. The resurrection is attributed to all three persons of the Godhead as demonstrated earlier.

JWs believe Jesus is the Archangel Michael. If they believe Christians are using passages to infer the Deity of Jesus Christ (nevermind 1 John 5:7 which they reject), their interpolation of him being Michael is far greater. Jesus Christ allowed himself to be worshipped. As demonstrated in the Book of Revelation, Angels (except Lucifer) do not allow themselves to be worshipped.

No way if Jesus was Archangel Michael would he accept Thomas when he said "My Lord and My God."(John 20:28) He allowed himself to be Worshiped because Jesus is God.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:13 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
My advice is to pray for them, maybe offer a quick testimony, do not, repeat do not accept their literature, and according to the bible we aren't even supposed to allow them into our houses.

Taking their literature will only make them more prone to come back to your house, because that puts you on their return visit list.
I don't know how I missed this; but you are right. If you accept their literature, you are telling them that you may be interested a bible study. They are very aggressive at getting you to study their literature, because they are hoping that their literature would cause you to see that the church's teachings are false over theirs.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 AM

43 posts, read 86,584 times
"What an awesome story. I have grown so much over the years because I used to think that JWs were just lost people who were following the teachings of Charles Taze Russell. Then I realized that they do sincerely believe that they are in the truth because of the way that the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society has presented their version of the gospel to them. You can call them lost all you want; but their method of evangelizing is working. NOT THAT I AGREE WITH THEIR JESUS OR THEIR REASONING OF SCRIPTURE; but, we as church going members need to have that same type of zeal and faithfulness as the JWs."

JW's going door to door is basically a requirement and is used as proof that you are a faithful slave(their term)to the Watchtower organization. I heard a story once that one year there were 2000 new people added to the Watchtower org. in a country. 90% of those were children(1800) and 90% of those left were family, friends, neighbors(180) which left about 20 people gained from going door to door. Totaling up the man-hours needed and it was about 57 full time(2000 hours per person)witness for every convert. My good friend is a JW elder and his Kingdom Hall has grown little over the 30 plus years I have known him, yet they put in the hours door to door, but almost all of their converts are their own children and family or friends or co-workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity