U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 10:57 PM

3,259 posts, read 5,096,228 times

Advertisements

The other day, two Jws came to my door. Both of them were very nice, and this time they weren't rude to me after I told them that I was a Christian who happens to attend a Baptist church.

The last time a JW came to my door he totally started telling me how my religion follows the traditions of men, and that my beliefs are basically wrong from his, which shocked me because I was thinking that if he wanted me to see the light, then that wasn't the way to do it. It would have been so easy for me to go instantly in the flesh and argue with him about where I thought their teachings were wrong. But what I did instead was gave him my testimony when I became a christian, and how I loved God Jehovah just as much as they do, and gave him a question to ponder about using his own bible?

I started this thread because so many threads seem to be so anti-Jehovah's witness. Instead of us non Jehovah's witnesses starting threads to debate whether JWs are right or wrong, let's share our testimonies with them and our beliefs without debating.

Since JWs are so used to being treated rude by people when they are out in their Field Service, as they call it, they don't encounter too many people who can really articulate what they believe and why using the bible like them.

What makes the JWs so effective is that they are well trained and well studied on their beliefs. Many times we as christians can't defend what we believe because some of us don't attend Sunday School or attend a weekly bible studies where we can get systematic teaching in order to tell others about our beliefs.

So for the bible students out there who are not Jehovah's Witnesses.
What do you do when the Jehovah's Witnesses come knocking on your door?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 05:53 AM

706 posts, read 1,086,428 times
My advice is to pray for them, maybe offer a quick testimony, do not, repeat do not accept their literature, and according to the bible we aren't even supposed to allow them into our houses.

Taking their literature will only make them more prone to come back to your house, because that puts you on their return visit list.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:35 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,448,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post

So for the bible students out there who are not Jehovah's Witnesses.
What do you do when the Jehovah's Witnesses come knocking on your door?
I say, quick! I have 5 minutes to live, I acknowledge I have done the most despicable things a person could do and I am scared of dieing and going to hell, or "eternally separated from God".
How do I obtain eternal life? Remember I have 5 minutes, they can't because their religion is based on legalism and work righteousness. You show them that there is nothing we can do to earn our way to heaven, Apostle Paul said, only by faith alone. (They will hit you with James when he said, "faith without works is dead") Study on what James really meant.

I let them give me their good news and then I give them the good news. Leave them at the door with the knowledge that there is a distinct difference in our religions and that we don't worship the same Jesus so therefore we both can't be right. If they are right, no biggie. I get a second chance in the new earth but if you are right then they are going to hell for eternity.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 02-02-2009 at 06:50 AM..

Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 AM

7,525 posts, read 14,542,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
........and according to the bible we aren't even supposed to allow them into our houses.
Just did a search of the Bible and could not find Jehovahs Witnesses there anywhere. Can you show me the verse where we are not supposed to allow them in our house?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:25 AM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
I don't open the door.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Sounds like some of you are turning the tables on them! Maybe you could keep your Bible and your own literature by the door to be prepared

Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 AM

706 posts, read 1,086,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Just did a search of the Bible and could not find Jehovahs Witnesses there anywhere. Can you show me the verse where we are not supposed to allow them in our house?

You mean you don't see it? It is right there after the verses that condemn birthdays, christmas, voting, college education, boy scouts, girls scouts, high school sports, valentines cards, etc etc etc

Seriously though, the bible does say that anyone who brings a different gospel, we should not even invite them in our homes. I can't remember where this scripture is, but maybe someone on here does.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 AM

4 posts, read 15,366 times
I will share a story though about a very special man who happened to first visit my ailing grandpa as a Jehovah's Witness visit. He knocked on grandpa's door, and grandma was at work that day. Grandpa would talk to anybody and invited him in. Grandpa would get out his Bible and the other man would get out his Bible and they read back and forth. My grandpa shared his faith with that man as much as he did him. They became good friends and this man put grandpa on his list of regular stops. It got to the point that he would arrive and they hugged......grandpa would read to this man and they spent the rest of the time talking about life/sports/Aerosmith on TV/ whatever. They always ate food and one day granny came home to find them both asleep snoring (he on the couch and grandpa in his chair), orange peels in front of them, juice dribbled on their shirts....lol.

That man attended my grandpa's funeral and is a Christian man this day. He left the Jehovah's Witness faith 3 mos after grandpa died.

The Bible may say close your door to messengers of other faiths, but I find that hard to believe that Jesus didn't trump that with his EXAMPLE. He read scripture with the Pharisees, ate with tax collectors, town whores, gamblers, etc. God asks us to be a light in DARKNESS not a light in the sunny skies.

I would also add *** since there was a racist comment above *** that grandpa was a white retired military man and this man was a 50 year old black man. God sees no color, he created us all.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:26 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,138,912 times
I tell them I do not feel the need to discuss my religious beliefs with anyone who comes to my door, and shut the door. I also do not discuss my bank accounts, car insurance, and home repair needs with someone I do not know that calls via phone.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:32 PM

3,259 posts, read 5,096,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroark2 View Post
I will share a story though about a very special man who happened to first visit my ailing grandpa as a Jehovah's Witness visit. He knocked on grandpa's door, and grandma was at work that day. Grandpa would talk to anybody and invited him in. Grandpa would get out his Bible and the other man would get out his Bible and they read back and forth. My grandpa shared his faith with that man as much as he did him. They became good friends and this man put grandpa on his list of regular stops. It got to the point that he would arrive and they hugged......grandpa would read to this man and they spent the rest of the time talking about life/sports/Aerosmith on TV/ whatever. They always ate food and one day granny came home to find them both asleep snoring (he on the couch and grandpa in his chair), orange peels in front of them, juice dribbled on their shirts....lol.

That man attended my grandpa's funeral and is a Christian man this day. He left the Jehovah's Witness faith 3 mos after grandpa died.

The Bible may say close your door to messengers of other faiths, but I find that hard to believe that Jesus didn't trump that with his EXAMPLE. He read scripture with the Pharisees, ate with tax collectors, town whores, gamblers, etc. God asks us to be a light in DARKNESS not a light in the sunny skies.

I would also add *** since there was a racist comment above *** that grandpa was a white retired military man and this man was a 50 year old black man. God sees no color, he created us all.

What an awesome story. I have grown so much over the years because I used to think that JWs were just lost people who were following the teachings of Charles Taze Russell. Then I realized that they do sincerely believe that they are in the truth because of the way that the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society has presented their version of the gospel to them. You can call them lost all you want; but their method of evangelizing is working. NOT THAT I AGREE WITH THEIR JESUS OR THEIR REASONING OF SCRIPTURE; but, we as church going members need to have that same type of zeal and faithfulness as the JWs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity