U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:18 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,481,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
And out we come with the "beam in teh I" ministry

As I cite scripture from memory and you very little, possibly you take heed in recognizing that I require no teaching from you.

I have tried to be polite and share from the spirit yet you are but your old judgmental self. Obviously you are not ready to receive what I share as your mind is closed.

I will allow you the last say as you do appear to be vindicated when you do so.

Ciao
I have the truth but thank you by the way you are judging me by calling me judgmental. Welcome to the club

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 02-02-2009 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 03:29 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,865,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Actually I think we are closer to a mutual understanding than either of us may realize. I am not saying that we do the will of God to show ourselves worthy but that we do the will of God because it is an outward expression that the Holy Spirit is working thru us that we have submitted ourselve to His will and are obedient. this is a fine line that can lead to much misunderstanding. Someone expressed that judging someone for a particular lifestyle does not mean that person isnt doing the will of God or isnt being loved by Gods. I would argue with the doing the will of God because it is not His will that we sin, but everyone is loved by God. The question is, is everyone loving God frist or are we loving the world and expecting God to bless our shortcomings. This is the sticking point, yes we can be caught up in sin and God still love us, but what belssings are we missing out on by serving sin rather than God? This is what I see is meant by "All things are lawful to me, but not all things are profitable" What kind of witness do we present to the world if we justify our sins, what need do we have of Christ if we justify our sins. Notice it is WE who justify our sin while Christ is telling us to go and sin no more. How can we emulate Christ if we are being mastered by sin "All things are lawful to me, but I will be mastered by none". Christ is our master and if we remain in our sins we are being mastered by them. Dont get me wrong we are all a work in progress, but if our progress is haulted by sin then the work is for nothing.

Not all of this was directed at you StirringWaters, I just felt an overwelming of the spirit and wanted to share a little extra. I really like your statement of loving God first and then loving neighbor and then the blessings start flowing in, you are correct and many of us may not see this whole picture do to our limited commitment to the Lord because of a few strongholds.
We each have to work out our own salvation. If we keep the commandments (the Greatest Commandment and the second that is like it), how can we go wrong? "All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." - Matthew 22:40 I am a sinner. The Lord still loves me. I can only go to Him in prayer and submit.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:31 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,914,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The second has nothing to do with "permission" except to the immature (OBEYERS). "Profitable" means useful. It is "not all things EDIFY" . . . i.e inform and develop the spirit! Sorry . . . you can't twist it to your OBEYING theme . . . it is total submission of our desires to our own will and agape love.
Are you really saying this, total submission to our will, our will is irrelevant it is our obedience. If we rely on our will then we rely on the flesh.

Quote:
The first is impossible without the second, Robin . . . did you forget the order of the test "What you do to these the least . . ."
No I am looking at that precisely, we can do for the least all we want, but without God we do it for selfish reasons. We must submit to God, heart soul and mind to even home to do such things in Love. Have you forgotten the verse where it lists many things we can do but if we have not love they are meaningless. We cannot have any form of love with first having God, and we cannot have God without first submitting to Him.

Quote:
It is definitely misunderstood . . . as revealed in this very thread. We have no desire to keep the law . . . we have no need of laws . . . since the holy spirit is within us and convicts our internal spiritual state whenever we reject him and adopt a sinful state of mind. It is WHY we do what we do that determines whether or not we sin.
This seems so close to what I am saying here, hold onto that thought. Yes the Holy Spirit is within us and convicts us, not just our internal spiritual state but our wholeness as by the flesh we oh too often reject His truth and adopt a sinful state and expect Him to accept that state as righteous. The heart and the mind can both be very deceitful aspects of ourselves. This can produce bad fruit as we lie to ourselves and reject God for fleshly pleasures.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
We each have to work out our own salvation. If we keep the commandments (the Greatest Commandment and the second that is like it), how can we go wrong? "All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." - Matthew 22:40 I am a sinner. The Lord still loves me. I can only go to Him in prayer and submit.
Yes 100% Yes, You are correct, the problem that has come about here is in which order do we keep these commandments and you have hit the nail on the head, the greatest is first and makes the second easy to do.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
And out we come with the "beam in teh I" ministry

As I cite scripture from memory and you very little, possibly you take heed in recognizing that I require no teaching from you.

I have tried to be polite and share from the spirit yet you are but your old judgmental self. Obviously you are not ready to receive what I share as your mind is closed.

I will allow you the last say as you do appear to be vindicated when you do so.

Ciao
Seeker, I ask you, does what you share from the spirit line up with the word or are you picking and choosing the word to line up with the spirit you are serving? Please not offense intended, but we all fall short and must maintain a proper reference.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 PM

5,563 posts, read 6,169,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Seeker, I ask you, does what you share from the spirit line up with the word or are you picking and choosing the word to line up with the spirit you are serving? Please not offense intended, but we all fall short and must maintain a proper reference.
Yes.

I am not a literalist hence I do tend to also "read the white"

Does not help to accuse me of cherry picking and do you now infer I am demon possessed, careful you are sounding like fundie.

We all fall short of what?
Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
What then is the glory of God?

I am off to sleep so take some time to ponder that and read some of my other posts on other threads on these "sin" topics.

Maybe you should engage brain before spewing of a no offense preceded by an obvious bait and flame/insult.

On second thoughts, never mind, we are at disparity here and when one starts attacking one's character, you have lost the debate. You have done this before so it appears to be a trait of yours. You broke your own rules of the OP.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,023,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
will someone PLEASE come forward explaining the origin(s) of the word SIN????

thank you.
Here goes...

"Sin" in today's English language is though to be a derivative of the Aramaic term khatatha...which is a scorekeeper's term in archery that means "you missed the mark." (Theopedia.com)

God's standard for man is to be holy. (multiple exhortations in Leviticus)
Man has inherited a fallen nature (the first Adam) and cannot attain/maintain holiness on his own.

So when Paul tells the Romans "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" (Rom. 3:23), I think it means our attempts are just too feeble to even reach the target...nevermind hitting the bull's eye. The arrows cannot fly far enough due to our inherent weakness.

That's the sin we're born into.

On top of that, we all make choices to disobey what we know to be right...either through actions or inaction. In my opinion, those are individual sins which reinforce the fact that mortals just can't hit the mark without God's help.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:34 PM

37,673 posts, read 25,387,320 times
There is little hope for change in thick heads with simple minds . . so I am probably wasting my time even asking the literalists to explain this. WHY is it important to be OBEDIENT to God and not just loving? What does obedience show other than fear and/or desire for reward . . . my pet is obedient . . . is that enough? What do you think God needs or gets with obedience? What is the practical purpose of being obedient . . . what does it achieve?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:49 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,223,144 times
Good one BSY. It is from archery. The distance between the bulleye and where the arrow lands is called the sin. We have all missed the mark. It really doesn't matter what the sin is. The law is just to show us they we can never measure up on our own merits.
Another example is a horse that jumped the fence all the time. We don't say I have a horse that jumps the third and fourth section of the fence, it's just a fence jumper. It doesn't matter where the horse jumps out,...it is out.
God wants us to recognize our sin and have us realize we need a savior. God hates the sin but loves the sinner. WE should do the same. We should love others and tell them there is answer to their sin. That God loves them so much he has made a way to deal with the sin through Christ. We were all in the same boat at one time.
I think it is amazing that God's love is free and open to anyone. Seek Him and you will find Him. He is waiting and the door to come into your life....

Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Yes.

I am not a literalist hence I do tend to also "read the white"

Does not help to accuse me of cherry picking and do you now infer I am demon possessed, careful you are sounding like fundie.
There you go trying to find something of an attack in my statements. I merely asked a question and did not accuse you of anything. Do you see if the what the spirit tells you lines up with the Word of God or do you try to line the word of God up with the spirit and reject the what doesnt. Simple question and not an accusation.

Quote:
We all fall short of what?
Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
What then is the glory of God?
I believe two other posters have summed this up but I will give my 2cents. We cannot love or do good on our own, it is nothing but filthy raggs. We must come to the Lord just to understand that simple statemement. Our love without Christ is as nothing and reseembles lust more than love. We are selfish without the Lord, any good we do or think we do is for selfish reasons, but if we have Christ and Gods love, true love, we do so because He does so thru us.

Quote:
I am off to sleep so take some time to ponder that and read some of my other posts on other threads on these "sin" topics.

Maybe you should engage brain before spewing of a no offense preceded by an obvious bait and flame/insult.

On second thoughts, never mind, we are at disparity here and when one starts attacking one's character, you have lost the debate. You have done this before so it appears to be a trait of yours. You broke your own rules of the OP.
You are merely looking for someone to insult you or attack you and I refuse to do so. I believe you may have the priorities backwards and that may be a problem for you and a reason behind our disagreements. We must put God first always or we are disobedient and selfish. As I said we all fall short of the glory of God and can only hope to attain such glory thru Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity