Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,687,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You and I do not get to make-up sins. Only God can do that.

God does not call such a sin, God never said that Abraham sinned in this manner.

We do not get to make up new sins to fit our culture.
If I understand this correctly, farming one's wife out to other men for whatever purpose would not be considered wrong? Withholding information that the woman is one's wife is not considered to be a form of dishonesty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 AM

37,258 posts, read 61,008,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If I understand this correctly, farming one's wife out to other men for whatever purpose would not be considered wrong? Withholding information that the woman is one's wife is not considered to be a form of dishonesty?
I said nothing about 'farming'?

The idea of "Defending Honour" is hard to document in the Bible.

Should he have told everyone that they were married? Yes, I think so. But I was not there. So I can not say entirely.

The 'tell' is that God stood up for him, honoured him and protected them both. So I would have to guess that whatever the detailed circumstances were, that Abraham was in the right in God's eyes.

Did Abraham say that she was NOT his wife? No.

He said that she was his sister, which she was, so he spoke truth.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:11 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,687,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I said nothing about 'farming'?

The idea of "Defending Honour" is hard to document in the Bible.

Should he have told everyone that they were married? Yes, I think so. But I was not there. So I can not say entirely.

The 'tell' is that God stood up for him, honoured him and protected them both. So I would have to guess that whatever the detailed circumstances were, that Abraham was in the right in God's eyes.

Did Abraham say that she was NOT his wife? No.

He said that she was his sister, which she was, so he spoke truth.
It is obvious that Abimelech wanted Sarah for sexual relations otherwise he wouldn't have been so upset when he learned she was actually Abraham's wife. Abimelech actually upheld morally with God about this and his dealings with Abraham.

Genesis chpt. 20

3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream one night and said to him, "You are as good as dead because of the woman you have taken; she is a married woman."

4 Now Abimelech had not gone near her, so he said, "Lord, will you destroy an innocent nation? 5 Did he not say to me, 'She is my sister,' and didn't she also say, 'He is my brother'? I have done this with a clear conscience and clean hands."

6 Then God said to him in the dream, "Yes, I know you did this with a clear conscience, and so I have kept you from sinning against me. That is why I did not let you touch her. 7 Now return the man's wife, for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you and you will live. But if you do not return her, you may be sure that you and all yours will die."

8 Early the next morning Abimelech summoned all his officials, and when he told them all that had happened, they were very much afraid. 9 Then Abimelech called Abraham in and said, "What have you done to us? How have I wronged you that you have brought such great guilt upon me and my kingdom? You have done things to me that should not be done." 10 And Abimelech asked Abraham, "What was your reason for doing this?"

11 Abraham replied, "I said to myself, 'There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.'

Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,981,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
This is the second time Abraham had lied about Sarah being his wife. He did not learn his lesson well enough the first time. In fact by this time he risked turning a sinful act into a sinful pattern of lying whenever he thought his life was in danger. Abraham thought it would be better to deceive Abimelech than to trust God.
"Abraham thought it would be better to deceive Abimelech than to trust God"

Hello all,
I don't think you guys are being fair to Abraham here. No, I'm not a 'woman hater' or any such thing, but let's think this incident all the way through.

First, what was the 'law of the land' there/then? Didn't the 'king' have the right to take ANY woman he wanted to wife, and the man/husband had no recourse but to let the king 'have' her? YES!

So what did Abraham do? He trusted God to work the whole thing out (just as he trusted God in all the other events of his life,) and God DID work the whole thing out. Not only did God not say Abraham had sinned (so how dare we?), but his wife was restored to him and material blessings.

Do this Scriptures sound like a man who didn't trust God?

Ge 18:17 And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;

Or these?

Ge 18:18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him.
Ge 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

This is the story of Abraham's faith that God would work out this event also...

Gen.22:5 And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

Abraham told the men that BOTH of them (he and Issac)would be back.

Ge 22:8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering:so they went both of them together.

Ro 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness

Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 AM

37,258 posts, read 61,008,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Hello all,
I don't think you guys are being fair to Abraham here. No, I'm not a 'woman hater' or any such thing, but let's think this incident all the way through.

First, what was the 'law of the land' there/then? Didn't the 'king' have the right to take ANY woman he wanted to wife, and the man/husband had no recourse but to let the king 'have' her? YES!

So what did Abraham do? He trusted God to work the whole thing out (just as he trusted God in all the other events of his life,) and God DID work the whole thing out. Not only did God not say Abraham had sinned (so how dare we?), but his wife was restored to him and material blessings.
I agree.

Quote:
Do this Scriptures sound like a man who didn't trust God?

Ge 18:17 And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;

Or these?

Ge 18:18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him.
Ge 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

This is the story of Abraham's faith that God would work out this event also...

Gen.22:5 And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

Abraham told the men that BOTH of them (he and Issac)would be back.

Ge 22:8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering:so they went both of them together.

Ro 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness
Good post.

Abraham believed God.

Why do men want to twist and defame Abraham?

God never said that Abraham sinned, so how can we make-up sins for Abraham? We can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity