Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
I never knowingly disobey God. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, I am able to overcome temptation. I would rather die than to knowingly tell a lie.

Donna
It is true that God will give sufficient grace to a Christian to refrain from knowingly disobeying Him (however, we need to use that grace.. we need to choose to obey. It doesn't come automatically). But there will be grace also to repent of willful sin... and we must repent.

But what about sins of pride, causing our brother to stumble, that harsh word that slips out, the "sins of omission" (to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin). What happens to those sins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 10:19 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Amazing grace... how sweet the sound...

Old 02-03-2009, 10:20 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,206 times
1Jn 3:9 Everyone who has been born of God does not commit sin, because His seed remains in him, and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.
Who's seed is this? On the assumption that the seed is spiritually received, it follows then the spiritual side cannot sin. However we are not just spirit but flesh too. It depends which part is allowed to be seated on the throne of your heart.
1Jn 3:10 In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the Devil: everyone not practicing righteousness is not of God, also he who does not love his brother.
The blue bit kinda sums it up again referring to the 2nd law of Jesus.

What righteousness are we supposed to be practicing here seeing that which we do in our own strength are considered to be equal to used menstrual cloths (filthy rags)?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:23 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Amazing grace... how sweet the sound...
You ain't whistlin' Dixie

Old 02-03-2009, 10:23 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times
I must have misunderstood your post. Why would anyone who says God can do all these things say this:

Quote:
Then why, oh why, do you say
God can't deliver us from sin?
And who, exactly, says he can't?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:29 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
I detect no love in the Kupp's posts. I detect nothing positive in the Kupp's posts. I detect mostly negative human traits, emotions, and motivations in the Kupp's posts. Based on these "fruits" . . . since they are ALL of human origin . . . I deem their interpretations are not of God, by God or from God, IMO.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I must have misunderstood your post. Why would anyone who says God can do all these things say this:

And who, exactly, says he can't?

i am but one of those digging deeper and deeper into discrepancies and that does make me sick. so it is my own fault.
any other way would have just been a shortcut, just as deadly.

missing a link? all this was said on this forum already.

should the crisis lead to continuing as usual absent any dissenters?
the most elegant final solution, imho.

no quotation marks necessary any longer. imho, too.

p.s.: "i am but a lone caller in the desert..." would imho sound preposterous and blasphemous, not imho, but in yours most likely, but i suppress that long before you can. and i am not the only one.

Last edited by effie g-tad; 02-03-2009 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: the merciful one hears me right now and confirms..

Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,503 times
Quote:
We have explained in many posts that to "commit sin" is to knowingly and intentionally disobey God. Committing sin is rebellion against the authority of God.

Yet phony Christians have said: "God forgive me for what I am about to do." They knew they were going to disobey God --and they did it anyway.

They committed sin and are condemned.

Donna Kupp
What about sins that are not done knowingly, or intentionally, or with forethought? We actually are in agreement that Christian should not knowingly sin, with the thought that God will forgive me, that's just plain wrong, and I think everyone on here will agree. But there are still those slip ups that we did not intentionally mean to do.

Does that mean that after one becomes a Christian, that one slip up condemns us to hell and there is absolutely no hope for us?

Quote:
I never knowingly disobey God. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, I am able to overcome temptation. I would rather die than to knowingly tell a lie.

Donna
I commend you on that. Every Christian should feel that way, and never knowingly disobey God. Now tell us, have you ever unintentionally sinned?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:45 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,485 times
Quote:
Some people on this forum have a pressing need to improve their reading skills. (that includes you Fundie). You have mis-represented what we have clearly written. We are saying the same thing that the apostle John said:

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin ..."
1 John 3:9

We have explained in many posts that to "commit sin" is to knowingly and intentionally disobey God. Committing sin is rebellion against the authority of God.

Yet phony Christians have said: "God forgive me for what I am about to do." They knew they were going to disobey God --and they did it anyway.

They committed sin and are condemned.

Either, they have never fully repented in the first place; or, they can never repent again; because they have blasphemed the Holy Spirit. Hebrews 6:4-6

If I said: "that man breatheth not". How hard would that be to understand? If he "breatheth not"; then he would not be breathing occasionally or breathing less.

Yet, apostate Christianity changes "sinneth not" to sinning occasionally or sinning less; but not habitually!

Donna Kupp
Wow...just wow. All of this points to the cross again and again. Who is able to be sinless 100%? Some say 'only the elect' and some say 'no one.' Personally, I fall into the 'no one' camp. But either way it still requires Jesus's atoning blood.

To preach any other way to heaven denies the cross and God's power to save.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:58 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
i am but one of those digging deeper and deeper into discrepancies and that does make me sick. so it is my own fault.
any other way would have just been a shortcut, just as deadly.

missing a link? all this was said on this forum already.

should the crisis lead to continuing as usual absent any dissenters?
the most elegant final solution, imho.

no quotation marks necessary any longer. imho, too.

p.s.: "i am but a lone caller in the desert..." would imho sound preposterous and blasphemous, not imho, but in yours most likely, but i suppress that long before you can. and i am not the only one.
This conversation must be way over my head b'c now I'm really confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity