Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 03:18 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,302,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jie33 View Post
Thank you to Shawn2828 for starting this discussion! Your posts to the replies have been great. And Koolbeans, your post was amazing. With a few exceptions, the posts in this discussion have just been wonderful!!

I have a question on something that I have been wrestling with for years.

Did anyone ever NOT do what their voice told them to do?

I can't seem to react fast enough, or don't react at all to the messages in my head, and the opportunties to change my life have passed me by. After the fact, I've analyzed these situations, thought about how I didn't do what I was told, and I realized how differently my life would have turned out if I had followed the messages.

I've been so upset about these several lost opportunies....

Has anyone ever done the same thing?
WEll, let me say this due to people getting confused on this forum. I don't hear aubible voices all the time. I heard an aubible voice three times in my life. I felt that God allowed for me to hear an aubible voice due to me going through some really hard times in my life. I had a very hard time with believing that God loved me and I was depressed and suicidal. I think that God only did this to help me get through with what I was going through.

So, now I mostly hear God in my spirit by the Holy Spirit, dreams, thoughts, images, feelings.

Now, do I not do what the Holy Spirit tells me to do sometimes, well, honestly, Yes. There have been times when I hear something in my spirit and I don't do it. Sometimes I don't pick up that it is the Holy Spirit talking to me at that time, and I take it that it is just my on thoughts. But I later find out that it was the Holy Spirit that was telling me to do something. There are times that I miss what God is saying to me, due to me being a busy body. I am very busy at times, I sometimes don't hear what God is saying to me.

I can give an example, which is kind of small. I am in the business of AdvoCAre and I sometimes pass out my flyers of my business. But sometimes I just don't feel like taking my flyers with me. So, one day I was going to bible study and I had this thought that I needed to take my flyers with me. But I said, I don't need them, so I want take them with me. So, I went to bible study as usual. At the end of bible study, my business partner told me that she left her flyers at home and needed mine to give to someone in the church, so they could take them and pass them out. So, if I had listened to the Holy Spirit, but at the time I didn't recognize Him telling me that due to me being busy, I missed out on a great opportunity that could have lead me to making money. So, that is just a small example, but trust me there have been big times also.

So, yes, I have missed God's voice and didn't do it, but I have learned to respond and act when God tells me to do something.

Now, I say this. You have to be careful when listening for God's voice, because satan and demons have a voice also.

So, I always test what the voice is telling me to do. God will never tell you to do something that is contradicting His word, or His character.

We all miss God's voice sometimes, so don't let someone lie to you and say that they get it right every single time. Also, I am a very very good procrastinator, so sometimes when I feel the Holy Spirit telling me to do something, I have to sometimes make myself do it, and I know that God is dealing with me in that. I respond to God faster because I don't want God to stop talking with me, or not talk with me in a while.

Quote:
I've been so upset about these several lost opportunies....
Well, I would say just tell your Father that you are sorry for not responding to Him as you should have and ask Him to forgive you. God is faithful when we are not faithful. Just tell Him that you are sorry and that you will work on responding to Him better or faster.

When I realized that I missed God, I repented and asked God to forgive me and that I was sorry. I mean, the God of the universe is talking and interacting with us, shouldn't we give Him all of our attention.

So, please don't beat yourself up, that is what satan wants you to do. Just repent, tell God that you are sorry, and just begin there.

Also, ask the Holy Spirit to help you in that area. That is why He is here, to help us and to guide us. So, the next time you hear something that you think if from God, not only respond, but think about who is talking with you, God, the Creator of the universe. That gets me motivated.

The Almighty God talks and walks with us. Honestly, the thing that bothers me sometimes is this: I know that God loves me, but I know that when I don't respond to God as I should, I know that hurts my Father, and I don't want to grieve Him. So, we need to make every effort to respond when He is speaking to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 01:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,812 times
Shawn, Thank you. Really and truly, thank you for your very thoughtful reply. You really helped me a lot. Its so wonderful to read your posts, and to know that there is another person who believes what I believe.

Your AdvoCare flyer example was a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You do know exactly what I mean.

I'm going to print out your reply--its very special for me because its very clear to me that God put you in my path to take dictation from Him for a message especially for me. And how wonderful is that.

The voices I hear, male and female, are all loving and I've heard them maybe once or twice a year. But mainly I receive messages and direction like you: Through the Holy Spirit, dreams, feelings, scripture, etc.

To be aware of demons is a good warning and I'll be more aware. One time I had a dream with a direction, and as soon as I woke up, someone spoke in my left ear with a voice I didn't like telling me to do something else. It turned out that the dream was the real direction, and I believe it was a demon speaking in my ear trying to misdirect me. He succeeded in misdirecting me which made me so sad that I missed yet another big opportunity to change my life, and I let God and myself down. I was so upset that the demon won, I can't tell you. That was a strange event and has never happened again. I'm not special, but I feel that there sure are a lot of battles going on over my actions. Sometimes I'm just worn out from trying to figure out what to do.

I think every soul is fought over, but some people aren't aware of it so much.

But appealing to the Holy Spirit for help in this area, and asking God for forgiveness when I mess up.....all I can say is thank you. I needed someone to tell me that, to help me. Someone who didn't think I was crazy and who knew what I was talking about. Because believe me, I already have two people who think I'm nuts. And I'm not. I know what I know.

I'm sorry you had a time in your life when you were depressed and suicidal. It sounds like God helped you and took care of you and I'm happy for you. I was just sorry to read that. You seem like a very cool person.

Thank you again. All glory to God, but also feel good because you were chosen. He used you. You did a great thing with these posts. Thousands of people have read them. And for me in particular, He used you to lift me up and send me His love now, when I needed it. I'm so grateful.

Like the song says: "Our God is an awesome God...."

Last edited by jie33; 10-12-2009 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: I meant to delete last paragraph, and misspelled a word

Old 10-14-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jie33 View Post
Shawn, Thank you. Really and truly, thank you for your very thoughtful reply. You really helped me a lot. Its so wonderful to read your posts, and to know that there is another person who believes what I believe.

Your AdvoCare flyer example was a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You do know exactly what I mean.

I'm going to print out your reply--its very special for me because its very clear to me that God put you in my path to take dictation from Him for a message especially for me. And how wonderful is that.

The voices I hear, male and female, are all loving and I've heard them maybe once or twice a year. But mainly I receive messages and direction like you: Through the Holy Spirit, dreams, feelings, scripture, etc.

To be aware of demons is a good warning and I'll be more aware. One time I had a dream with a direction, and as soon as I woke up, someone spoke in my left ear with a voice I didn't like telling me to do something else. It turned out that the dream was the real direction, and I believe it was a demon speaking in my ear trying to misdirect me. He succeeded in misdirecting me which made me so sad that I missed yet another big opportunity to change my life, and I let God and myself down. I was so upset that the demon won, I can't tell you. That was a strange event and has never happened again. I'm not special, but I feel that there sure are a lot of battles going on over my actions. Sometimes I'm just worn out from trying to figure out what to do.

I think every soul is fought over, but some people aren't aware of it so much.

But appealing to the Holy Spirit for help in this area, and asking God for forgiveness when I mess up.....all I can say is thank you. I needed someone to tell me that, to help me. Someone who didn't think I was crazy and who knew what I was talking about. Because believe me, I already have two people who think I'm nuts. And I'm not. I know what I know.

I'm sorry you had a time in your life when you were depressed and suicidal. It sounds like God helped you and took care of you and I'm happy for you. I was just sorry to read that. You seem like a very cool person.

Thank you again. All glory to God, but also feel good because you were chosen. He used you. You did a great thing with these posts. Thousands of people have read them. And for me in particular, He used you to lift me up and send me His love now, when I needed it. I'm so grateful.

Like the song says: "Our God is an awesome God...."
Well, thank you, you just don't know how happy I am for you. Trust me, I know what it feels like for people to think that you are crazy or nuts. But you have to realize that everyone does not understand spiritual things. When God shows you something, it does not mean that everyone will understand you. There is evidence in the bible of people who were walking and following after God, that there were some people who was trying to stop them and even went against them.

That is why it is important to surround yourself with people who are believers and people who can pour into you God's Word. I like to be around people who are spiritually advance than me, because I can learn from them. People who are Mature in their walk with God, can help you with your walk. So, try not to surround yourself with negative people who can't help you spiritually. I call them spirit killers. They only want to stop you.

I am aware that when you read the bible that God's Angels are male, but I do realize that God will use any voice that He wants to use to communicate with His children. Just like when God used the voice of Eli to call Samuel. I heard a voice that sounded like my moms voice, but it wasn't my mom. So, God can do mighty things.

God can speak to us and God might even send an angel to give us a message.

Quote:
I am almost over whelmed by you posting this, because I first started this thread only to hear others and their experience..
But then realized that there are people in the world that have never had this type of experience and attack those who have, due to them not understanding what God is doing in that persons life.

I do make it clear that when you are experiencing hearing an aubible voice that you have to be careful and not mistake a voice for God. God can use this way to talk to you if He likes.

That is why I make sure that I tell people that I can't say if they will every hear God this way, because that is not for me to say. That is up to God. God may even allow for a person to hear an aubible voice that is an Angels voice, but the message will be from God. I say this because I don't want someone to feel if they haven't heard an aubible voice that those who have had that experience are better, because we are all loved by God. No one is better than anyone else, God deals with everyone differently.

I noticed some people on here got the wrong idea and thought I was only saying that God spoke in this way, or that I was saying that an aubible voice was better than hearing God speak to you by your spirit and that is not what I meant. God can speak to us many different ways, and I wanted to hear of those who had the same experience.

Quote:
The voices I hear, male and female, are all loving and I've heard them maybe once or twice a year.
My only advice to you is test every spirit that comes to you. I don't think that you are crazy because God has a voice, but satan and demons have a voice also. So, just make sure you are able to know God's voice from the rest.

I have noticed that God is dealing with me more on dreams. So, I even started a dream journal. God has shown me so much in my dreams and I want to experience Him even more.

I had this dream one time and I thought it was kind of strange at first until I realized what God was actually trying to say. I was a sleep on my floor and dreamed that I was sleeping on the floor. So, what God was doing was basically showing me sleeping in my dream, everything was the same, my room everything. I fell asleep in my jeans and I dreamed that I was in my jeans. Well, in my dream my button popped off of my jeans and then I woke up. I said why would God show me a dream where my button popped off of my jeans. Then I looked down and my button really popped off of my dream for real. I was like OH MY God. So, God showed me something that happend while I was sleep and showed it to me in my dream. God was basically showing me that one, He is communicating with me in my dreams, showing me that He watches over me when I sleep, and allowing for me to understand that when God shows me something, it gives me the confidence to trust Him.

So, please don't allow for people to make you feel crazy because you are not. They are crazy if they are not close enough to God to experience Him in such a way.

You, know If I told you of the encounters that I had with God you would be like wow. Maybe another time.

I just want you to continue to experience God in what ever way that He wants you to experience Him, and don't let people tell you otherwise.

I don't know if you are under a Pastor or attend church, but my church family actually help me in understanding things that God may be saying to me.

I am so happy that you are in a loving relationship with our Father and He will show you things. God created us to have fellowship with Him. He will talk and guide you because you are His child whom He loves very dearly. You are the apple of His eye. What Father does not want to love on His child?

I am just glad that I could help you and it makes me smile knowing that I could help someone in the world.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 10-14-2009 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 06:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Miss Shawn, that's intense.

So, back to the old question, when are you going to teach me this art

Old 10-14-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Miss Shawn, that's intense.

So, back to the old question, when are you going to teach me this art
What art? I don't understand your question. If you are talking about hearing God this way, that is not for me to teach because it is not up to me if you hear God this way. That is between you and God.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 10-14-2009 at 06:41 PM..

Old 12-06-2009, 09:51 PM

5 posts, read 11,750 times
Hey all:

I heard the voice of God one time in my life. I was at a revival, and there was alot of ppl there. I was ferverently praying, asking God to make me closer, that I wanted to be like disciple..etc...all of a sudden I hear "My child, dont you know that I want to nurture you". Just as sudden as I heard that, I got a blessing of the Holy Spirit, I was thanking Jesus, repeatedly, my body was thanking Him, i was not in control of what was going on...it was a blessing. Anyway, after that, I backslid about 15 years...I wonder what I lost for doing that??? I keep this knowledge that God actually spoke to me as if it were a treasure. Its like I have a lil box and the greatest thing in there is that God actually spoke to me.

I'm no longer backslidden, just probably a disobedient child....I'm struggling to do right, lke the rest of us...but I just wanted yall to know that yes, God speaks to some ppl, and I'm just so very grateful to Him that he gave me that blessing..even if I didnt do right by it immediately. God bless all of you, and for those that do not believe, God bless you, keep you, and draw you nigh unto Him.

jade

Old 12-09-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadire View Post
Hey all:

I heard the voice of God one time in my life. I was at a revival, and there was alot of ppl there. I was ferverently praying, asking God to make me closer, that I wanted to be like disciple..etc...all of a sudden I hear "My child, dont you know that I want to nurture you". Just as sudden as I heard that, I got a blessing of the Holy Spirit, I was thanking Jesus, repeatedly, my body was thanking Him, i was not in control of what was going on...it was a blessing. Anyway, after that, I backslid about 15 years...I wonder what I lost for doing that??? I keep this knowledge that God actually spoke to me as if it were a treasure. Its like I have a lil box and the greatest thing in there is that God actually spoke to me.

I'm no longer backslidden, just probably a disobedient child....I'm struggling to do right, lke the rest of us...but I just wanted yall to know that yes, God speaks to some ppl, and I'm just so very grateful to Him that he gave me that blessing..even if I didnt do right by it immediately. God bless all of you, and for those that do not believe, God bless you, keep you, and draw you nigh unto Him.

jade
Thank you for sharing, that was an excellent experience that you had with the Lord.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,663 times
In 1994, I was working out at a warehouse where I had picked up the habit of cussing to let off some steam whenever no one was around.

At one tie, I came across a pamphlet from Bill Rudge Minsitries that convicted me of the words of my mouth. On the back, it led me to make a covenant with my mouth and so I did to stop cussing.

The very next day, I was worst than I ever was before. A though was in my head saying that "You are not His. If you were His, God would have helped you keep your covenant."

I had stopped listening to the devil, but being at my wits end, I prayed to God,"Why aren't you helping me? You know I do not want to do this!"

A small still voice speaking to my spirit came: "You made the covenant. You said you were going to do it. I had made the Covenant and I said I am going to do it. All I asks from you is to believe on Me."

I was humbled that day as Jesus set me free from that yoke of bondage.

I know that every experience as such as these need to be confirmed by the Word of God and so He had provided the scriptures to confirm what I had heard: Galatians 5:1 Galatians 3:1-3 Matthew 5:33-37 -> not the CEV Bible for it says it is okay to make a promise, but that was not the meaning of God's words because Jesus gave the reason why in the King James Bible in verse 36. People of old times as the law requires, performed their oathes to the Lord. Some goes so far to swear it with a bond, but the reason why Jesus spoke against man made bondages was that in verse 36, we cannot make one hair white or black, but God can.

Our confidence is not in our flesh but by faith in the Son of God to finish His workmanship in us what He has started by the Spirit. Philippians 1:6,9-11. Psalm 100:3 Psalm 118:8 Galatians 2:20-21 John 1:12-13

The just shall live by faith, but the law is not of faith and those that do them must live in them therefore by the deeds of the law or the religious bondage, is the knowledge of sin.

Either I acknowledge that God's New Covenant is complete and lacking nothing that it needs me to tack my filthy rags of righetousness over what He is doing, or I am labouring in unbelief, risking condemnation for seeking to obatin righteousness by the deeds of the law or so to speak, over come sin and make myself good by my effort or will power.

So the Lord helped me to see His Covenant and the futlity on the part of mine in taking on something religiously when He will do it as I trust Him to do it.

As Promise Keepers was sweeping the valley with my former church as the headquarters, I was warning everyone, including the two Bible studies I had gone to during the week which was not held by my former church but elsewhere.

A few from each Bible Study had gone there. The irony was that one said that PK was not about making promises to God but to man in helping us be accountable to God and to each other. They knew it was wrong to make promises to God. The other Bible study, one testified that PK was about making promises to God and not to man because man cannot always be there to help us be accountable in keeping our promises.

Looking back now, I had almost wished I had gotten those few men each of those two Bible study groups to come together to hear each other since obviously, they went to the same convention in Pittsburgh. As I spoke against PK, fellow believers were holding me in contempt that I was never there and cannot speak against it, and yet in spite of the few men from each Bible study group that did went, I know it is about both, making promises to god and to man. even though I did not go there. No one has to go to a Mosque to know what is being taught there. One look at the seven promises of the PK program told me all I needed to know.. and that only God can keep those promises in making them good hubands and good fathers. They should have exhorted one another to do good, nit looking to the law to get them to do it, but by faith in the Son of God to do it.

One man, a catholic/mason, from one group defended PK by stating that making a commitment to follow Christ or to Christ is like a promise.

It was then that I realize why I was so double-minded all my life, doing the best I can and failing to the point of quitting the deacon twice, even though whenever I turned to the Lord for help, He would, and once I was restored, I felt obliged to thank Him by trying harder again to do the best I can and plop... failed.

At last the Lord set me free from all my yokes of bondages as I rest in Him and all His promises to me to help me live the christian life by faith in the Son fo God for He is My Good Shepherd as well as My Saviour!!!

Whoo hoo hoo !!!!!!!!!

I trust Him to keep His promise to me in preventing me from falling and to present me fautless to His glory: Jude 1:24-25 as all my hopes are on Him for living the christian life as well as eternal life. 1 John 3:3

May God enables those that are double-minded like I was to receive this as it is on Him to cause the increase, but I thank Jesus Christ for coming to my rescue and restoring me to the path of righteousness for His name's sake as the Good News is about Him as He is the joy of my salvation. Amen.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
no doubt this is the jeer and mock thread but i will take the bait
yes i have. 3 times, 1 very audible for sure other 2 not sure low frequency????
simple but very important instructions for me to carry out immediately. did a lota good.
all 3 times i was in very bad circumstances.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-09-2009 at 07:24 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
In 1994, I was working out at a warehouse where I had picked up the habit of cussing to let off some steam whenever no one was around.

At one tie, I came across a pamphlet from Bill Rudge Minsitries that convicted me of the words of my mouth. On the back, it led me to make a covenant with my mouth and so I did to stop cussing.

The very next day, I was worst than I ever was before. A though was in my head saying that "You are not His. If you were His, God would have helped you keep your covenant."

I had stopped listening to the devil, but being at my wits end, I prayed to God,"Why aren't you helping me? You know I do not want to do this!"

A small still voice speaking to my spirit came: "You made the covenant. You said you were going to do it. I had made the Covenant and I said I am going to do it. All I asks from you is to believe on Me."

I was humbled that day as Jesus set me free from that yoke of bondage.

I know that every experience as such as these need to be confirmed by the Word of God and so He had provided the scriptures to confirm what I had heard: Galatians 5:1 Galatians 3:1-3 Matthew 5:33-37 -> not the CEV Bible for it says it is okay to make a promise, but that was not the meaning of God's words because Jesus gave the reason why in the King James Bible in verse 36. People of old times as the law requires, performed their oathes to the Lord. Some goes so far to swear it with a bond, but the reason why Jesus spoke against man made bondages was that in verse 36, we cannot make one hair white or black, but God can.

Our confidence is not in our flesh but by faith in the Son of God to finish His workmanship in us what He has started by the Spirit. Philippians 1:6,9-11. Psalm 100:3 Psalm 118:8 Galatians 2:20-21 John 1:12-13

The just shall live by faith, but the law is not of faith and those that do them must live in them therefore by the deeds of the law or the religious bondage, is the knowledge of sin.

Either I acknowledge that God's New Covenant is complete and lacking nothing that it needs me to tack my filthy rags of righetousness over what He is doing, or I am labouring in unbelief, risking condemnation for seeking to obatin righteousness by the deeds of the law or so to speak, over come sin and make myself good by my effort or will power.

So the Lord helped me to see His Covenant and the futlity on the part of mine in taking on something religiously when He will do it as I trust Him to do it.

As Promise Keepers was sweeping the valley with my former church as the headquarters, I was warning everyone, including the two Bible studies I had gone to during the week which was not held by my former church but elsewhere.

A few from each Bible Study had gone there. The irony was that one said that PK was not about making promises to God but to man in helping us be accountable to God and to each other. They knew it was wrong to make promises to God. The other Bible study, one testified that PK was about making promises to God and not to man because man cannot always be there to help us be accountable in keeping our promises.

Looking back now, I had almost wished I had gotten those few men each of those two Bible study groups to come together to hear each other since obviously, they went to the same convention in Pittsburgh. As I spoke against PK, fellow believers were holding me in contempt that I was never there and cannot speak against it, and yet in spite of the few men from each Bible study group that did went, I know it is about both, making promises to god and to man. even though I did not go there. No one has to go to a Mosque to know what is being taught there. One look at the seven promises of the PK program told me all I needed to know.. and that only God can keep those promises in making them good hubands and good fathers. They should have exhorted one another to do good, nit looking to the law to get them to do it, but by faith in the Son of God to do it.

One man, a catholic/mason, from one group defended PK by stating that making a commitment to follow Christ or to Christ is like a promise.

It was then that I realize why I was so double-minded all my life, doing the best I can and failing to the point of quitting the deacon twice, even though whenever I turned to the Lord for help, He would, and once I was restored, I felt obliged to thank Him by trying harder again to do the best I can and plop... failed.

At last the Lord set me free from all my yokes of bondages as I rest in Him and all His promises to me to help me live the christian life by faith in the Son fo God for He is My Good Shepherd as well as My Saviour!!!

Whoo hoo hoo !!!!!!!!!

I trust Him to keep His promise to me in preventing me from falling and to present me fautless to His glory: Jude 1:24-25 as all my hopes are on Him for living the christian life as well as eternal life. 1 John 3:3

May God enables those that are double-minded like I was to receive this as it is on Him to cause the increase, but I thank Jesus Christ for coming to my rescue and restoring me to the path of righteousness for His name's sake as the Good News is about Him as He is the joy of my salvation. Amen.
Thank you for sharing your experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity