Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times

Advertisements

It wasn't quite audible but as close as you can get without being. I was a new Christian and had quit going to church for a couple months after moving to another state. But I was craving it so strongly--church. I felt I had lost touch with God for a while. So, I went and as I paused during a prayer to think, "You came back to me" to God, and continued praying again, I heard what I describe as an almost audible voice say, simply, "I never left you". It startled me so that I opened my eyes and looked on both sides of me to see if anyone was messing with me but logically I realized no one knew what I was thinking to do that. I've since grown a lot as a Christian and realize you don't need to be in church to feel close to God but be in the right heart and mind regardless of where you are.

I've had at least one other such incident. It's kind of startling when it happens, which tells me it wasn't just my own thoughts. I didn't used to tell people this b'c some think it's flakey but I don't care about that anymore. They just scoff at what they can't comprehend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 12:47 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
It wasn't quite audible but as close as you can get without being. I was a new Christian and had quit going to church for a couple months after moving to another state. But I was craving it so strongly--church. I felt I had lost touch with God for a while. So, I went and as I paused during a prayer to think, "You came back to me" to God, and continued praying again, I heard what I describe as an almost audible voice say, simply, "I never left you". It startled me so that I opened my eyes and looked on both sides of me to see if anyone was messing with me but logically I realized no one knew what I was thinking to do that. I've since grown a lot as a Christian and realize you don't need to be in church to feel close to God but be in the right heart and mind regardless of where you are.

I've had at least one other such incident. It's kind of startling when it happens, which tells me it wasn't just my own thoughts. I didn't used to tell people this b'c some think it's flakey but I don't care about that anymore. They just scoff at what they can't comprehend.

I am happy for you...the startling voice was just as I experienced after waking that morning from my "strange" dream. I looked around (same as you, really knowing noone physically was there)...it was out of the blue and very unexpected--startling as you said.
But I knew just as you did...Thank you for sharing.
I wish more people could experience these "startling" moments

Experiencing these things makes God all the more real for us and gives us much faith....Thank you, God.

Last edited by *sherry*; 02-03-2009 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,144 times
Yes, I have hear God's voice many times. The most prominant time was when I was in my teens. I said to God "Life is just a game, in the end when the game is done you can figure out what to do with me!". Immediately after I said this while in my bedroom. I heard a loud voice, as if someone had put a pot over my head and hit it with a hammer. The voice said "Life is not a game!" I was stunned and said "Is that you Lord?", but I knew full well that it was.

My mother had a similar loud voice shout at her. She used to babysit kids when I was young. One teenager that she was watching was mad because she corrected him for something he was doing. My mother turned to walk away and a loud voice said "duck". She immediately ducked and a large pair of steel sissor flew over her head.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,390 times
So for everybody with hard evidence, with sensual experiences of God - no need for faith, eh? Isn't that skipping a step? How come you got a "sign" presented to you when everybody else is supposed to do it the hard way?
There sure are a lot of you, though. Maybe nobody needs to have faith. Just wait for the voices...

Old 02-03-2009, 01:28 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
So for everybody with hard evidence, with sensual experiences of God - no need for faith, eh? Isn't that skipping a step? How come you got a "sign" presented to you when everybody else is supposed to do it the hard way?
There sure are a lot of you, though. Maybe nobody needs to have faith. Just wait for the voices...
No one said faith was blind. Faith is following.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:32 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
On the contrary, I think the great depth of our faith is the reason God graced us with these experiences.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
On the contrary, I think the great depth of our faith is the reason God graced us with these experiences.
It seems to work differently with me.. God talks to me in spite of my unbelief.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:36 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,092 times
Has anyone recorded the voice of God, or are you just hearing voices inside your head? Voices inside your head are known as auditory hallucinations and are associated with mental disorders.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Has anyone recorded the voice of God, or are you just hearing voices inside your head? Voices inside your head are known as auditory hallucinations and are associated with mental disorders.
Call me crazy!

Actually, what we are talking about would not fit under either category (audible sound or auditory hallucination). It is something entirely different.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:53 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Call me crazy!

Actually, what we are talking about would not fit under either category (audible sound or auditory hallucination). It is something entirely different.
OK - but the OP was asking about audible voices (granted, the OP is asking about things heard "while sleeping"!).
I thought we were talking about audible sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity