U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-03-2009, 12:01 PM
 
988 posts, read 1,573,644 times
Reputation: 116

Advertisements

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO *COMMIT* SIN?

When a person breaks the law of God (the Ten Commandments) he
has sinned. However, the Scriptures distinguish between sins of
ignorance and sins of presumption.

* When a person breaks the law unknowingly the Bible calls it
a sin of ignorance. (This person does not "COMMIT" sin).

* When a person breaks the law deliberately it is called a
presumptuous sin. (This person does "COMMIT" sin).

The word COMMIT means: "to do; perpetrate, as a crime". In the
Greek it is poieo which means: to make. To commit sin means to
make sin; it is a deliberate act such as God making the universe.
Therefore, one who sins in ignorance never commits sin. On the other
hand, one who sins presumptuously always commits sin. It is vital to
understand what it means to commit sin because the apostle John said:

"HE THAT COMMITTETH SIN IS OF THE DEVIL;

WHOSOEVER IS BORN OF GOD DOTH NOT COMMIT SIN."
1 JOHN 3:8-9

One of the greatest deceptions being taught today is that the phrase
"to commit sin" really means "to practice sin" or "to sin habitually".
Those who teach that perversion say that if one deliberately breaks
God's law only "occasionally" he is not really committing (practicing)
sin. Recently a minister told me that if he were to commit adultery a
few years down the road he would not be practicing sin. I asked him
how often could he do it and not be "practicing sin"? He said "...about
every eight years or so".

According to that theory, every person becomes his own judge of
how many sins must be committed before he is guilty of practicing sin.
Human nature being what it is, a person would always find a way to
convince himself that he is sinning just below the point of "practicing"
sin. For example, one person thinks he is guilty if he commits adultery
every eight years or so, another every five years, and for another
perhaps once a year, etc. Those who teach that abominable theory
say that because a person does not have a "lifestyle" of sin or does not
sin habitually (whatever that means) he is not really "committing" sin.

To say that to commit sin means "to practice sin or to sin habitually" is simply the devil's device to keep the guilty sinner from feeling
condemned. The reality is that if a person knowingly breaks God's
law even once, he is committing sin. How many sins did Adam
commit before he was guilty?


The Greek word used for "to commit" is in itself absolute proof that
commit does not mean practice. In the Greek NT there are two
words that are commonly used to express the idea of doing something.

The first is "poieo", the second is "prasso". Please listen to what
Strong's Greek Dictionary Of The New Testament has to say about
those two words.

4160 poieo, poy-eh'o; appar. a prol. form of an obsol.
prim.; to make or do (in a very wide application)


4238 prasso, pru'-so; a prim. verb; to "practice", i.e.
perform repeatedly or habitually (thus differing from 4160 [poieo]
which properly refers to a single act).

When John said "Whosoever is born of God doth not COMMIT sin
he used the word "poieo", (to make or do sin with the idea of a single
act). If he had meant to say "practice" sin he would have used
"prasso".


I ask you how many deliberate sins must a person commit before he is
committing sin? How many murders must one commit before he is a
murderer? How often must one commit adultery before he is an
adulterer?

At this point, we must be careful to distinguish between sins of
ignorance and sins committed presumptuously because the sins done
in ignorance can be forgiven but presumptuous sin will not be forgiven. For example, in the book of Numbers, we find those two types of sin compared:

SINS OF IGNORANCE (These were forgiven)

Numbers 15:27 And if any soul sin through IGNORANCE, then he
shall bring a she goat of the first year for a sin offering.

15:28 An the priest shall make an atonement for the soul that
SINNETH IGNORANTLY, when he sinneth by ignorance before the
Lord, to make an atonement for him; and it shall be forgiven him.

SINS OF PRESUMPTION (Not forgiven)

Numbers 15:30 BUT the soul that doeth aught
PRESUMPTUOUSLY, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger,
the same reproacheth [blasphemeth] the Lord; and that soul shall be
cut off from among his people.

15:31 Because he hath despised the word of the Lord, and hath
broken his commandment, that soul shall be utterly cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him."

Those Israelites who deliberately broke God's commandments were
not forgiven! Today, many people think that things are different since
the resurrection of our Lord Jesus. They say that their WILLFUL sins
are "under the blood of Christ" and therefore forgiven. Are they
correct? God forbid! The apostle John said sins were cleansed only
"IF" we walk in the light:

1 John 1:7 "But IF we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we
have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Christ His Son
cleanseth us from all sin."

Are we cleansed from both sins of ignorance and presumptuous sin?
The answer is obvious: we are cleansed only from sins of ignorance.
The condition for cleansing is that we must "walk in the light". If a
believer is deliberately doing what he knows to be sin, he is not
walking in the light. Therefore, the blood of Christ does not cleanse
from willful sin.


BLOOD COVERS ERRORS ONLY

The precepts of God do not change. In the Old Testament, the
blood sacrifice of animals was a type looking forward to the blood
sacrifice of Christ. In the New Testament, the apostle Paul confirmed
that the blood sacrifice covered only the ERRORS of the people
never the presumptuous or willful sin.

Paul said this:

Hebrews 9:7 "But into the second [tabernacle] went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for
himself, and for the ERRORS of the people."

The word "error" is from the Greek: agnoema, which means: "a sin,
(strictly, that committed through ignorance or thoughtlessness)".
Thayer's Greek Lexicon (Strong's # 51) Many people believe that the
blood sacrifice covered all the deliberate sins of the people of Israel,
but as you can see, it covered only ERRORS (i.e. the sins of
ignorance). It is the same with the blood of Christ.

When we are truly "born of God" the blood of Christ covers all past
sins and all future sins of ignorance. But those who deliberately
transgress the law of God are committing presumptuous sin and the
blood of Jesus Christ does not cover their willful disobedience.

Paul carefully warned Christians that the sacrifice of Jesus would not
cover willful sin.

He wrote:

Hebrews 10:26 "For if we SIN WILFULLY after that we have
received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth NO MORE
SACRIFICE FOR SINS.

10:27 BUT a certain fearful looking for of judgement and fiery
indignation which shall devour the adversaries."

The adversaries are those who rebel against God. They are believers
who have "come to the knowledge of the truth" and have been set free from the power of sin. They have the law of God written in their
hearts by the Holy Spirit and yet break it with a high hand. By their
rebellion, they become the enemy of God and will be punished with
Satan and his angels.

In response to this, many will point to King David and his affair with
Bathsheba and the murder of Uriah. They will say that David sinned
presumptuously and God forgave him! That is indeed a good question
which demands an answer. The simplest response is to let the
Scriptures decide why David was forgiven. The answer is is that
David had not yet grown to the point where God considered him to be
a "righteous man" as defined by the Lord in the book of Ezekiel.

Ezekiel 18:21 "But if the WICKED turn away from all his sins that he
hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful
and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

18:24 "But when the RIGHTEOUS turneth away from his
righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his
righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die."

The Lord says that if a WICKED man (as David proved himself to
be) turned way from all his sins he would live, [verse 21] but if the
RIGHTEOUS man turned back to his wicked ways he would die.
[verse 24]

If, in fact, David had fully repented and turned from his wickedness
before his sin with Bathsheba, he would have been a righteous man
who had turned away from his righteousness and therefore
condemned to death. However, since we know that David was not
condemned, we also know that he could not have been a "righteous"
man when he committed sin with Bathsheba.

It is the same today, if a wicked man turns away from his
wickedness he will be forgiven, but the believer who has been
delivered from his sin and then turns back to it (like the dog returning
to his vomit) (2 Peter 2:21) he will be condemned to death on
Judgement Day.

Christians who think they can commit willful sin and still be saved from God's wrath because their sin will be covered by the blood of Christ have been deceived by the same Great Serpent who seduced Eve into disobeying God's law by saying: "Ye shall not surely die." Please do not listen to that liar or his modern day helpers. Listen instead to the apostle John:

"HE THAT COMMITTETH SIN IS OF THE DEVIL"

"WHOSOEVER IS BORN OF GOD DOTH NOT COMMIT SIN"
1 JOHN 3:8-9

In order to have eternal life, the Christian must come to the point
where he has ceased from willful sin completely and forever. No
matter what one has been told by his church, the Bible says that
anyone who finds himself still committing willful sin is not born of God.

We are not truly born of God until we have totally committed
ourselves to obey God's law and surrendered our own will completely
to His will. At that stage of growth, we do not yet understand the sin
nature that is buried deep within our souls. We often break God's law
without knowing it.

Since the sin is done in ignorance, the atoning death of Jesus covers it.
But once we recognize that what we are doing is sin and confess it, we MUST stop doing it. If we refuse to stop, we are guilty of rebellion
and will be condemned on Judgement Day because we refused to
accept Jesus as our Lord.

Think about it...If we do not obey Jesus, He is not our Lord! Jesus
asked:

"And why call ye me, Lord, Lord and do not the things I say?"
Luke 6:46

Remember, John said: "...whosoever is born of God SINNETH
NOT". (1 John 5:18) As sin is revealed by the Holy Spirit those who
really are born of God quit doing it. Eventually all sin is revealed and
thus they quit doing all sin. On the other hand, the Christian who
continues to disobey even one of God's Ten Commandments
(including the Sabbath) is in rebellion. There will be no rebels
in God's kingdom.

Test yourself. Are you still committing willful sin? If so, the Bible
says you are not yet born of God. You can be sure that you will be
condemned to death for your rebellion against the Law of God. Your
only hope is to repent and call upon Jesus to deliver you from your
bondage to sin. The good news is that God cannot fail if only you will
obey Him.


Harold Kupp
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2009, 12:08 PM
 
37,472 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Reputation: 5851
Repeatedly posting these misinterpretations of sin . . . is to commit sin, IMO.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
 
2,065 posts, read 4,160,552 times
Reputation: 972
Default False teachings

I'm finding myself struggling to "love" my neighbor... hate the sin and love the sinner.

"warning Will Robinson.... warning"!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2009, 12:20 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,446,997 times
Reputation: 746
The Law is so beautiful and you are making it ugly and legalistic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2009, 12:25 PM
 
37,472 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Reputation: 5851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
The Law is so beautiful and you are making it ugly and legalistic.
The absence of the love of Jesus and the grace of God is what makes it ugly and legalistic, Fundy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2009, 12:27 PM
 
3,086 posts, read 5,561,142 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
In order to have eternal life, the Christian must come to the point
where he has ceased from willful sin completely and forever. No
matter what one has been told by his church, the Bible says that
anyone who finds himself still committing willful sin is not born of God.

We are not truly born of God until we have totally committed
ourselves to obey God's law and surrendered our own will completely
to His will. At that stage of growth, we do not yet understand the sin
nature that is buried deep within our souls. We often break God's law
without knowing it.

Since the sin is done in ignorance, the atoning death of Jesus covers it.
But once we recognize that what we are doing is sin and confess it, we MUST stop doing it. If we refuse to stop, we are guilty of rebellion
and will be condemned on Judgement Day because we refused to
accept Jesus as our Lord.
I agree that someone who is committing willful sin will not remain guiltless in God's eyes.. but at the same time, when God saves us and we become born of God, it is a complete work. Finished. What I mean by that is.. to reach that point, we must be completely surrendered, and at that point, we are saved.. and would go to heaven if we died at that point.

Not to say that there is not sanctification needed.. there is. Everyone is a work in progress. As we grow, God will continue to work with us. Things that we once did thoughtlessly, God will show us as needing a change. But we still entered this path by being born of God, not the other way around. God does not finally save us when we are perfect.. rather, He saves us when we are sinners.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM
 
Location: MI
1,289 posts, read 1,861,156 times
Reputation: 290
When your entire being cries out against something...when you feel you are breaking apart over words...there is something wrong.

Why is it some must concentrate so hard on sin? If we are following the Greatest Commandment, He will make us...He is the Potter...we are the clay!

It is not complex! Love the Lord your God!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2009, 12:51 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 6,627,476 times
Reputation: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Repeatedly posting these misinterpretations of sin . . . is to commit sin, IMO.
But you're forgetting the holiest trinity:
The Dividend, The Profit, The Payoff.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2009, 12:55 PM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,579,172 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
But you're forgetting the holiest trinity:
The Dividend, The Profit, The Payoff.
kissing your feet and the soil youre treading on for saying it aloud.

... from the amen corner, with passion!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2009, 01:06 PM
 
3,086 posts, read 5,561,142 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
* When a person breaks the law unknowingly the Bible calls it
a sin of ignorance. (This person does not "COMMIT" sin).

* When a person breaks the law deliberately it is called a
presumptuous sin. (This person does "COMMIT" sin).
I disagree. If we are sinning, whether it is intentionally or ignorantly, we are committing sin. We are sinful and of the dust of the earth. What you are not factoring in is God's grace:
What is God's grace?

God's grace is the only way we can be saved. Sin is sin, and God cannot accept any of it. God's grace is the only way we can appear righteous before Him when we unintentionally sin.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top