Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:56 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times

Advertisements

What is the difference between an elder and a pastor? I read the word pastor in the bible to mean elder/overseer. So aren't an elder and a pastor the same thing? I realize many today call the preacher/minister pastor, but why? This becomes confusing to me. When you refer to the preacher as the pastor, are you saying he has all the authority of an elder?

In the congregation I attend, you will find the roles of authority as this:
Elders
Deacons
Preacher
Saints

Is that how it is in your church?

While we're on the topic, why do you give titles to some in the church? Although there may be a sort of leadership in the church I attend, we don't call the preacher "Reverend Soandso", or "Preacher Soandso", or the elders "Elder Soandso", or "Pastor Soandso"...know what I mean?

PS...I guess the title thing I'm just curious about, but the whole "pastor" thing I'm really confused on, especially when I read a thread, and when I read "pastor" I automatically think elder...so your explanations will help me when I read posts in the future. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
What is the difference between an elder and a pastor? I read the word pastor in the bible to mean elder/overseer. So aren't an elder and a pastor the same thing? I realize many today call the preacher/minister pastor, but why? This becomes confusing to me. When you refer to the preacher as the pastor, are you saying he has all the authority of an elder?
The Bible lists 5 gift ministries. These are gifts given to the church, to help the church to prosper.

Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, Teachers.

A healthy body needs the services of each type of ministry to be fully healthy.

Whereas Deacons, bishops, overseers, are men chosen by the body, from within the body, to positions where they are given responsibilities. To see for the care of widows and orphans, to oversee the daily operations.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:04 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:

In the congregation I attend, you will find the roles of authority as this:
Elders
Deacons
Preacher
Saints

Is that how it is in your church?

While we're on the topic, why do you give titles to some in the church? Although there may be a sort of leadership in the church I attend, we don't call the preacher "Reverend Soandso", or "Preacher Soandso", or the elders "Elder Soandso", or "Pastor Soandso"...know what I mean?

PS...I guess the title thing I'm just curious about, but the whole "pastor" thing I'm really confused on, especially when I read a thread, and when I read "pastor" I automatically think elder...so your explanations will help me when I read posts in the future. Thanks!
I'm gonna give a list of how some Churches do it...

Pastors lead, and administer the daily operations of the church
Preachers ... teach by verbal methods, generally from the pulpit
(Pastor and preachers are often done by the same person)... and should receive a double honor.
Elders generally are non ordained lay leadership. Primary function is to lead. In addition most Pastors who lead (some called senior Pastor) are Elders.
Deacons generally are non ordained and perform the functions of day to day helping, could be anything from janitrial to offering collection, primary function is to serve.
Saints are believers... includes all the above... I hope

I'm gonna paint a word picture ... or at least I'll try

The pastor is the head... the preacher is the mouth... the elders are the bones and the deacons are the hands and feet.... and the saints are the whole body.

Hows dat?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:26 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

(Pastor and preachers are often done by the same person)... and should receive a double honor.
Elders generally are non ordained lay leadership. Primary function is to lead. In addition most Pastors who lead (some called senior Pastor) are Elders.
Deacons generally are non ordained and perform the functions of day to day helping, could be anything from janitrial to offering collection, primary function is to serve.

The pastor is the head... the preacher is the mouth... the elders are the bones and the deacons are the hands and feet.... and the saints are the whole body.

Hows dat?
Hmm, Where is Jesus in that body of yours? He got left out, and that is part of the reason I belong to no flock on earth, just to His and His Kingdom. Not to put you down or anything, but most times when I see what a church is, or how they conduct themselves outside of Sunday, it makes me sad. How they interact with governments also make me sad.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Hmm, Where is Jesus in that body of yours? He got left out, and that is part of the reason I belong to no flock on earth, just to His and His Kingdom.
Off topic... your missing the point.... the Op was talking about how it works in "a" church. Of course Christ is the head of the whole Church... as in every Christian Church... but that wasn't the question in the Op.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,793 times
In Acts 20 :17 Paul called for the Elders of Ephesus.
Strong's Concordance defines Elders this way:

(elderly); older; as noun, a senior; specifically an Israelite Sanhedrist (also figuratively, member of the celestial council) or Christian "presbyter": - elder (-est), old

Acts 20:17 And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church.

In Acts 20:28 Paul gives the elders a charge to take heed to themselves and to all the flock, which the Holy Ghost has made them overseers, to feed the church of God. Elders are not chosen by the body.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

So far we have seen that Elders are Overseers.
Now we move to Bishop:
1 Timothy 3:1-7
This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

A bishop must be able to teach. Strong's Concordance list a bishop as:
a superintendent, that is, Christian officer in general charge of a (or the) church (literally or figuratively): - bishop, overseer.
Titus 1:5 For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:
Titus 1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.
Titus 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self-willed, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
Titus 1:8 But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
Titus 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Now we see that Elders (Mature/Older), Bishops (Overseers) are the same office, And they are to care for the flock and feed the flock.[/SIZE]

Storng's Concordance defines pastor (Ephesians 4:11) as a shepherd.

Of uncertain affinity; a shepherd (literally or figuratively): - shepherd, pastor.[/SIZE]

The pastor is to shepherd the flock. Jesus is the Chief Shepherd and pastors are the under-shepherds. They are to feed the flock of God and take the oversight of...not as lording it over the flock but leading by example.

A preacher is one who proclaims. There is a difference between a preacher and a pastor. Preach is defined in Strong's Concordance as:
to herald (as a public crier), especially divine truth (the gospel): - preach (-er), proclaim, publish.

Elder, Bishop, Pastor are all the same office.

Bishop Calvin J. Winslow, Pastor
New Life Family Worship Center
Church of God
1260 Lake Avenue
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83402
(208) 525-8794
http://www.forministry.com/USIDCOGCLNLFWC
RevWinslow@msn.com

Last edited by Bishop C. Winslow, Pastor; 02-04-2009 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: Shortened it up

Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
[quote=Dave_n_Tenn;7315572]I'm gonna give a list of how some Churches do it...

Hows dat?[/QUOTE]

Dat's very goot!

Bud

Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

Hows dat?
So you're saying a pastor isn't an elder or a preacher, but it's own thing? Cuz from your definitions, it seems a pastor is an elder?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop C. Winslow, Pastor View Post
In Acts 20 :17 Paul called for the Elders of Ephesus.
Strong's Concordance defines Elders this way:

(elderly); older; as noun, a senior; specifically an Israelite Sanhedrist (also figuratively, member of the celestial council) or Christian "presbyter": - elder (-est), old

Acts 20:17 And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church.

In Acts 20:28 Paul gives the elders a charge to take heed to themselves and to all the flock, which the Holy Ghost has made them overseers, to feed the church of God. Elders are not chosen by the body.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

So far we have seen that Elders are Overseers.
Now we move to Bishop:
1 Timothy 3:1-7
This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

A bishop must be able to teach. Strong's Concordance list a bishop as:
a superintendent, that is, Christian officer in general charge of a (or the) church (literally or figuratively): - bishop, overseer.
Titus 1:5 For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:
Titus 1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.
Titus 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self-willed, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
Titus 1:8 But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
Titus 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Now we see that Elders (Mature/Older), Bishops (Overseers) are the same office, And they are to care for the flock and feed the flock.[/SIZE]

Storng's Concordance defines pastor (Ephesians 4:11) as a shepherd.

Of uncertain affinity; a shepherd (literally or figuratively): - shepherd, pastor.[/SIZE]

The pastor is to shepherd the flock. Jesus is the Chief Shepherd and pastors are the under-shepherds. They are to feed the flock of God and take the oversight of...not as lording it over the flock but leading by example.

A preacher is one who proclaims. There is a difference between a preacher and a pastor. Preach is defined in Strong's Concordance as:
to herald (as a public crier), especially divine truth (the gospel): - preach (-er), proclaim, publish.

Elder, Bishop, Pastor are all the same office.

Bishop Calvin J. Winslow, Pastor
New Life Family Worship Center
Church of God
1260 Lake Avenue
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83402
(208) 525-8794
http://www.forministry.com/USIDCOGCLNLFWC
RevWinslow@msn.com
Ok, now that's how I see it too. But the reason I'm confused is that it seems when people refer to pastors on here, they're speaking of their preacher. So, since you have pastor after your name, you're an elder in the church?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
So you're saying a pastor isn't an elder or a preacher, but it's own thing? Cuz from your definitions, it seems a pastor is an elder?
There is always some wiggle room when it comes to Elders. Let me explain...

Some churches have more than 1 (one) Pastor. Generally... the senior Pastor is an Elder, and not the others. Some churches include all the Pastors... youth, worship, associate.... but it then makes it difficult to move from item to item on the agenda... when meeting to do God's work.

I'd like to add... Elders (excluding the Pastors) in my mind, should not be overt in their identity.... meaning "keep a low profile"... not hidden, but not walking around saying "look at me". St. Francis Asissi said "preach the Gospel always... and sometimes use words".
Elders are the bones... the part inside that supports everything else. Healthy bones are good, but should stay out of view... (skeletons are scary).

are we getting there yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity