U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,388,556 times

Advertisements

OK, let's see if I can put this the way I hear it in my head...

I have been going through First Communion classes with my daughter and tonight we were talking about the Eucharist and this is what I hear from a couple of women sitting near me...

"Do you know if the children taking First Communion have to drink the wine?"

"I don't drink the wine. I don't expect my children to."

"Yeah, that's how I feel. I don't want to drink the yucky wine. I mean, It's yucky. And I'm a nurse, so I know."

Now, we are 'sort of' in an intermission point. The children are going to their classes and the parents are waiting for the Priest to get back in to start our class. However, there is only about 5 minutes before the Priest will be back and I am sitting here thinking that I really need to say something, but don't. My justification is that there is not enough time and this is not the right place. (What better place could there have been?) Here are my thoughts...

I am a fairly new convert. I was confirmed in 2003. I LOVE the Mass. I sit there with eyes open, watching, listening, and feeling every thing that I can. I watch the Priest very intently when he is saying the Eucharistic prayer. I love the words, "Lord, I am not worthy. But only say the word and I shall be healed." I would never pass by the chalice. I am frustrated when churches do not offer it. For me to sit there and hear these women say it is yucky wine and do nothing has me upset. We are Catholic! It is our faith, our belief that the bread and wine are no longer just bread and wine. THEY ARE THE BODY AND BLOOD OF OUR SAVIOUR! This is our faith. This is who we are. Am I wrong?

What I am asking for is; What do you believe? Do you pass the chalice by? If so, why? Help me to understand.

Obviously, if you are not Catholic and you are reading this thread, you cannot answer my question and I ask you politely to refrain from any negative comments.

Thanks in advance. I just had to come out of hiding. I didn't know who else to ask.

<><
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,560,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
OK, let's see if I can put this the way I hear it in my head...

I have been going through First Communion classes with my daughter and tonight we were talking about the Eucharist and this is what I hear from a couple of women sitting near me...

"Do you know if the children taking First Communion have to drink the wine?"

"I don't drink the wine. I don't expect my children to."

"Yeah, that's how I feel. I don't want to drink the yucky wine. I mean, It's yucky. And I'm a nurse, so I know."

Now, we are 'sort of' in an intermission point. The children are going to their classes and the parents are waiting for the Priest to get back in to start our class. However, there is only about 5 minutes before the Priest will be back and I am sitting here thinking that I really need to say something, but don't. My justification is that there is not enough time and this is not the right place. (What better place could there have been?) Here are my thoughts...

I am a fairly new convert. I was confirmed in 2003. I LOVE the Mass. I sit there with eyes open, watching, listening, and feeling every thing that I can. I watch the Priest very intently when he is saying the Eucharistic prayer. I love the words, "Lord, I am not worthy. But only say the word and I shall be healed." I would never pass by the chalice. I am frustrated when churches do not offer it. For me to sit there and hear these women say it is yucky wine and do nothing has me upset. We are Catholic! It is our faith, our belief that the bread and wine are no longer just bread and wine. THEY ARE THE BODY AND BLOOD OF OUR SAVIOUR! This is our faith. This is who we are. Am I wrong?

What I am asking for is; What do you believe? Do you pass the chalice by? If so, why? Help me to understand.

Obviously, if you are not Catholic and you are reading this thread, you cannot answer my question and I ask you politely to refrain from any negative comments.

Thanks in advance. I just had to come out of hiding. I didn't know who else to ask.

<><
No, you are not wrong, and I love your enthusiasm

The truth is though, no one is required to take the chalyce and drink - taking Jesus in the form of the communion host is sufficient. Personally, I have quit drinking from the chalyce during flu season - but I get sick real easily and just view this as a prudent thing to do.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,526,363 times
I glad you have such a love for mass. While I'm not a convert, I too deeply love mass. Those words you mentioned are so humbling.

But to the subject at hand. I do pass over the chalice at times. Only when I'm sick. Just as a courtesy to others. Also like lovesmoutains said, you do not NEED both. But If I'm not sick, I certainly always take it. Besides, my priest sure knows how to pick the wine.

But as for those women. There are ****ty catholics just as in any faith. But I do encourage to say something next time. Or talk to the teacher to talk about the importance of both. Or do both things. Next, do not be afraid to defend your faith. The Faith we and Millions of others Love.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:23 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,388,556 times
Thank you for your replies. I am sorry I didn't post this last night, but as I was reading I remembered...

The previous weeks lesson was taught by a nun, Sister Linda, she is wonderful. Her lesson was on the Eucharistic prayer. She told us that she worked with the CCC in Washington DC as a younger woman for many years and every month she spoke with the CDC. She said that they told her that the chances of a person contracting a bug from the chalice were as great as contracting the same bug from just being in the church. She said (her words), if you are afraid of catching something from the chalice, just don't come to church. She did also say that if you know that you are sick, it is only polite to pass the chalice.

If anyone is interested you can order a wonderful CD that explains the Mass from https://secure.catholicity.com/cds/. The Mass Explained (Fr. Larry Richards)

<><

Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 AM

3,540 posts, read 6,082,049 times
I never pass the Chalice by.

It's not wine, or yucky wine.

It's the Blood of Christ.

And it's never made me sick.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:48 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,568,966 times
Oakback says it right.

It's not mere bread and wine, when sanctified and is put up for public distribution during the Eucharistic ceremony. It's age old catholic doctrine that that indeed is the body and blood of Christ.

Third century doctors like Jerome, Augustine and the like have written numerous volumes on the subject and that's critical catholic dogma

Old 02-04-2009, 02:57 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,458,769 times
It used to be only a round wafer (the Eucharist) and no wine for Holy Communion.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:01 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,526,363 times
Probably only because of availability.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:36 PM

396 posts, read 746,772 times
I rarely skip over the wine (even though as others have said we aren't required to take of the wine). The only time I do is if I've got tonsillitis. Where yes I agree that you have just as much chance of getting sick from the chalice as from showing up at church, it's just a personal thing when I'm sick.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:00 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,528,216 times
I think if I recall the word Transubstation? spelling- was used when at Mass and the Host is raised
then the wine it becomes the Body and Blood of Christ. However, some chuches only have the wine
at special times. The choice should be left to the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity