U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 02-10-2009, 10:20 PM
 
Location: kind of North of the middle of nowhere, FL
2,574 posts, read 1,171,008 times
Reputation: 2082
ACTUALLY there are only two kinds of people: Those who place people into two categories, and those who don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:54 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,345 posts, read 3,286,161 times
Reputation: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
I know what you are saying...but it's very hard to sit and read all this stuff and say nothing..or at least it is for me.. I hold my tongue for as long as I can and I think God encourages my fingers to type...He let my fingers do the walking....(that was cute..get it?)--you wouldn't if you aren't very old. Sorry...couldn't help myself
LoL - yes, I'm very old and remember back when the yellow pages were the main link to the world at large.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-11-2009, 01:11 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,345 posts, read 3,286,161 times
Reputation: 815
Harold,
I know you are no spring chicken and are used to the controversy you bring. I suspect it would even strengthen your stance (persecution complex?).

Consider this though. At it's very root the Greek for 'devil' means 'opposer' or to break it down even further to it's two primary roots: 'To cast (or throw) down + by words'. (AKA: accuser).

The function of the opposer is to accuse and oppose mankind, to separate them from God's love through words. We see the pharisees THINKING THEY WERE DOING GOD A SERVICE being the very ones who were shutting the doors to the kingdom "Against Men". So when they were deemed the "children of the devil" the term was used to denote their oppostion to the souls of men even though they were using the very words of scripture (sound familiar?) but lacking an understanding of God's mercy.

I hope these would be the words to jar you to your senses. It is ironic, no?

Pharisees to Jesus: "You have a devil"

Jesus to Pharisees "You shut up the Kindom of God against men" (ie: "You are of your father the opposer" (devil).

Let the blinders of religion fall like scales.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-11-2009, 06:24 AM
 
304 posts, read 281,572 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Have you ever read this promise from God?


Pro 1:22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? And scoffers delight them in scoffing, And fools hate knowledge?
Turn you at my reproof: Behold, I will pour out my spirit upon you; I will make known my words unto you.
Because I have called, and ye have refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man hath regarded;
But ye have set at nought all my counsel, And would none of my reproof:
I also will laugh in the day of your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
When your fear cometh as a storm, And your calamity cometh on as a whirlwind; When distress and anguish come upon you.
Then will they call upon me, but I will not answer; They will seek me diligently, but they shall not find me:
For that they hated knowledge, And did not choose the fear of Jehovah:
They would none of my counsel; They despised all my reproof.
Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, And be filled with their own devices.
For the backsliding of the simple shall slay them, And the careless ease of fools shall destroy them.


Have you ever heard of this God?


HK
So you trying to say that once you become a Christian and commit one sin that you are a Child of the Devil that is nonsense. There was and will be only one perfect person to walk the face of the earth and that was my Savior Jesus Christ. I am still waiting on you to answer my question about whether or not you have ever committed a sin since you have been a Christian.

Titus 3:9-11 But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. Warn a divisive person once and warn him a second time. After that have nothing to do with him. You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self condemned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
 
988 posts, read 943,947 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Don't worry Sherry - we are God's workmanship and so there is no danger in what is being stated. Most will see it for what it is - unbalanced religious extremism. I mean, even a baby Christian can look at this and go "Sheeesh!"

There will always be fringe fanatics who paint God as a tyrant who is ready to cast everyone into hell for one infraction. Ridiculous nonsense - I wouldn't lose any time fretting over it.

'They' won't stop - it's what 'they' do.

BTW - this isn't hate or anger from me for 'them' - just the facts as I understand them. There have always been those who don't enter in and TRY to block the way for those who are. They never succeed in the long run.
You wrote:
There will always be fringe fanatics who paint God as a tyrant who is ready to cast everyone into hell for one infraction. Ridiculous nonsense - I wouldn't lose any time fretting over it.


Would that include Jesus? After all it was He who said:

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Luk 12:5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Mat 5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.

Mat 5:30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.


Just for the sake of discussion How many sins did the Israelite's commit before God said he was going to destroy them?


Clue:

Exo 32:8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.
Exo 32:9 And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people:
Exo 32:10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.


HK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
 
988 posts, read 943,947 times
Reputation: 111
[quote=deerdog;7418310]So you trying to say that once you become a Christian and commit one sin that you are a Child of the Devil that is nonsense. There was and will be only one perfect person to walk the face of the earth and that was my Savior Jesus Christ. I am still waiting on you to answer my question about whether or not you have ever committed a sin since you have been a Christian.



Please do not confuse becoming a Christian with being a child of God... It is not the same thing. We do not receive the HS until we repent of sin. Those who continue to deliberately disobey God's commandments have not repented.

The answer to your question is that by the power of the HS I have not knowingly disobeyed God since I truly repented of sin.

True repentance is a covenant with God to cease from all known sin completely and forever - even if were to cost me my life to obey.

HK

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-11-2009, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Arizona
777 posts, read 837,721 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
You wrote:
There will always be fringe fanatics who paint God as a tyrant who is ready to cast everyone into hell for one infraction. Ridiculous nonsense - I wouldn't lose any time fretting over it.


Would that include Jesus? After all it was He who said:

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Luk 12:5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Mat 5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.

Mat 5:30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.


Just for the sake of discussion How many sins did the Israelite's commit before God said he was going to destroy them?


Clue:

Exo 32:8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.
Exo 32:9 And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people:
Exo 32:10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.


HK
Were these warnings listed above addressed to His followers?
I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 7:21-25

There is therefore now no condemnationto them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 8:1-4
"The law of sin and death" being: "the wages of sin..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-11-2009, 01:13 PM
 
988 posts, read 943,947 times
Reputation: 111
[quote=Richio;7423114]Were these warnings listed above addressed to His followers?


Mat 5:1 Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him.
Mat 5:2 And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:

"Disciples" sounds like followers to me... Do you think the sermon on the mount is not for us today?

HK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-11-2009, 01:19 PM
 
988 posts, read 943,947 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
You mean like the one where Donna worked on the computer on the Sabbath, to say we shouldn't work on the Sabbath?

Funny how that was just swept under the rug. Must've been a sin of ignorance somehow...


Mat 12:12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

HK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-11-2009, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Arizona
777 posts, read 837,721 times
Reputation: 167
[quote=Harold Kupp;7424015]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
Were these warnings listed above addressed to His followers?


Mat 5:1 Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him.
Mat 5:2 And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:

"Disciples" sounds like followers to me... Do you think the sermon on the mount is not for us today?

HK
Of course it is, if you mean "he who hath an ear".
While His disciples gathered near Him, the sermon was directed to the croud.
Why should He try to "convert" those who already follow?

His relationship with the disciples was not the same as His relationship with the croud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top