U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:08 AM

48,913 posts, read 45,129,582 times
3 or 4 good decisions can turn an oceanliner around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 12:09 AM

7,165 posts, read 9,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
When was the United States this noble, pure nation?

Was it when we were exterminating Native Americans as if they were savage beasts?

Was it when we held human beings as property?

Was it when air was toxic and rivers caught on fire?

It's not pretty, but I think one could make a strong argument that we are slowly moving in the overall right direction. If anything, our materialism is what is destroying us.
What he said

Old 02-09-2009, 12:32 AM

3,766 posts, read 1,692,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Saddam couldn't whip Iran. Hitler whipped Europe and almost whipped the world........no comparison.

Osama could join the ranks of true rebels and insurgents as a private........REAL men like Geronimo, Quanah Parker, Francis Marion (the Swamp Fox), the Green Mountain Boys in Vermont........except for his money he couldn't do a cotton pickin thing. I doubt Bin Laden could stand up to Tony Soprano.......and beheadings are worse than concrete overshoes and the Hudson?
Which is worse, stealing a nickel or stealing a dollar?

Saddam Hussein the president of Iraq from 1979 until 2003, has gained international notoriety for torturing and murdering thousands of his own people. Hussein believes he ruled with an iron fist to keep his country, divided by ethnicity and religion, intact. However, his actions bespeak a tyrannical despot who stopped at nothing to punish those who opposed him.

America has heritage it can be proud of.

Personal question: How much of the American Indian blood runs through your veins?

100% blue-eyed, blond hair German, runs through mine.

Osama bin Laden: Profile

Al Qaeda was founded in 1988 by Osama bin Laden to consolidate the international network he established during the Afghan war. Its goals were the advancement of Islamic revolutions throughout the Muslim world and repelling foreign intervention in the Middle East.

I like a healthy argument. Please let's don't turn this into one that isn't.

I had a friend whose brother-in-law was dragged into the streets of Baghdad and brutally murdered because he professed to being a Christian. This was something that went unreported and was kept under the radar. It occurred in 2004.

In a world where no one trusts one another, who can you trust?

Trust in this, there are things that have/will happen no one will know anything about, but they will happen just the same. The reasoning will be of no rational what so ever.

No different from any tragedy at any given moment in time.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
3 or 4 good decisions can turn an oceanliner around.
and it only takes one bad decision to crash it.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 02-09-2009 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: insert word oops

Old 02-09-2009, 12:40 AM

48,913 posts, read 45,129,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
and it only takes one bad decision to crash it.
if that were so i would be dead many times over.
if you knew how far i have come you would not laugh at how far behind i am.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 AM

24,378 posts, read 17,444,811 times
After reading this thread, I have to say that I'm glad I don't live among so many pessimists...Progress for the better is slow in your country, but never the less it is being made....You are still lagging behind on one human rights issue, and that is equal rights for gay people, but eventually you'll get there. I just don't understand why most Christians prefer to look on the dark side of issues and ignore the good things happening. Why is that?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:48 AM

7,165 posts, read 9,568,036 times
Quote:

Personal question: How much of the American Indian blood runs through your veins?
Substantial........a great great uncle died on the Trail of Tears.

What is funny, is my Tsa-la-ghi grandmother married a Hawaiian.....from Maui. Not only can I claim Tsa-la-ghi on the census, but also a Pacific Islander.
Quote:
I had a friend whose brother-in-law was dragged into the streets of Baghdad and brutally murdered because he professed to being a Christian. This was something that went unreported and was kept under the radar. It occurred in 2004.
my best friend in High School was killed during Tet........he was incountry, I was offshore providing artillery support with 5" 38's.

Quote:
No different from any tragedy at any given moment in time.
My point exactly. While we are not much better, we certainly are not any worse Christians today than my forefathers were. Actions are very similar. We may not have as great of a percentage of people mouthing the words to appear Christian, I think there are still large numbers of quiet Christians, with a deep and strong relationship with Jesus. If anything, those who claim to be Christian today are stronger in their faith than a lot of those who attended church in the past simply because it was how you got ahead in life.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if that were so i would be dead many times over.
if you knew how far i have come you would not laugh at how far behind i am.
I'm not laughing. I'm saying from my own experience. I planned the great escape from my ex-husband who like to beat me on occasion. I was a woman with a plan and made all the right decisions. College, good size city where jobs are plentiful, raised my three children...

one bad decision and guess where I am? In a sense I did die.

but By the grace of God, go I.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
After reading this thread, I have to say that I'm glad I don't live among so many pessimists...Progress for the better is slow in your country, but never the less it is being made....You are still lagging behind on one human rights issue, and that is equal rights for gay people, but eventually you'll get there. I just don't understand why most Christians prefer to look on the dark side of issues and ignore the good things happening. Why is that?
Since when did ones sexuality depict that of a country and a culture of its own?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:17 AM

24,378 posts, read 17,444,811 times
Quote:
Since when did ones sexuality depict that of a country and a culture of its own?
It doesn't, but I'm just commenting that gays seem to be the last group that Christians are discriminating against in your country, aside from other religions. Personally I am an optimist by nature and don't think things are as bad as some like to portray them.

As just one example, crime rates in the US peaked in 1991, and have been decreasing since and presently are much lower than what they were in '91.

Women and people of color have come closer to being treated equally in the work place. Think positive, as we generally get what we expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity