Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 08:29 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,172,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessif View Post
Non-Believers who refuse to repent and ask God's Forgiveness for their sins will be condemmed......those who believe and trust in Jesus Christ for their salvation will not be judged......The Good News of the Saviour is good news for those who turn to God and repent of sin......God does not impose salvation on mankind........He "offers" forgiveness and salvation to whom ever will "come" to Him......He is patient and long sufferring.....but there will be a day of final judgement.......TURN TO JESUS TODAY.....Tomorrow is too late.........
The Bible tells us that we must repent and believe; we must love God and obey Him; we must work out our own salvation, make our calling and election sure, cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, etc., and it is commonly understood that if we do not do all this we cannot be saved. Now how can we reconcile these things that man must do in order to be saved, with the idea that our salvation is entirely in the hands of our Creator, and He is sure to carry out His will in us in the end?

There is just one declaration of scripture that seems to perfectly answer the questions we are considering, viz: "God is able even to subdue all things unto Himself." (Phil. 3:21) To me this declaration simply means that out of the infinite and inexhaustible resources of God He will find a way whereby He will be able to overcome every obstacle, whatever it may be, to the perfect accomplishment of His wise and gracious will - all through the glorious sacrifice of His son. Man's freewill forms no exception to this rule.

Consider the apostle Paul; God found a way to break down the iron opposition of Saul of Tarsus, and yet he did not force his will; he was able however to subdue him unto himself. King Nebuchadnezzar as related in the book of Daniel (Chap. 4) is another illustration of the numberless resources, some of them strange and unheard of, at God's command whereby he is able to subdue all things unto himself. Of course the prodigal son (Luke 15) is another illustration of this same great truth; the perversity and foolish independence of the wayward boy was humbled, and he was convinced of his wrong doing and finally restored to his father, through the very experiences that his sins brought upon him; this case illustrates the words of the prophet to Israel, "thine own wickedness shall correct thee" (Jer. 2:19) Thus in some way or other the Lord is able to subdue all things unto himself.

Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to Him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator. (1 Pet 4:19)

If it had said "God our heavenly Father", or "God our Redeemer", or something of that kind, it would be perfectly explicable; but our "Creator"! - why, we are apt to think that creation is something accomplished and in the past, and then it was marred and afterwards patched up partially - the damage not being wholly repaired. But can you not see that this idea is a mistake? God is still our Creator; the work is not yet finished; completion and perfection is not something that man once had and lost, but it is yet before him, and the Almighty is the Great Workman, and we are "His workmanship." Everything that comes to us is part and parcel of the creative process, and all tends to the grand consummation of the divine Artificer's glorious work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 AM

29 posts, read 56,535 times
Jesus Christ IS the son of God AND also God. The Jews were in deed the "chosen" people through which the Messiah (Jesus Christ) came from. Because of sin, we were unable to have access to God...to enter heaven. But, because of Jesus' death and resurrection, we who believe in Him through faith are saved. Saved from Hell. Out of that faith comes obedience. That obedience manifests itself in the form of loving our God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) and loving others.

My God is the only God among all religions who is living! He's not a statue or a dead person. HE'S ALIVE! That is the hope we have as Christians. That we too will be alive because of Jesus Christ...

I suggest reading through the book of John in the New Testament. I also recommend finding a good bible teaching church. There are many people who do not teach sound doctorine.

May Christ change you life forever!

Biblegal

Old 02-23-2009, 10:12 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,692,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biblegal View Post
Jesus Christ IS the son of God AND also God. The Jews were in deed the "chosen" people through which the Messiah (Jesus Christ) came from. Because of sin, we were unable to have access to God...to enter heaven. But, because of Jesus' death and resurrection, we who believe in Him through faith are saved. Saved from Hell. Out of that faith comes obedience. That obedience manifests itself in the form of loving our God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) and loving others.

My God is the only God among all religions who is living! He's not a statue or a dead person. HE'S ALIVE! That is the hope we have as Christians. That we too will be alive because of Jesus Christ...

I suggest reading through the book of John in the New Testament. I also recommend finding a good bible teaching church. There are many people who do not teach sound doctorine.

May Christ change you life forever!

Biblegal
Amen!

Blessings to you.....biblegal!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:55 AM

342 posts, read 540,459 times
Jesus gave numerous warnings of the FINAL Judgement to come......He told us to Believe and Trust in Him as Lord and Saviour and to repent i.e. turn from sin.......We are clearly told that He will separate the goats from the sheep.....He will gather the wheat into the barns and cast the chaff into the never-ending fire.......read John 3:6-12, Matt 25:31-46......Read Mark16:16-17.......read Luke3:9......Luke13:22-30 (the door is narrow)..........Read Matt 13:36-43......and Matt 13:47-51.......At the end of the world His angels will gather and will separate the wheat from the weeds, burning the weeds in unquenchable fire ............Today is the Day of Salvation......Today is the day to repent and make a serious decision for Jesus Christ........

Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,692,543 times
Quote:
Jesus gave numerous warnings of the FINAL Judgement to come......He told us to Believe and Trust in Him as Lord and Saviour and to repent i.e. turn from sin.......We are clearly told that He will separate the goats from the sheep.....He will gather the wheat into the barns and cast the chaff into the never-ending fire.......read John 3:6-12, Matt 25:31-46......Read Mark16:16-17.......read Luke3:9......Luke13:22-30 (the door is narrow)..........Read Matt 13:36-43......and Matt 13:47-51.......At the end of the world His angels will gather and will separate the wheat from the weeds, burning the weeds in unquenchable fire ............Today is the Day of Salvation......Today is the day to repent and make a serious decision for Jesus Christ........
Another amen!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:12 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,051 times
What if you don't believe in the bible or any god but you are a sincere human being who helps people who are down on their luck? What if you choose not to believe in a book, but in doing good to your fellow human being? Human beings are in fact "gods creations" right? So by helping your fellow human are you serving god? Isn't that what it's all about? Being good to one another? I must be in the wrong thread, sorry.
It seems so many are focusing on scriptures and psalms and getting to heaven that perhaps maybe we are missing what's really going on?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:01 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,497,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The Bible tells us that we must repent and believe; we must love God and obey Him; we must work out our own salvation, make our calling and election sure, cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, etc., and it is commonly understood that if we do not do all this we cannot be saved. Now how can we reconcile these things that man must do in order to be saved, with the idea that our salvation is entirely in the hands of our Creator, and He is sure to carry out His will in us in the end?

There is just one declaration of scripture that seems to perfectly answer the questions we are considering, viz: "God is able even to subdue all things unto Himself." (Phil. 3:21) To me this declaration simply means that out of the infinite and inexhaustible resources of God He will find a way whereby He will be able to overcome every obstacle, whatever it may be, to the perfect accomplishment of His wise and gracious will - all through the glorious sacrifice of His son. Man's freewill forms no exception to this rule.

Consider the apostle Paul; God found a way to break down the iron opposition of Saul of Tarsus, and yet he did not force his will; he was able however to subdue him unto himself. King Nebuchadnezzar as related in the book of Daniel (Chap. 4) is another illustration of the numberless resources, some of them strange and unheard of, at God's command whereby he is able to subdue all things unto himself. Of course the prodigal son (Luke 15) is another illustration of this same great truth; the perversity and foolish independence of the wayward boy was humbled, and he was convinced of his wrong doing and finally restored to his father, through the very experiences that his sins brought upon him; this case illustrates the words of the prophet to Israel, "thine own wickedness shall correct thee" (Jer. 2:19) Thus in some way or other the Lord is able to subdue all things unto himself.

Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to Him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator. (1 Pet 4:19)

If it had said "God our heavenly Father", or "God our Redeemer", or something of that kind, it would be perfectly explicable; but our "Creator"! - why, we are apt to think that creation is something accomplished and in the past, and then it was marred and afterwards patched up partially - the damage not being wholly repaired. But can you not see that this idea is a mistake? God is still our Creator; the work is not yet finished; completion and perfection is not something that man once had and lost, but it is yet before him, and the Almighty is the Great Workman, and we are "His workmanship." Everything that comes to us is part and parcel of the creative process, and all tends to the grand consummation of the divine Artificer's glorious work.
Elmer....amen. You get it! You understand that we can`t limit God and that he is in control of his creation and will not give up on it. Thank God for his wonderous ways,grace, and mercy!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,069 times
Red face "ahem.... might I speak?"

Is it OK for me, an affirmed atheist, to make a polite request here? To get a polite group response and opinion on something I didn't write but I feel is quite explanatory of why so many of us are non-believers, despite, as in my case, a religious upbringing and initial belief?

To not be, as it were, hauled out to be burned at the stake in the town square for my impertinence?

I'll ask first before presenting the essay I refer to. honestly, I'm just curious.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:41 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,344,957 times
Quote:
We are clearly told that He will separate the goats from the sheep.
My goodness, Vessif, your "sandels" are really dusty! Please tell us, if you can, what qualifies a sheep and a goat, according to the context of our Saviour's words in St. Matthew 25. Those words are "clearly told." They are what?

Quote:
I place such a value upon the merits and death of my redeemer, as to conclude all will be happy for whom he suffered on the cross. And I pay such a regard to the positive declarations of Scripture, as to anticipate the restitution of all things;--when the ruins of the fall shall be more than repaired, and the creature which now groans shall groan no more.
-Charles Chauncey

Charles Chauncey HERE

The Mystery Hid From Ages & Generations

HERE

Last edited by Birdy_56; 02-23-2009 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 12:52 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
Quote:
Great post Vessif! You are right, there are many warnings in the Bible about eternal hell, unless people repent NOW, there will no salvation later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity