Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:04 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times

Advertisements

2. Salvation is not a reprieve from doom, but a transformation from good to better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 11:13 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
2. Salvation is not a reprieve from doom, but a transformation from good to better.
What exactly does that mean?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:26 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Without asking for a little more elaboration, I'd have to say I pretty much agree 100% with this "heresy." I am constantly amazed by the attitude of most Christians on this subject. It seems that their entire focus is on a "reprieve from doom." To the average Mormon, salvation means so much more and the "reprieve from doom" is merely the first step towards the realization of unlimited potential in the eternities to come. For us, life is all about improvement. It's not about being "saved" from an eternity in Hell but about becoming better people every day of our lives.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Without asking for a little more elaboration, I'd have to say I pretty much agree 100% with this "heresy." I am constantly amazed by the attitude of most Christians on this subject. It seems that their entire focus is on a "reprieve from doom." To the average Mormon, salvation means so much more and the "reprieve from doom" is merely the first step towards the realization of unlimited potential in the eternities to come. For us, life is all about improvement. It's not about being "saved" from an eternity in Hell but about becoming better people every day of our lives.
Maybe because it's how scripture teaches it. Christ is specifically called the "propitiation" for our sin. Because of him, we are first and foremost saved from the wrath of God.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:58 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe because it's how scripture teaches it. Christ is specifically called the "propitiation" for our sin. Because of him, we are first and foremost saved from the wrath of God.

Quote:
I believe Scripture teaches this:

Salvation is a reprieve from wrath; sanctification is a transformation to holiness.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Maybe because it's how scripture teaches it.
Or how you interpret it.

Quote:
Christ is specifically called the "propitiation" for our sin. Because of him, we are first and foremost saved from the wrath of God.
You make it sound like God really hates us.

Obviously, we are not ever going to see eye to eye on this subject, and I am truly sorry that you see avoiding hellfire as the most you can hope for. I suspect that someday, you might be in for a very pleasant surprise.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Or how you interpret it.

You make it sound like God really hates us.
Umm...yah. That's what the Bible says about the natural man -- the one that is not regenerate:

Rom. 3:10-12, “There is none righteous, not even one; 11There is none who understands. There is none who seeks for God; 12All have turned aside, together they have become useless; There is none who does good, There is not even one.”

Eph. 2:3, "Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others."

Quote:
Obviously, we are not ever going to see eye to eye on this subject, and I am truly sorry that you see avoiding hellfire as the most you can hope for. I suspect that someday, you might be in for a very pleasant surprise.
I have never suggested that it is "the most you can hope for". It's the biggest miracle -- that we who do not seek God and hate God are saved by him. But in addition to that, we will live forever in his presence--and that is a wonderful and glorious thing.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Umm...yah. That's what the Bible says about the natural man -- the one that is not regenerate:

Rom. 3:10-12, “There is none righteous, not even one; 11There is none who understands. There is none who seeks for God; 12All have turned aside, together they have become useless; There is none who does good, There is not even one.”

Eph. 2:3, "Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others."
Interestingly enough, that's what the Book of Mormon teaches, too:

"For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father." (Mosiah 3:19)

Quote:
I have never suggested that it is "the most you can hope for". It's the biggest miracle -- that we who do not seek God and hate God are saved by him. But in addition to that, we will live forever in his presence--and that is a wonderful and glorious thing.
It is a wonderful and glorious thing. But even that is not all we can hope for.

I've got one question for you, Vizio. You say that "we who do not seek God and hate God are saved by Him." That doesn't sound like what I've been listening to you say all these years you've been posting. I thought you believed that only those who love God will be saved by Him. Now you're saying that those who hate Him will also be saved? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
It's the biggest miracle -- that we who do not seek God and hate God are saved by him.
"We"? Do you hate God?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
"We"? Do you hate God?
In my natural state, yes -- I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity