Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:58 AM

952 posts, read 3,705,202 times

Advertisements

A coworker of mine said that people who don't believe that Jesus is the son of God will go to hell, except Jews because they are the chosen People. I then told her that that would be the majority of the people on earth that would go to hell and she said, " That ' s damn right!"'
Is this how most Christians feel. does it say in the bible that you will go to hell if you don't believe in "the christian God"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 09:12 AM

777 posts, read 1,440,940 times
"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
"For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.
"He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
"This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.

John 3:16-18
There are sins (acts of sin), but sin itself is a condition of not being perfect – not able to come into the presence of a perfect and holy God.
Therefore, without Jesus - our default destination is hell.

Fortunately, Jesus took our destination upon Himself; He overcame sin and death and hell.
So the wages of sin is death for the unbeliever, but the gift of God is life for the believer.

When one is born again (John 3:5-7), it is a new beginning (1Corinthinans 2:17) and God dwells in us to guide and enable that change of destination.
But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
Romans 8:11
However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
Romans 8:9
Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

Romans 8:1,2
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
John 14:6

Old 02-07-2009, 09:18 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
A coworker of mine said that people who don't believe that Jesus is the son of God will go to hell, except Jews because they are the chosen People. I then told her that that would be the majority of the people on earth that would go to hell and she said, " That ' s damn right!"'
Is this how most Christians feel. does it say in the bible that you will go to hell if you don't believe in "the christian God"?
No, it says you will go to hell if you DO believe in God, and blapheme His Holy Name. It is the only unforgivable sin.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:23 AM

777 posts, read 1,440,940 times
BTW: Jews are the chosen people on earth.
...Chosen to bring forth the Savior and also to represent human nature.
Jews without their Messiah (Yeshua AKA: Jesus), are lost and do not get into heaven because of some birthright.

The promises to them were temporal (here on earth/not eternal).

Old 02-07-2009, 12:26 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Your friend is right, people who don't believe in Jesus and accept Him as Savior and ask them to forgive them of their sins are hell bound forever. Jesus said in Matthew 26: 41 "Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons".
verse 46 "And they they will go into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life".

Old 02-07-2009, 12:59 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,989,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Your friend is right, people who don't believe in Jesus and accept Him as Savior and ask them to forgive them of their sins are hell bound forever. Jesus said in Matthew 26: 41 "Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons".
verse 46 "And they they will go into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life".
Quote:
Jesus said in Matthew 26: 41 "Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons".
verse 46 "And they they will go into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life.
Quote:
Your friend is right, people who don't believe in Jesus and accept Him as Savior and ask them to forgive them of their sins are hell bound forever.
That just is not a true statement unless you are using the true meaning of the word 'hell' which simply means the grave, and you're referring to their 'flesh bodies.'

Now IF you are using the word 'hell fire' then that is a whole different thing. It boils down to Context, context, context!!

31 ¶ When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

11 ¶ And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.This is the second death.

The second death is not 'hell.' The second death is when both body AND soul are put in' the fire' and die and are gone for ever and ever. Or in other words they are gone for ever from the presence of God. Notice it says 'second death' i.e die no longer LIVE, not "punished for ever and ever".

So, to the OP, no your friend is not correct. She's not rightly dividing the Word.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:09 PM
RSH

147 posts, read 258,064 times
For ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God

Old 02-07-2009, 02:20 PM

14,873 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Quote:
Hi Redwine, many Christians do not believe that nonbelievers go to hell forever or that they are annihilated. I don't believe that the scriptures teach this. I believe and many Christians believe that many will experience the judgments of God but that this judgment/punishment is for correction. We believe that eventually all will be restored to God. Some scriptures which teach this are

Psalms 22:
27. All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD,
And all the families of the nations will worship before You.
28. For the kingdom is the LORD'S
And He rules over the nations.
29. All the prosperous of the earth will eat and worship,
All those who go down to the dust will bow before Him,
Even he who cannot keep his soul alive

Psalms 66
4. "All the earth will worship You,
And will sing praises to You;
They will sing praises to Your name." Selah

Psalms 68:18
You have ascended on high, You have led captive Your captives;
You have received gifts among men,
Even among the rebellious also, that the LORD God may dwell there

Isaiah 25:6-8
The LORD of hosts will prepare a lavish banquet for all peoples on this mountain;
A banquet of aged wine, choice pieces with marrow,
And refined, aged wine.
7. And on this mountain He will swallow up the covering which is over all peoples,
Even the veil which is stretched over all nations.
8. He will swallow up death for all time,
And the Lord GOD will wipe tears away from all faces,
And He will remove the reproach of His people from all the earth;
For the LORD has spoken.

Isaiah 45:22-25
"Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;
For I am God, and there is no other.
23. "I have sworn by Myself,
The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness
And will not turn back,
That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance.
24. "They will say of Me, `Only in the LORD are righteousness and strength.'
Men will come to Him,
And all who were angry at Him will be put to shame.
25. "In the LORD all the offspring of Israel
Will be justified and will glory."

Zephaniah 3
8 "Therefore wait for Me," declares the LORD,
"For the day when I rise up as a witness.
Indeed, My decision is to gather nations,
To assemble kingdoms,
To pour out on them My indignation,
All My burning anger;
For all the earth will be devoured
By the fire of My zeal.
9. "For then I will give to the peoples purified lips,
That all of them may call on the name of the LORD,
To serve Him shoulder to shoulder

John 1:1-9
1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.2. He was in the beginning with God.3. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.4. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.5. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.6. There came a man sent from God, whose name was John.7. He came as a witness, to testify about the Light, so that all might believe through him.8. He was not the Light, but he came to testify about the Light.9. There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man.

John 12:27-32
27. "Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, `Father, save Me from this hour'? But for this purpose I came to this hour.28. "Father, glorify Your name." Then a voice came out of heaven: "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again."29. So the crowd of people who stood by and heard it were saying that it had thundered; others were saying, "An angel has spoken to Him."30. Jesus answered and said, "This voice has not come for My sake, but for your sakes.31. "Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.32. "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."

Romans 8:18-22
18. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.19. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.20. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope21. that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.22. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.

1 Corinthians 15:16-28
16. For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised;17. and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.18. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.19. If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.20. But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.21. For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead.22. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.23. But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming,24. then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power.25. For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet.26. The last enemy that will be abolished is death.27. For He has put all things in subjection under His feet. But when He says, "All things are put in subjection," it is evident that He is excepted who put all things in subjection to Him.28. When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.

Colossians 1:15-20
15. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.16. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him.17. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.18. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.19. For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,20. and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.

Ephesians 1: 5-10
"He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished upon us. In all wisdom and insight He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him with a view to an administration suitable to the fulness of the times, that is the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens, and things upon the earth."

We can come to Him now, today, willingly or face that which will break us and bring us to our knees. Either way, God will subject all to Himself so that He may be all in all.

Quote:
Tradition maintains that God’s judgment has no remedial purpose—it is eternal, and as a result, we can have no hope beyond death or hell. What mysteriously happens at death making it impossible for God to bring someone to repentance? Has He been strippedof His power? Where does Scripture declare His impotence in the face of death?

Hope Beyond Hell

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 02-07-2009 at 03:12 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 07:35 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
I have studiously avoided most discussions about this because I frankly am uncertain what to believe. That there will be a separate fate for those consciousnesses whose "state of mind" is not compatible with our loving God is unambiguous. WHAT that fate will be is clouded in confusion. I am fairly certain that the "exclusivists" in the faith are wrong. That would be such a monumentally unfair and ridiculous outcome especially for a beneficent God.

So it is possible to achieve the proper "state of mind" without knowledge or belief in Jesus Christ, IMO (I've met some avowed atheists who so strongly resembled Jesus in their attitudes that they would fit that description). The bottom line to this issue is that Jesus died and established the spiritual connection of human consciousness to God . . . not just for a select few . . . but for ALL humankind. Whether or not they respond to the urgings within their consciousness and achieve a compatible "state of mind" is up to each of them individually and for their own reasons, IMO.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:45 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
For ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God
Actually RSH all people can look forward to the same fate. Our atoms will be recycled and reused. I believe that we will be returned to the nothingness we had before birth....And by the way, do not send me any more of your nasty private messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity