Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:09 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times

Advertisements

Okay, some things came up on another topic board that got me to wondering about a few things that deals with Christianity, which brought me to this board. Biggest is the priorities of life and where does oneself fall in with these priorities.

The priorities I am refering to are:

God First

Spouse Second

Kids Third

Job fourth

Etc. fifth-?

So where in this list do you put yourself? If you put yourself up towards the top, are you lowering the priorities of the ones below you? If you put yourself towards the bottom, then aren't you neglecting yourself which is not good for you or the ones above you?

I can see where you should come second as by doing so keeps you from neglecting yourself which neglecting yourself could cause you to run yourself down and you have no energy or strength to take care of your spouse, children or do your job. But at the same token I could see where you could also neglect your spouse, children or job if you are taking care of yourself before them. (i.e. meeting your needs before meeting other's needs) But shouldn't your needs be met so that you can take better care of your spouse, provide better for your children and preform better at your job?

This is a big conundrum for me. Anyone else think like this or do you feel like you have your priorities straight? If you have your priorities straight then could you please share your list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:12 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
I guess when it pertains to me, I try to ask myself. Would this give God the glory in everything I do, buy etc....? this tends to ground me.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
I don't know if you are a Christian, but if you are what I am about to say will make perfect sense. If you're not, it might not make any sense.

When you put God first, you are putting yourself right there with Him.

He has your best interest at heart. He loves you. He will provide and care for you. Matter of fact, you can't take care of anyone else unless God is taking care of you.

If a person really cares about themselves and wants to do the very best for themselves, then God first is the only formula that makes sense.

The very best thing God can give any of us is more of Him.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 02-24-2009 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Anyone else think like this or do you feel like you have your priorities straight? If you have your priorities straight then could you please share your list?
Oh man, so often I don't have my priorities straight.. but it's like Alpha said: Put God first.

If this is truly the case then everything else falls into place. It doesn't have to be a complicated list. He will lead and direct!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Okay, some things came up on another topic board that got me to wondering about a few things that deals with Christianity, which brought me to this board. Biggest is the priorities of life and where does oneself fall in with these priorities.

The priorities I am refering to are:

God First

Spouse Second

Kids Third

Job fourth

Etc. fifth-?

So where in this list do you put yourself? If you put yourself up towards the top, are you lowering the priorities of the ones below you? If you put yourself towards the bottom, then aren't you neglecting yourself which is not good for you or the ones above you?

I can see where you should come second as by doing so keeps you from neglecting yourself which neglecting yourself could cause you to run yourself down and you have no energy or strength to take care of your spouse, children or do your job. But at the same token I could see where you could also neglect your spouse, children or job if you are taking care of yourself before them. (i.e. meeting your needs before meeting other's needs) But shouldn't your needs be met so that you can take better care of your spouse, provide better for your children and preform better at your job?

This is a big conundrum for me. Anyone else think like this or do you feel like you have your priorities straight? If you have your priorities straight then could you please share your list?
Lets pretend we are married for a minute.

If I am always looking out for your needs and best interest before mine, and you are doing the same, are not both of our needs met? Moreover, if we are doing it for our Lord instead of ourselves, how much better will the end treatment we receive be!

Simple example:

My wife is a whoooole lot better at making homemade cookies then I am. I am a whoooole lot better at landscaping then she is. She knows I like fresh baked cookies, and I know she loves the flower beds pretty and kept. I worry about making her happy with the flower beds and what a surprise that I walk into a plate of fresh baked cookies and kiss! Moreover, I pay attention to what her favorite flowers are and she pays attention to the fact that I love walnut chocolate chip cookies. The end results is we both have our "needs met" with better results.

Simple but you get the point.

It takes love, faith and trust to do something like that. My wife and I often forget that principle, but we are working towards making it our "way" more than not.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I don't know if you are a Christian, but if you are what I am about to say will make perfect sense. If you're not, it might not make any sense.

When you put God first, you are putting yourself right there with Him.

He has your best interest at heart. He loves you. He will provide and care for you. Matter of fact, you can't take care of anyone else unless God is taking care of you.

If a person really cares about themselves and wants to the very best for themselves, then God first is the only formula that makes sense.

The very best thing God can give any of us is more of Him.
I am a Christian so I understood what you are saying and I do know that God should be Top Priority on the list.

But I have heard and visited with other Christians who say and feel that children or thier spouses should come before oneslf. This is what got me to thinking about where oneself actually falls on the list. When I saw a list like the one I gave, that was on several Christian websites, they gave no explanation as to where one puts themselves and I became even more confused.

Thank-you for your reply, it does make sense that putting God first puts oneself right up there with him because by putting God first you are meeting your needs which is what one has to do before they can meet the needs of others. This was my first initial thought, but like I said I became confused after listening to or reading what some of my Christian bretheren had to say about priorities.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I am a Christian so I understood what you are saying and I do know that God should be Top Priority on the list.

But I have heard and visited with other Christians who say and feel that children or thier spouses should come before oneslf. This is what got me to thinking about where oneself actually falls on the list. When I saw a list like the one I gave, that was on several Christian websites, they gave no explanation as to where one puts themselves and I became even more confused.

Thank-you for your reply, it does make sense that putting God first puts oneself right up there with him because by putting God first you are meeting your needs which is what one has to do before they can meet the needs of others. This was my first initial thought, but like I said I became confused after listening to or reading what some of my Christian bretheren had to say about priorities.
You're kind. I'm very glad you are here. We need more posters like you.

You make good sense here and it appears you've been pretty discerning in your assessment of others.

To take my thoughts further, maybe the difference in what you asked in your OP and what my response was is that quite possibly we define 'self' differently....or at least differently from the brothers and sisters you've talked to.

I strive to be one with my God, wife, and kids.......so they are part of the 'self' I am looking out for.

Try and explain to me some examples of looking out for one's self that would suffer by having God, wife, or kids on top of a priority list.

I think I see an interesting conversation developing here!

Old 02-24-2009, 01:43 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,288 times
We wouldnt suffer with God on top of the priority list. I think my family suffered when we didnt have God at the head. Before we started getting back into the word and really applying what we were learning to our every day lives our household was chaotic.
I'm sorry if im off course here...

Old 02-24-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
We wouldnt suffer with God on top of the priority list. I think my family suffered when we didnt have God at the head. Before we started getting back into the word and really applying what we were learning to our every day lives our household was chaotic.
I'm sorry if im off course here...
Not off course at all. You are a shining example of the Truth.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
You're kind. I'm very glad you are here. We need more posters like you.

You make good sense here and it appears you've been pretty discerning in your assessment of others.

To take my thoughts further, maybe the difference in what you asked in your OP and what my response was is that quite possibly we define 'self' differently....or at least differently from the brothers and sisters you've talked to.

I strive to be one with my God, wife, and kids.......so they are part of the 'self' I am looking out for.

Try and explain to me some examples of looking out for one's self that would suffer by having God, wife, or kids on top of a priority list.

I think I see an interesting conversation developing here!
That is just right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity