Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:07 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Explain this to me please...why does God choosing certain people to be saved and certain people to be damned for eternity, give Him glory, any more so than Him making salvation available to all who believe?
That's "double predestination" which I do not agree with because God's will is for everyone to be saved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I am not sure what you are after? - it sounds more like a philisophicsl or theological question that may or may not be answerable by Scripture but one does come to mind - Acts 2:23.
22"Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know--
23this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death.

this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge (a bit redundant)

Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 AM

124 posts, read 321,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I believe in Predestination. God elects or predestines people to salvation. The elect are all believers

(Romans 8:29–30) "29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. "

(Ephesians 1:5) 5 he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—

So we don't have free will. He has already decided who gets to live in the celestial hot tub forever.

If he already knows who he likes best why all the BS?

Old 02-17-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyals View Post
So we don't have free will. He has already decided who gets to live in the celestial hot tub forever.

If he already knows who he likes best why all the BS?
Your definition of free will is not my definition of free will. Do you have free will not to sin? Can you not sin? if not then you are bound by sin therefore it is our nature, if it is our nature then as the bible says, sin makes us spiritually dead, if we are spiritually dead then how can the dead do anything let alone choose God? Are we free? Are we free to choose God?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:12 PM

124 posts, read 321,757 times
Quote:
Your definition of free will is not my definition of free will. Do you have free will not to sin? Can you not sin? if not then you are bound by sin therefore it is our nature, if it is our nature then as the bible says, sin makes us spiritually dead, if we are spiritually dead then how can the dead do anything let alone choose God? Are we free? Are we free to choose God?

?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:19 PM

599 posts, read 1,260,447 times
Quote:
That's "double predestination" which I do not agree with because God's will is for everyone to be saved
God's will is for all to be saved yet he predestined only an elect few to be saved...is that what you're saying? I'm confused.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyals View Post
?
What is so hard?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
God's will is for all to be saved yet he predestined only an elect few to be saved...is that what you're saying? I'm confused.
Yup and all for His glory, that doesn't mean He has not provided the gifts for others as well.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
22"Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know--
23this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death.

this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge (a bit redundant)
This is seriously why we cant't get anywhere with you - do you even read my posts with any sense of wanting to understand someone else position? You ignore the points made by me and then restate your own as if that settles it. In one of your post you said that I said that you said that predestination is justification or regeneration. I did not say that - please qoute people acurately. It is a BIG difference to say that as opposed to predestination is unto justification or regeneration. Aslo you attribute to me a classic Armenian framework and then procede to argue against it - classic strawman.

Furthermore, your highlighted portion and color coded emphasis is flat out wrong. It is not redundant as if the plan and the foreknowledge are the same thing said in a different way. You fail in Greek grammar. These are two seperate referents not indentical ones. You make it soaund as if Luke was saying ...the predetermined plan that is the foreknowledge of God... He did not say nor intend to say such a thing. Let this sink deep into your heart my brother - ponder this fact before you write again.

There are really only three semantical options [for this verse] for this type of contruction - a TSKS contruction. I will post some thoughts later if need be.

Seriously read the post with better comprehension of what your brothers in Christ are trying to set forth - in doing so you do them the respect you wish to have and you create an environment that is less ambigious.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
This is seriously why we cant't get anywhere with you - do you even read my posts with any sense of wanting to understand someone else position? You ignore the points made by me and then restate your own as if that settles it. In one of your post you said that I said that you said that predestination is justification or regeneration. I did not say that - please qoute people acurately. It is a BIG difference to say that as opposed to predestination is unto justification or regeneration. Aslo you attribute to me a classic Armenian framework and then procede to argue against it - classic strawman.

Furthermore, your highlighted portion and color coded emphasis is flat out wrong. It is not redundant as if the plan and the foreknowledge are the same thing said in a different way. You fail in Greek grammar. These are two seperate referents not indentical ones. You make it soaund as if Luke was saying ...the predetermined plan that is the foreknowledge of God... He did not say nor intend to say such a thing. Let this sink deep into your heart my brother - ponder this fact before you write again.

There are really only three semantical options [for this verse] for this type of contruction - a TSKS contruction. I will post some thoughts later if need be.

Seriously read the post with better comprehension of what your brothers in Christ are trying to set forth - in doing so you do them the respect you wish to have and you create an environment that is less ambigious.
Sorry that I am doing. I will admit I am having trouble debating you because I cannot grasp your interpretation of predestination- I just don't see it. So I say we beg to disagree and part with this thread in brothers in Christ

God Bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity