U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 AM

604 posts, read 961,486 times

Advertisements

FYI thread:

For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

- Matthew 24:7

di⋅vers

 /ˈdaɪvərz/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [dahy-verz] Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. several; various; sundry: divers articles.

Some Christians often use this passage to claim that just about any earthquake that occurs today is proof that MORE earthquakes are happening today and this must mean Jesus is soon to return. The debate has gone on here before and I don't think some believers care to be confused by the fact that earthquakes CAN happen anywhere on this planet even though some places are are more prone than other places.

What I really want to point our, however, is, the passage is not saying there will be MORE earthquakes. What it is saying is that there will be earthquakes in several/different/various places which, when you consider this, is nothing earth shattering in the realm of predictions. Anyone could/can make such an obvious prediction as well as the the predictions in the verse.

Your thoughts and comments are welcomed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:50 AM

43 posts, read 126,607 times
No doubt about it, as for man's time on this earth, there have always been earthquakes and I expect will always be. Divers may be telling us that earthqakes will be happening more frequently and it may be telling us that they may be happening in places we do not usually expect to see them, like the small tremor in NJ within the past month. I can't say for sure what Jesus was telling us. SInce He did mention famines, and pestilences in the same comment, maybe we should look for the combination and not singular events of each?

Last edited by Uneekarts; 02-16-2009 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Changed he to He

Old 02-16-2009, 10:05 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,552,547 times
We look for exterior (natural) occurrences while missing the interior (spiritual) events that are happening right now.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,372,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
FYI thread:

For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

- Matthew 24:7

di⋅vers

   /ˈdaɪvərz/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [dahy-verz] Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. several; various; sundry: divers articles.

Some Christians often use this passage to claim that just about any earthquake that occurs today is proof that MORE earthquakes are happening today and this must mean Jesus is soon to return. The debate has gone on here before and I don't think some believers care to be confused by the fact that earthquakes CAN happen anywhere on this planet even though some places are are more prone than other places.

What I really want to point our, however, is, the passage is not saying there will be MORE earthquakes. What it is saying is that there will be earthquakes in several/different/various places which, when you consider this, is nothing earth shattering in the realm of predictions. Anyone could/can make such an obvious prediction as well as the the predictions in the verse.

Your thoughts and comments are welcomed.
Since Jesus was talking about kingdoms against kingdoms, and nations against nation, would not the logical conclusion be tht the famines, pestilences, and earthquakes also be related to the same kingdoms and nations?

When a kingdom wars with another, either it is overtaken, or not. But along with war comes famine, because usually war involves in some degree, the starving of the enemy. As far as pestilences, it goes without saying that plagues and insects come by way of the dead killed in combat.

As far as the earthquakes, look at how many nations and kingdoms have been split up, broken. From the Roman empire, to EVERY empire. Did Jesus mean a "earth" quake, when the wrod simply means a shaking up?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:22 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,900,524 times
Divers places, from my understanding, would seem to mean places that normally do not have earthquakes as well as more earthquakes in places that normally do. Yellowstone had more earthquakes in one month than they normally do in a year this past December and January. Central Virginia and North East Florida have had a few earthquakes themselves over the past 10 years and they normally have none.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:08 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,747,770 times
This has already been covered....extensively. It's whatever one chooses to see and believe.

Yellowstone Earthquakes Raise Fears (Signs)

Wars and Rumors of Wars

Fascination with the end times

Post #179 from "Wars and Rumors of Wars" (true stats on earthquakes)
"Anyone can provide false stats and hope no one pays attention. This is my thread, and it's my responsibility to do so. Below are some posts from another thread from May 2008, and I knew I would need this info again. I've updated the 2008 stats.
Fascination with the end times

Post #59
Here's what it says in the Bible (NIV) about signs of the end times:

Matthew 16.....The Demand for a Sign

"The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven. He replied, "When evening comes, you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red', and in the morning 'Today it will be stormy for the sky is red and overcast.' You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a miraculous sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah."

Matthew 24 (whole chapter)....Signs of the End of the Age

Verse 4 & 5: Many claiming to be Christ and deceiving

There are as many as 10,000 people around the world claiming to be the Messiah or Jesus Christ. There is a man in Mexico who already has a large following, and there are and will be many more like him to come.

Verse 6: Wars and rumors of Wars

I've researched the numbers and here's what I came up with. This is an approximate number....I could have miscounted by one or two.

1500 to 1899 - (400 years) worldwide:
There were approximately 341 wars worldwide during this 400 year period. This number does not include the wars within wars, which is just counted as one war. If you divide 341 by 4...that's approximately 85 wars per century.

1900 to 2008 - (108 years) worldwide: (This is where it gets interesting)
There were approximately 296 wars worldwide during one 100 year period.

1500 to 1599 - 80 wars................................1800 to 1899 - 159 wars
1600 to 1699 - 56 wars................................1900 to 2008 - 296 wars
1700 to 1799 - 46 wars................................ 200 years = 455 wars
300 years = 182 wars

The number of wars have doubled just in the last 100 years. There are currently 5 major on-going wars. There are rumors of wars everywhere.

I will address the rest of Matthew 24 in my next post. I personally don't like reading extraordinarily long posts, so I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.

Post #73
Now, to continue what I was saying....here are more stats that someone will try to invalidate, I'm sure. But it is what it is....can't be changed because someone wants it to be different.

Oh, and I will quote Matthew 24:8 (NIV) since someone disputes that Jesus didn't mean that these things would actually increase and also quote the interpretation of this particular scripture.

"All these are the beginnings of birth pains."
birth pains. The rabbis spoke of "birth pains," i.e., sufferings, that would precede the coming of the Messiah.

Verse 7 of Matthew 24:

Famines:
Already we have riots, hoarding, panic: the sign of things to come? - Times Online

All you have to do is read the headlines like the above to know that the entire world is suffering food shortages right now. It is even affecting America because of rising prices and hoarding. And yes, there have been famines throughout history and there are more people in the world, but the food shortages are affecting everyone around the world right now....not just certain poor countries. And it's only going to get worse.

Earthquakes:
Earthquake Summary Posters

This is just a a few stats for 2002 and this year. If you want to see more detailed stats on earthquakes go to the above site.
2002 there were 13 major earthquakes, from 6.5 to 7.9 magnitude.
2008 there has already been 18 major earthquakes and it's only May. The amount and magnitude have both increased....6.3 to 8.5 magnitude.

Hurricanes, Cyclones and Tornadoes:
Hurricane Video Stock - Severe Weather Storm Video Footage and Stock Photos for Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Lightning & Waterspouts (this is worth checking out just for the photos)
Revision history of Category:Tropical cyclone statistics templates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tornado Severe Weather, Safety, Current Probabilities, Statistics, Skywarn, Facts, Reports

Since Jesus didn't specifically mention hurricanes and cyclones, then my stats on these will not matter to nonbelievers(funny how they perceive Jesus to be a fictional character, yet according to them Jesus didn't say this or that...how absurdly contradictive) But you believers may be interested as I am, so here are a couple of sites to check out.

We all know what is happening right now...earthquake in China, cyclone in Myanmar and hundreds of tornadoes in the U.S. It's not even hurricane season yet. The signs are here, not to mention the migration of the Jews back to Israel. Signs are all around us...the Bible says to not be ignorant and to watch. You first have to open your eyes to "watch".

Post #90
ATTENTION: Correction to post #73
I stated numbers of earthquakes for 2008....should have been 2007. I did not consider 2008 because it is not over yet. It was a typo and information overload error.

Sanspeur, you have chosen to take what I said completely out of context. You took it upon yourself to re-work what I orginally said and base your findings on 7.0 magnitude or greater. That's not what I said. It was the total number of quakes each year, regardless of the magnitudes.

Let's try this again:

2002.........13 total earthquakes (regardless of magnitudes, they happened)
2003.........15 total earthquakes " " "
2004.........13 total earthquakes " " "
2005.........14 total earthquakes " " "
2006.........14 total earthquakes " " "
2007.........18 total earthquakes " " "
2008.........14 earthquakes so far, and it's only May
2008........18 earthquakes total (10 were 7.0 magnitude or greater) This number does not include the 250 small earthquakes at Yellowstone recently that happened within 3 days like Robin mentioned in his post

From 2002 to 2006, the numbers pretty much stayed the same, give or take one or two. Beginning last year (2007) it increased. That's what I am basing my claims on.....what took place last year and is taking place this year. The reason for that is I truly believe that the Lord is coming soon because all things prophesied started changing last year....not just the weather.

Could we go the whole rest of this year without any more earthquakes? It's possible, but very unlikely. We will just have to wait and see, won't we? If the total amount is 19 or more for 2008, maybe it will make you take Biblical prophecy more seriously, hopefully it won't be too late. You will have no basis to dispute what I am saying.....except to say that everything is "cyclical". How lame."

Old 02-16-2009, 11:34 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,900,524 times
Very good post DOTL, you deserve the rep.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:22 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,372,302 times
umm, ok.

I would bet if Jesus wonderfully showed up, no one would understand Him, unless He talked in PLAIN English. I would bet they would make up different versions of what He said, with no one seeking Spiritual Guidance, and then starting churches to proclaim their new found secret revelations.

Wait, THEY DID!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:09 PM

604 posts, read 961,486 times
Do we realize that the landscape of this earth has been shaped and is still being shaped by earthquakes and the volcanoes they wake up? Also, we have modern equipment today that was not around a relatively few short years ago to measure and keep check of EVERY single earthquake that occurs. This may give the impression that we have more earthquakes today than say, 100 years ago.

The earth is also aging and with age comes expected creaks and cracks yet as it ages, in some ways it renews itself.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:57 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,796,073 times
http://www.thehorizonproject.com/earthquakes.cfm

Looks like Encanto & Spring Valley could fall into the Ocean at any time. Better head for higher ground at Mesa City College
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or