U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,664,216 times

Advertisements

Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

We all have heard about the Narrow Way.. the way, contrary to our flesh, that leads to Life. We’ve heard many voices telling us what it takes to be on the road.. what qualifications we need to meet. We’ve heard about things we must do, and things we must not do. We hear about sins that are BIG sins, and sins that apparently don’t matter. We hear about different ways we need to deny ourself. Some people say all roads eventually will lead to the Narrow Way… some tell us we need to reach some special hard-to-attain level of holiness.. others say that you are on it once you do not purposely sin.

Sorry, folks. If you put these ways beside the Narrow Way, they look like a 12-lane highway. (Each way. With people driving on the shoulder.)

The Narrow Way is very, very narrow. In fact, it is so narrow that none of us can enter. No matter if I was born a saint, was an angel as a child and never did anyone any wrong and followed ALL of the commandments as an adult, I wouldn’t fit through the door.

Enter grace. Enter love and mercy.

God saw that mankind had fallen, and no human was capable of the righteousness required to walk the Narrow Way. So Jesus came, died for our sins, and opened the door of repentance to us. Only by repenting, forsaking our sin, and allowing the blood of Jesus wash away our sins and to hide our depravity can we enter the door.

We’ll never make it any other way. It’s not complicated, but it’s oh so narrow. We can’t take any good deeds, pure heritage or bullet-proof theology with us. We can’t build our own bridge over the gate by following commandments, rules and laws. We will find in the end that this is a bridge to nowhere.. or rather, to destruction.

We often think of the broad way as the way of the pleasure-seeking, God-forsaking world.. and rightly so. But the devil is deceptively luring Christians from the path.. telling us that WE can make our own path.. we can become holy and righteous enough to travel our own road of Life. We can take along our pride at our holiness.. our judgment of our fellowman that places us on a high and lofty road. Our pleasure at our spiritual and theological achievements. Narrow road? Hardly.

One door. One way. Self must be left behind.. and we will walk the path of Life.

Last edited by cg81; 02-18-2009 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 03:49 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,898,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Only by repenting, forsaking our sin, and allowing the blood of Jesus to hide our depravity can we enter the door.
This is true, yet possibly (depending on your belief) even more exclusive.

I believe it's not just a covering like the Passover image, but rather that no carnal nature at all will able to face His glory (1 Cor 1:29). I believe the purpose of His death is to first defeat the power of the darkness, and to also show us that the flesh must be crucified in us in order to be totally pure (filled with Him alone). The concept of purity is taken lightly among us, but I believe it literally means no mixture whatsoever.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:58 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,664,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The concept of purity is taken lightly among us, but I believe it literally means no mixture whatsoever.
Yes.. and only possible by being under God's grace, whereby Jesus' righteousness is imputed to us. (I slightly edited my comment that you quoted).

Old 02-18-2009, 04:02 PM

903 posts, read 594,900 times
Mat 7:13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Mat 7:14Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Mat 7:15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Yes.. and only possible by being under God's grace, whereby Jesus' righteousness is imputed to us. (I slightly edited my comment that you quoted).
I guess what I'm saying is it's not just narrow, but impossible for all but His life to enter.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 PM

903 posts, read 594,900 times
Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it

Old 02-18-2009, 04:32 PM

5,441 posts, read 4,869,094 times
(Isaiah 35:8) "And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein."

(Ephesians 4:24) "And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness."

Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,628,165 times
Great Post CG81

Quote:
This is true, yet possibly (depending on your belief) even more exclusive.

I believe it's not just a covering like the Passover image, but rather that no carnal nature at all will able to face His glory (1 Cor 1:29).
You know what's interesting? Do a long hard study on "baptized" and the words used for it. I was facinated with the study and couldn't put it down.

In short, think of a baby in the womb. It's "baptized" inside it's mother. When we are told to be "baptized" in the name of the Lord Jesus for forgiveness of our sin, I personally do see it as not just a covering, but a complete immersion into his righteousness.

Course we turned it into some kind of water ritual, which is fine, but there's more behind it IMO.

Just some thoughts.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Great Post CG81

You know what's interesting? Do a long hard study on "baptized" and the words used for it. I was facinated with the study and couldn't put it down.

In short, think of a baby in the womb. It's "baptized" inside it's mother. When we are told to be "baptized" in the name of the Lord Jesus for forgiveness of our sin, I personally do see it as not just a covering, but a complete immersion into his righteousness.

Course we turned it into some kind of water ritual, which is fine, but there's more behind it IMO.

Just some thoughts.
Totally agree.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:52 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,503,909 times
Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is it's not just narrow, but impossible for all but His life to enter.
I think that's what the OP says.....and I agree with you.

I'm telling you EVERYTHING points to HIM.

Jesus...Name Above All Names!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity