U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 PM

62 posts, read 171,336 times

Advertisements

A recent debat has come up in our bible study of Exodus as to who "Firstborn" is being applied to. Some of us, myself included say it's refering to firstborn males(given the history and importance of firstborn males in conjuction with inheritence and that women (sorry ladies) just weren't as important as men). Others say firstborn in general, male or female. What do you all think? Keep in mind, if a house (chpter 12 - passover) in that time only has girls, what happens? The only reference of this I can think of is in Genesis when a ram could be used as sacrafice instead of firstborn male. Not sure this really applies here...

All thoughts welcomed!!

Thanks.

junos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,593,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junos View Post
A recent debat has come up in our bible study of Exodus as to who "Firstborn" is being applied to. Some of us, myself included say it's refering to firstborn males(given the history and importance of firstborn males in conjuction with inheritence and that women (sorry ladies) just weren't as important as men). Others say firstborn in general, male or female. What do you all think? Keep in mind, if a house (chpter 12 - passover) in that time only has girls, what happens? The only reference of this I can think of is in Genesis when a ram could be used as sacrafice instead of firstborn male. Not sure this really applies here...

All thoughts welcomed!!

Thanks.

junos
Quote:
A recent debat has come up in our bible study of Exodus as to who "Firstborn" is being applied to. Some of us, myself included say it's refering to firstborn males
Ex 11:4 ¶ And Moses said, Thus saith the LORD, About midnight will I go out into the midst of Egypt:

5 And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts.
6 And there shall be a great cry throughout all the land of Egypt, such as there was none like it, nor shall be like it any more.

To me it says ALL the firstborn. All means everyone, I think.

Quote:
Others say firstborn in general, male or female. What do you all think? Keep in mind, if a house (chpter 12 - passover) in that time only has girls, what happens?

Ex 12:16 And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which *every man must eat, that only may be done of you.

Again it uses the word 'every' and the word 'man' here is #5315 nephesh and means soul i.e person. It doesn't mean just male people.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,386 times
with regards to exodus this refers to both male and female of all species. maybe you should study the passover law which is even more interpeted incorrectly. passover is actually a conversion to the hebrew religion although no one will admit that today.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:14 AM

7,859 posts, read 6,666,416 times
The first born was not a law from Heaven, but a proud rule from man..... for example: Adam was first born to the Lord, but blessed Jesus with Christ who is HIS second born............Cain was Adam and Eve first born , but Seth was third born who was blessed...Issac first born was Esau, but Jacob was the one who was blessed of the Lord......Jacob`s firstborn was Reuban, but Judah was the one blessed by the Lord who was third born......Jesse first born was Elibab, but King David was blessed by the Lord who was the seventh born........ King David first born was Amnon, but King Solomon was 10th born who was blessed by the Lord ......just a few examples of Heaven blessing other younger brothers who were second, third, seventh, and tenth born
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or