U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:31 PM

1,597 posts, read 653,855 times

Advertisements

What are "strangled animals", as mentioned in Acts 15:20?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 03:08 PM

1,534 posts, read 914,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
What are "strangled animals", as mentioned in Acts 15:20?

A strangled animal is one that was suffocated and the blood not drain from it. Or to put it another way an animal that was deprived of oxygen without the shedding of blood.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:16 PM

2,739 posts, read 5,498,010 times
Default Here's Why...

mshipmate is right. Here's a little more explanation:
I am Native-American...Eskimo...born and raised in Alaska. When I was a young man, I used to snare rabbits to eat. A snare is just a piece of braided steel wire...flexible, but strong. When a rabbit runs into a snare, the wire closes tightly around it's neck, and it dies of suffocation...it is strangled. A snare (of the proper size) can be used on almost any animal, up to and including bears. It catches them around the neck (not the feet, as is sometimes thought), and then they die. That's what the Bible is talking about. Snaring was (and still is) a common way of catching game among native people. Since reading about the Bible commandment to avoid meat of strangled animals...I've not done that anymore...
And why does the Bible say not to eat strangled meat? Here's why: because....the blood is still in the meat...it coagulates and stays in the meat. By the time you finally get the game home, and get around to butchering it, the blood doesn't want to drain out...too much time has passed (usually) There is a Bible commandment not to eat or drink blood...so therefore the strangled game commandment...
I realize this is kind of gruesome, but...just telling it like it is...

Bud

Old 02-19-2009, 06:04 PM

1,597 posts, read 653,855 times
Okay, that makes it clearer. Thanks for the response.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:53 AM

305 posts, read 737,628 times
also I believe those aminals were used in the worship of false idols and then the meat was sold cheaper...
so
1) dont eat the blood in still in the animal
2) dont eat any animals offered to false gods as sacrafice...

Old 02-20-2009, 11:47 AM

589 posts, read 918,667 times
I think God doesn't want us to consume meat saturated with blood because it is dirty. Blood carries all the toxins and impurities to be cleaned out by the kidneys. Eating blood is the same as drinking the animal's urine. Yikes!

Old 12-25-2009, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 19,330 times
Allah wants you to eat Halal meat brother thats what it means
as mentioned in the Glorious Quran:

Chapter 5 - verse 3
"Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah; that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety. This day have those who reject faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear Me. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, Allah is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful."
Translation by Yusuf Ali

check out more on quran dot com

and while you are at it check out your own bible so that you see the commandments of God

Acts 15:29 (New International Version)

29You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell.

Last edited by tiyo; 12-25-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 12-25-2009, 01:24 PM

1,958 posts, read 3,444,773 times
Well done BudinAk and ICN2U

Old 12-26-2009, 01:29 AM

479 posts, read 409,186 times
Bleeccchh! It's this kind of talk that makes me totally understand how people can become completely grossed out at the thought of eating an animal and become vegetarian... ...for like 15 minutes...

Old 12-26-2009, 02:17 AM

4,345 posts, read 3,665,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
Bleeccchh! It's this kind of talk that makes me totally understand how people can become completely grossed out at the thought of eating an animal and become vegetarian... ...for like 15 minutes...
Or well over a year now for me. I'm sick of bloodshed, sick of slaughter, sick of butchery, sick of war. Sick of a barbarian lifestyle dressed up in civilized cloths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjanhKqVC4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity