Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:23 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I've often wondered what the attraction is to drinking so much alcohol that one gets rip roarin' drunk. I've heard that you have a better time at a party if there is alcohol. Why is that?

Can a Christian drink alcohol? I believe so. I don't believe it's a sin to drink in moderation. I also believe that drinking alcohol can be a stumbling block for many so Christians need to be cognizant of that.

I grew up in a family where drinking was simply a part of our everday life. If mom and dad weren't having a drink after work or with dinner, then someone must be ill. Family gatherings always included Jim Beam, Jack Daniels and all of their companions. Special occassions called for the good Irish stock to come out.

So yes, I have been around drinking and have also been an active participant. However I'm simply at a place now in life where I truly don't get it. Why get trashed? Why? What makes it so exciting? I hear of people who "gear up" for a lot of drinking while on vacation. Again, just don't understand that mindset. Any thoughts?

And really, on the biblical end of things since this is the Christianity forum, all things are okay in moderation.

It's the natural aftermath of religious debates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 08:11 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,105 times
When I was younger, I drank...yes, I drank...nowadays, my kids would have a cow if they saw me doing this.
I would drink when I was younger because I wanted to not be so shy...I wanted to be able to have fun and thought I could do this by drinking.
Now?
I think...whenever I do anything. Would I want to be doing this when Christ comes? So....I can't even do it in moderation now...for one thing it tastes awful!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 04:45 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,625 times
I'm not too big on drinking (ironic because I'm a bartender). I like the occasional greenery though. I strongly believe that drugs or alcohol shouldn't be used to fill a hole in your life. That's the easiest path to addiction. It is nice though sometimes to use alcohol/drugs (when I say drugs, I'm referring to soft ones) to enhance the fun you're already having. I personally never use any mind altering substances unless I'm in a good mood. Things can only get better from there.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:24 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,184 times
seemed like a good idea at the time?

its an escapism

the buzz makes you feel good and less inhibited, more relaxed so you can have a good time

Old 02-21-2009, 06:29 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
I've often wondered what the attraction is to drinking so much alcohol that one gets rip roarin' drunk. I've heard that you have a better time at a party if there is alcohol. Why is that?

Can a Christian drink alcohol? I believe so. I don't believe it's a sin to drink in moderation. I also believe that drinking alcohol can be a stumbling block for many so Christians need to be cognizant of that.

I grew up in a family where drinking was simply a part of our everday life. If mom and dad weren't having a drink after work or with dinner, then someone must be ill. Family gatherings always included Jim Beam, Jack Daniels and all of their companions. Special occassions called for the good Irish stock to come out.

So yes, I have been around drinking and have also been an active participant. However I'm simply at a place now in life where I truly don't get it. Why get trashed? Why? What makes it so exciting? I hear of people who "gear up" for a lot of drinking while on vacation. Again, just don't understand that mindset. Any thoughts?

And really, on the biblical end of things since this is the Christianity forum, all things are okay in moderation.
Well, as someone who's been there done that with a hat on...I hope I can answer clearly.

It's not a simple black and white answer.

You are asking two things here.

Social drinking is not the same as getting rip roarin' drunk.

Some people drink for the "buzz". No doubt. It's a depressant and kind of lightens the mood and takes away anxiety for some such as a social situation.

Really, it's when those folks cry about "not being able to drink" I want to laugh because it's like saying "don't have a cookie". They just want to get their buzz on and it's not really seated in anything deeper.

Some like myself, drank to bury the pain. It's not like "ooooo, I have a pain, let me drink".

It's more like being in a pressure cooker ALL THE TIME and not being able to handle the "noise" in your mind, the anxiety in your body etc. To the point you feel like jumping out of your skin or just exploding. So, you medicate.

I went round and round trying to figure out why after being say two years sober or whatever I would find myself being drawn to a drink or two after a hard day.

And even before then it wasn't like I was drinking during the day, or what folks would call a "full blown alcoholic". More like, nights, weekends, etc. But eventually I found myself downing a pint of whiskey on the way home every night to blow off the stress. Not good.

Long story short, in the end, for me I found that it wasn't so much the alcohol "buzz" I was drawn to, but the relief it provided. A couple beers later, I could sit without clenching my jaws, my mind would slow down and I could function. Medication. Probably the worst kind of medication because of possible problems associated with alcohol abuse - which I ended up getting too...but none the less, I finally understood that I was simply medicating from issues that I was almost blind to.

Now, 20 years later in my Christian walk, the Lord has finally shown me the crap I've been carrying in around all my life from an absolute chaotic childhood/adolescent age and how it has affected me, my mindset and the choices I have made around me.

Healing. Praise God.

I'm not on any kind of medication, instead one of those "evil" psychologist is showing me how to rearrange my thoughts and breathing patterns to the way they were SUPPOSED to be to naturally rearrange the brain function and chemistry.

But, I admit at times I'm *this* close to going for it during this process of cleaning out the attic for some relief.

It's not easy growing up in total suvival mode.

So that's a lot of personal information but I hope it helps you understand and if anyone else is reading this maybe a light will go on for them.

Blessings,

Jay

Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,717 times
[quote]
Quote:

To be uninhibited?
To loosen up where one may othewise be more shy, or reserved..
I believe the reason will vary with each individual..but the aim is still the same
God Bless You for giveing up this seducing "spirits" of alcohol..

Old 02-22-2009, 02:53 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,427 times
since i trust the OP wants real answers to a more than personal question,
it needs to be said that alcohol was used as a horrible weapon by european traders against native american people.

talk about ignorance and "pride" in tandem and long-term effects ....

Old 02-22-2009, 03:38 PM

396 posts, read 837,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
since i trust the OP wants real answers to a more than personal question,
it needs to be said that alcohol was used as a horrible weapon by european traders against native american people.

talk about ignorance and "pride" in tandem and long-term effects ....
As were Blankets...
Anywho...I use to drink like that "just because." Now, I might have one drink just to unwind or if I'm out with friends, but I don't get drunk...at least I try not to. The last time I got any kind of "Buzz" would have been New Years (and no, I didn't drive, I was spending the night at a friend's house), but that's because I had Champaign...can't drink even one glass without a buzz. Drinking for me these days is a rarity between time and want and actually just pure laziness of "I've got a glass of soda, want a beer, but am too tired to walk downstairs and get a beer."

Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
As were Blankets...
Anywho...I use to drink like that "just because." Now, I might have one drink just to unwind or if I'm out with friends, but I don't get drunk...at least I try not to. The last time I got any kind of "Buzz" would have been New Years (and no, I didn't drive, I was spending the night at a friend's house), but that's because I had Champaign...can't drink even one glass without a buzz. Drinking for me these days is a rarity between time and want and actually just pure laziness of "I've got a glass of soda, want a beer, but am too tired to walk downstairs and get a beer."

"they call me mellow yellow, that's right.." good morale to don.. and rep.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:19 PM

396 posts, read 837,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
"they call me mellow yellow, that's right.." good morale to don.. and rep.
LOL...you also hafta understand that I live in a 4 story row home. lol. So there's at least 2 sets of stairs that can make being drunk even more dangerous to me than to the "average pedestrian!" lol! And I also don't want my co-workers having to pick my drunk A$$ up and haul me to the hopstial. lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity