Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 07:07 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
No disrespect taken, it is something many misunderstand but if we look from Christs perspective all the prophets were looking to His coming. When Cain was born Eve thought he was the son of promise. With Abraham, Isaac was an example of the son of promise as was Joseph, Moses, David and so many others. If we look at the Bible for what it is we can see Christ from beginning to end. Please continue to ask questions, it is an excellent way for us to share the truth.
You see this is where the misunderstanding comes in, apparently you're talking about the belief and I'm talking about the name of the religion, I can understand where you're going with this but understand where I'm coming from, the religion of Christianity takes its name from your messiah Jesus the Christ and since that individual did not exist in human form at the beginning it stands to reason that the name of the religion did not exist until after his death, this is the way I understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:15 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
no disrespect, but as I understand it the religion of "Christianity" only came about after the death of your messiah and that the religion takes its name from him, so that would mean it's only 2009 years old, there are some religions and beliefs out there far more older than that, however it's all in one's perspective.
Greetings, ptsum: The beliefs inherent in Christianity go back to the beginning of time--the title "Christianity" is, however, a more recent thing.

After Adam and Eve sinned, God promised them the Redeemer (Gen. 3:15)--this is known as the protevangelium, the First Gospel. The "seed" of the serpent, Satan, would bruise the heel of the seed of the woman (Christ). This found fulfillment at the cross of Calvary. Throughout the Old Testament are found shadows of the realities that were to eventually be realized in Christ (e.g. the Israelite people, the law, the temple, the sacrifices, the priesthood--all pointed to Christ). Therefore, while the title "Christianity" is relatively new on the scene, the teachings and foundations date back to the beginning of creation.

Preterist

Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
I am wondering ptsum. Are you a moderator for the Christian forum? Just curious.
And may I ask in how you think our belief in a rapture is going to be our demise?
sherryturner, I do not mean to ignore your question, however, I had a storm come through my area last night and I was unable to continue online. Yes I am one of the moderators for the Religion & Philosophy Forum and sub forums, however my belief does not keep me from being unbiased about other religions, beliefs, or cultures, I respect all of them whether I believe in them or not. I believe in asking questions about the different religions, beliefs, and cultures, when I have a question about something that I do not understand, this is how we learn. Now as to your question about the belief of a Rapture, from what I have observed there are various different opinions on this subject with regard to Christians and it seems that many Christians have different opinions that are not in agreement with this particular subject and it is of my opinion, and mind you this is just my opinion, that the more disagreement that you have among yourselves, the more you're contributing to the downfall of your religion and as I previously stated, as an outsider this is how I see it. I do hope this answers your question.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
Greetings, ptsum: The beliefs inherent in Christianity go back to the beginning of time--the title "Christianity" is, however, a more recent thing.

After Adam and Eve sinned, God promised them the Redeemer (Gen. 3:15)--this is known as the protevangelium, the First Gospel. The "seed" of the serpent, Satan, would bruise the heel of the seed of the woman (Christ). This found fulfillment at the cross of Calvary. Throughout the Old Testament are found shadows of the realities that were to eventually be realized in Christ (e.g. the Israelite people, the law, the temple, the sacrifices, the priesthood--all pointed to Christ). Therefore, while the title "Christianity" is relatively new on the scene, the teachings and foundations date back to the beginning of creation.

Preterist
Well this seems to make some sense. What you are saying basically is that the belief was there before the name was,okay,I can understand that. Thank you for your patience with me.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:00 AM

161 posts, read 418,140 times
amen. that is the KEY word...
'relationship.'
it is r'eligon' that sends so many to a Christless eternity...

Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,616 times
Exclamation Rapture soon

As instructed by Scripture, I pray daily for the soon appearing of Jesus to come for His Church. We need to be mindful of the times in which we live, the political climate in our country and worldwide. We need to tell as many people as we can about The Gospel so they can be saved. Eternity is forever and we don't want people to go to hell so it is our duty to witness to people. Because of my Faith in Christ, many old friends and even family members have turned against me calling me various things. It is my duty as a Believer in Christ to spread the Gospel!
Maranatha!

Old 06-14-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
The Rapture is at the doorstep. But just for what it's worth, all Bible prophecies have not been fulfilled. In fact, there are many, many left to include the Rapture of the Church, the Time of Jacob's trouble, the Wrath of God and Satan, the renewal of Israel who will call Jesus their Messiah, Armageddon, Bema Seat Judgment, casting the Beast and False Prophet and all those who reject Christ into the bottomless pit, establishment of Christ's 1000 year reign, New Jerusalem, New Heaven, and New Earth, the Great White Throne Judgment, and casting Satan et al into the lake of fire. There is MUCH to come still!!!!!!!
Nothing needs to be fulfilled before The Rapture. It will be fulfilled following, such as Jacob's Trouble. We need to be about Our Father's work and be faithful to Him!

Old 06-14-2009, 10:34 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Nope, not gonna happen. Ready? Of course. But my world could end by a drunk driver the next time I drive down the road. But the rapture? no way.....not in anyone's lifetime that is alive today.

Face it....we are going to have to push through till the ends of our personal days....no miraculous bailout showing up anytime soon.........
I like you, Carolina. You're my kind of guy.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
Greetings Sherry Turner: Acts 2:19 speaks about Peter's day and the day of Pentecost--not our time! Notice what Peter plainly said--"THIS is what was spoken by the prophet Joel." This quote from Joel is prophetic, apocalyptic language commonly employed by the OT prophets to express the seriousness and intensity of God's wrath. It is NOT to be taken literally any more than God's proclamations against OT Babylon and Edom through the prophet Isaiah (Isa. 13; Isa. 34). When God judged Babylon, the earth did not literally move out of her place and the physical heavens were not literally shaken by God. This is figurative language. When God judged Edom, the mountains were not literally melted with blood; the hosts of heaven did not literally dissolve; the heavens were not literally rolled up as a scroll; the Lord's "sword" was not literally bathed in blood in heaven. Again, this is figurative, symbolic language!

The dreams and visions prophesied by Peter in his quote from Joel were for THAT time and not for ours. We are not in the last days--they are behind us. They were the last days of THAT age--we are in the new age! There are no more visions. We have the Scriptures and they are all we need!

Sincerely, Preterist
You are going to be so surprised in the air! We who love His appearing will receive special crowns! So keep believing. Read The Word as it is explained by The Holy Spirit and if you don't understand it, pray for wisdom and guidance by The Holy Spirit.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:45 PM

258 posts, read 443,212 times
Default How the Rapture has to Happen,Hmmmm?

Well I do believe that the most holy mosque that is in Jerusalem, and stands where the Jewish Temple Mount used to be. Temple mount was built by the Jewish people 3000 years ago. Supposedly Mohammed ascended into heavan form the rock inside the mosque. For your rapture to happen it says that the Temple Mount has to be rebuilt by the Jewish People. So as long as that mosque stands we have no worry of that happening. Don't think any time soon you are going to see the rapture. I say we let the Muslims keep the mosque there forever. Guarantee our children a life here on Earth forever. But I think it all poppy cockadoodle
anyways. God will do us in the same way he did the dionasaurs with a big rock from outerspace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity