Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:32 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
How is that relevant to her posts? There is no substitute for your heavenly father. My earthly dad was awesome but still...
One could argue that there is no heavenly father. But in any case, I was curious as to what kind of relationship someone with her views has with her father. That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Do you mean my "earthly" father? Is that what you really want to ask? I don't mind sharing.............My father, God bless His heart, just turned 75 years old. He loves the Lord with all his heart and soul. His health is steadily declining though, still he drives at least once a week to bring me and my sisters, homemade ketchup, some bake bread, a can of some of this and that! (love him so much). Since Mommy passed several months ago, he is lonely. He tries to put up this "front" like he's okay, and my heart goes out to him. He loves Mommy so much! They were best friends. He communes with his Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ everyday.

I make sure I pick up the phone and call him at least twice a week and when I don't hear from him, will take the trip and see about him. (Does'nt live very far). He worries me because he still drives at night, but that's my father and I love him so! We had issues early on in life, with me being a disobedient daughter and all, but we have worked through them a long time ago, actually when I, as the "prodigal daughter" returned home. A good tree cannot produce bad fruits, nor a bad tree good fruits. Thank you for asking about my father. All's well with his soul. How is it with yours?

Betsey
Now I understand more why you have the opinion that you do. You were once disobedient to your own father and hence have mended the relationship simply by accepting his views as your own.

We're all conditioned from a very young age. Some of us open our eyes and understand how controlling and fear based religion in general is, therefore opening ourselves up to our true potential. Others of us rebel only to be guilted back into it with the embrace of a fear stricken and jealous God who will damn us to hell if we don't comply. And again there are others who blindly follow "the way" never questioning it.

If believing in your Jesus works for you, which it seems like it does, then I have no problem with that. But I refuse to believe that you have any right to call someone an ungrateful child because they don't believe in this "Daddy" of yours.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Now I understand more why you have the opinion that you do. You were once disobedient to your own father and hence have mended the relationship simply by accepting his views as your own.

We're all conditioned from a very young age. Some of us open our eyes and understand how controlling and fear based religion in general is, therefore opening ourselves up to our true potential. Others of us rebel only to be guilted back into it with the embrace of a fear stricken and jealous God who will damn us to hell if we don't comply. And again there are others who blindly follow "the way" never questioning it.

If believing in your Jesus works for you, which it seems like it does, then I have no problem with that. But I refuse to believe that you have any right to call someone an ungrateful child because they don't believe in this "Daddy" of yours.
I posted, well..........you responded. With all due respect, if the shoe fits.............by all means, try to walk "more than just a mile" in it! In other words, don't just try to ..."try it on for size". Gave Him a chance, you'll see, He's the "real deal"!

Betsey

Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,568 times
Quote:

I don't really think it would have mattered how she answered...I thought she did very well being as I'm sure she knew what you were up to before she even wrote.
Why do you have to think that just because someone has a close relationship with God that this is because something bad happened in their lives to make them chose this path?
I could come back with thoughts that it's impossible for you to have this type of relationship because you were short on things in your life...or maybe you had too much....but I don't...because in order to have Christ in your life, you simply have to believe...not because you lack something in your life...but because that's what He wants us to do.
It's amazing what can happen if you believe.
I'm afraid Betsy's words probably come across as much more loving than mine do...but believe me, I do care.

Last edited by *sherry*; 02-28-2009 at 09:47 PM..

Old 02-28-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I posted, well..........you responded. With all due respect, if the shoe fits.............by all means, try to walk "more than just a mile" in it! In other words, don't just try to ..."try it on for size". Gave Him a chance, you'll see, He's the "real deal"!

Betsey
Like I said Betsey if viewing Jesus as your daddy works for you, then more power to you. I've found what works for me but you don't see me trying to force it upon you. Your blatant lack of respect for people who do not accept Jesus Christ as their savior is quite apparent, and not only that, it is more repulsive than attractive.

Believe how you want to believe, as long as you are not harming anyone I have no problem with it. Why is it that Christians like you have such a hard time with this concept?

Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
Why do you have to think that just because someone has a close relationship with God that this is because something bad happened in their lives to make them chose this path?
Because it was very obivous due to the fact that she called herself the prodical daughter. She says don't blame daddy, blame yourselves.

Let me get clear with this. Jesus, or "Daddy" wants all of us to be with him, he will always be there for us but we must believe in him and do exactly as he has told us because it is for our own good. If we will only do as we are told he will save us from eternal hellfire and damnation. If we don't do exactly as we are told we are to go directly to hell for all eternity.

I'm sorry I have a connection with the man you call Jesus Christ but he is nothing like how you (meaning most Christians) describe him.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:59 AM

852 posts, read 1,365,568 times
Quote:
Because it was very obivous due to the fact that she called herself the prodical daughter. She says don't blame daddy, blame yourselves.

Let me get clear with this. Jesus, or "Daddy" wants all of us to be with him, he will always be there for us but we must believe in him and do exactly as he has told us because it is for our own good. If we will only do as we are told he will save us from eternal hellfire and damnation. If we don't do exactly as we are told we are to go directly to hell for all eternity.

I'm sorry I have a connection with the man you call Jesus Christ but he is nothing like how you (meaning most Christians) describe him.

I think you confuse disrespect for those who don't believe in Christ as their Savior with concern. If I may ask you a question? Why are you here in the Christian forum if your opinions are as you say? It would seem to me that you are the one being disrespectful by coming here to say what you have. Noone "went outside" to get you. This is our sin. We should be "outside" standing up for what we believe, but we are not. We stay here, in the Christian forum...probably preaching to the choir for the most part. You see, even though most of us here more than likely have several different views of how to interpret what we read in the bible, we all have one thing in common---the belief that Jesus Christ is our Savior. The belief that we need to believe...really believe.

At first when I read your post to both Betsy and myself, I was infuriated....but upon having a chance to really look at what you said, I only feel sadness. For if you had the faith that we do, then you could also have the feelings that we do. That feeling of compassion.---that I feel towards you.

Let's see, what has He told us to do? Love Him and Love one another? I don't find that so hard to do.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:47 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
Quote:
Like I said Betsey if viewing Jesus as your daddy works for you, then more power to you. I've found what works for me but you don't see me trying to force it upon you. Your blatant lack of respect for people who do not accept Jesus Christ as their savior is quite apparent, and not only that, it is more repulsive than attractive.

Believe how you want to believe, as long as you are not harming anyone I have no problem with it. Why is it that Christians like you have such a hard time with this concept?
Because I love you and believe it or not ( and that's really what it boils down to, believing) you're doing more harm to yourself than you "think". And it not that I as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, have "such a hard time with this concept", for me it's simply................a matter of time before you meet Him for yourself, and the urgency being............time , time as we know it, is "winding up".

So it's with love, that I leave this with you: Because you do not believe He is, that does'nt stop Him from Being! It is was it is, and what it is, is TRUTH! You gonna believe Him or not? Forget Betsey, I'm just one of His many messengers.

Betsey

Old 03-01-2009, 07:59 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,172,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Can you define accept Him.
If I may freedom....although I am late to this conversation, I would like to address what accepting Him is.

The term "accepting" Him is not really a biblical term per se. It is not found in any of the sermons preached by Peter or any of the other apostles. Nor do I believe is it found in any of Jesus's teachings either with respect to being something that we must do to become Christians.

It is a modern term. But even though I believe that is the case...it contains within it's definition an implied understanding that reflects the truth about what one must do to become a Christian. And so...it is used.

Biblically one must believe. That is what the Bible says. But that term itself has come to mean very little today. Or rather it has been cheapend to the point where it means very little. We "believe" all kinds of things without really believing much of anything in the biblical sense. Our "belief" today is more of an intellectual thing. An exercise in intellectual assent to something or someone we choose to "believe" in.

"Belief" today means mainly that we agree with something. But that is not the type of belief that will save anyone.

Someone may agree that Jesus is God well enough but not submit to Him as God. Such a "belief" will not save anyone.

To believe, biblically speaking, is to act on the basis of what one agrees with intellectually. It is to orient our lives around what we say we believe.

So that in the case of someone agreeing that Jesus is God...that someone will not just agree with that in their heads but will choose to submit to Jesus as God by faith. God being someone who deserves our respect and obedience by virtue of being God.

Acceptance implies a willingness to embrace something. To allow that something into the house of our lives. To bring that something close and to embrace that something. To allow it to affect us and change us if change is required.

In the case of Jesus Christ that something is not a something but a someone. Acceptance of Jesus Christ then involves agreeing with what the Bible says about Him. That means choosing to agree with what the Bible says. But that intellectual agreement is not enough.

We may agree to certain intellectual concepts without accepting them as concepts that we live by.

Acceptance of Jesus Christ involves more than just intellectual assent to certain things that the Bible claims is true.

It also involves a willingness to embrace Jesus Christ as Lord. As Saviour. Such that we will allow who He is and wants to be in us and through us to affect our lives. We will bring Him close to us. We will let Him the person, as opposed to just an idea of Him, change our lives from the inside out for His glory and not our own.

Acceptance then is a term, a modern term, that incorporates both intellectual assent and saving faith.

If one does not accept Jesus Christ then one does not have faith in God through Him.

If one does not accept Jesus Christ but believes certain things to be true about Him based on what the bible says...then they are unwilling to live as though what they believe about Him is true. They are unwilling to submit to Him as a person. And their "belief" is nothing more than a futile exercise in intellectual assent. An exercise that will not save anyone.

Carlos

Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
I think you confuse disrespect for those who don't believe in Christ as their Savior with concern. If I may ask you a question? Why are you here in the Christian forum if your opinions are as you say? It would seem to me that you are the one being disrespectful by coming here to say what you have. Noone "went outside" to get you. This is our sin. We should be "outside" standing up for what we believe, but we are not. We stay here, in the Christian forum...probably preaching to the choir for the most part. You see, even though most of us here more than likely have several different views of how to interpret what we read in the bible, we all have one thing in common---the belief that Jesus Christ is our Savior. The belief that we need to believe...really believe.

At first when I read your post to both Betsy and myself, I was infuriated....but upon having a chance to really look at what you said, I only feel sadness. For if you had the faith that we do, then you could also have the feelings that we do. That feeling of compassion.---that I feel towards you.

Let's see, what has He told us to do? Love Him and Love one another? I don't find that so hard to do.

With all due respect I have a relationship with who you call Jesus Christ. I stated that before. Who you call Jesus would never be involved in a church with such a bloody and conflicted past aka the Christian church.

So to answer your question on why I show up in the christianity forum every now and again... I guess it would be to shed a little light on the dark and gloomy words I see posted here so often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity