Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times

Advertisements

I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, when it comes to knowing all there is to know (let's just say I'm no bible scholar) and far from it I might add
But what I want to know is, everything pretty much add up to me when it comes down to Jesus, what I'd like to find out most of all is , how can you
understand the word of God without the Holy Spirit?
It amazes me how astute some are when it comes to every jot and tittle,there are those that have read the Bible from cover to cover more than once and why some of them are still non-believers? It beats the daylights out of me me!!
For an example I'll use a very popular and prominent person
some are still searching for an encounter; I don't mean to single out people like Oprah and the likes of her , Is there a reason that they don't know Him personally.
can someone help me on this?
What about the Holy Spirit? the guide and teacher of all things
Should people's understanding and beliefs about God, themselves, and what it means to hear God's Voice play a significant role in their experience of hearing the Holy Spirit in their lives?
Thanks in advance for shedding any light on this thread!
Thanks for your patience
God Bless You All

but what about the Holy Spirit?? when is someone going turn Him loose and clear up all of this confusion on here and other places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 03:31 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Personally I was not given that gift of teaching and interpretation so I learn from men with the gifts, great teachers like John MacArthur, Paul Washer, John Piper, Alistair Begg etc... which in turn they had great teachers they followed and so on. when I sit down and read, the Holy Spirit does guide me. It is amazing what I understand now that I am a Christians than before but in no way can I see the amazing supernatural depth of the bible such as the story of Lazarus and how Lazarus is the unbeliever, the spiritual dead till we hear His voice then we are made live. WOW!
The bible says to test the spirits and I am afraid Oprah and co are listening to the wrong spirits causing them to stray even though Oprah still thinks she is a baptist?
For me to hear God's I read the bible, He will not deviate from His word. So I can trust it.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
1 Corinthians 2:114-15 "But people who aren't Christians can't understand these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them because only those who have the Spirit can understand what the Spirit means. We who have the Spirit understand these things, but others can't understand us at all".

1 John 2:27 "But you have received the Holy Spirit, and He lives within you, so you don't need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you all things and what He teaches is true, it is not a lie. So continue in what He has taught you and continue to live in Christ".

No one can understand the Bible with the Holy Spirit.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
1 Corinthians 2:114-15 "But people who aren't Christians can't understand these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them because only those who have the Spirit can understand what the Spirit means. We who have the Spirit understand these things, but others can't understand us at all".

1 John 2:27 "But you have received the Holy Spirit, and He lives within you, so you don't need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you all things and what He teaches is true, it is not a lie. So continue in what He has taught you and continue to live in Christ".

No one can understand the Bible with the Holy Spirit.
Exactly!

You can read it and have a head knowledge of it....but when you are born again, there's a 'knowing' of the Truth that follows. Whereby you can understand the scriptures because the One who authored them is your guide.

We have several posters here who claim to be ex-Christians yet they present bible stories and issues in a manner which is so telling. There's no way they were ever truly a child of the living God and still have such a skewed view of His word and His ways.

It's just simply not possible.

They were just going through the motions.

They were the ones who would have said 'Lord Lord' and He would have said 'away form me, I never knew you'.

Sadly many inside the church are in the same condition. They honor Him with their mouths but their hearts are far from Him.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:57 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
You know yhwhshalomjr... I have thought and asked the Lord the very same thing!

He always shows me there is an emptiness to the one who knows the scripture without the power (LIFE) of His Holy Spirit in the heart! I don't know how to explain it, but you discern it.
They quote and quote scripture it is repetitous, but you don't see a change or they seem to never share what the heart of the message has or means to them....personal relationship!
A lot of times there is some little hidden twist in what they quote or believe from the scripture, that is not the truth!

Just like ILNC said, "no one can understand the scripture without the Holy Spirit"!!! And I have notice most of the time they never talk about the Holy Spirit....it is them speaking, never giving testimony of Him leading, teaching, guiding in their lives.

There has been many examples of it right here in this forum....

That is why it is so important to be in the word every day of our lives. So that the Holy Spirit can lead us away and reveal the lie of one whom not to trust!!

Blessings

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 02-25-2009 at 09:07 AM..

Old 02-25-2009, 09:05 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
The role of the Spirit is to magnify the Godhead in a myriad of ways, and His presence certainly will not waver from that concept. That being said, the things of the spirit are foreign and unintelligible to the carnal mind (the one we have in our beanbag from birth). We have a propensity to restrict God on the grounds that if we can't understand it, it must not be true - which of course violates the very nature of the Spirit.

We have to be transformed - by the renewing of our mind - to grasp the things of Christ and the plan of God through the ages.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:56 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post

there are those that have read the Bible from cover to cover more than once and why some of them are still non-believers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer

The role of the Spirit is to magnify the Godhead in a myriad of ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer

We have to be transformed - by the renewing of our mind - to grasp the things of Christ and the plan of God through the ages.

June thinks that the first quote by little elmer is compelling.

It is, however, within the context of the second quote that --at least for this nonbeliever-- ultimately holds the answer to yhwhshalomyr's question, above:

Because in one's (perhaps) defining for oneself the first, it is not always possible to reconcile that with the second (quote.) --And most don't understand that for the nonbeliever, it's just not as "doable" as you all think it is.

Take gentle care.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:22 AM

777 posts, read 1,441,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June thinks that the first quote by little elmer is compelling.

It is, however, within the context of the second quote that --at least for this nonbeliever-- ultimately holds the answer to yhwhshalomyr's question, above:

Because in one's (perhaps) defining for oneself the first, it is not always possible to reconcile that with the second (quote.) --And most don't understand that for the nonbeliever, it's just not as "doable" as you all think it is.

Take gentle care.
Hi June,
I've read things written by nonbelievers concerning Scripture, which were quite astute.
However, for those with the Spirit, it's not a matter of learning themes and details.
Quite simply, He puts the pieces together for us - explaining symbolism and calling to mind related Scripture
- even giving insight into application for our lives - as well as insight into His heart, intent and overall plan.

I've read parts of the Bible before being born again and it was just a hard book.
Now I read it and it seems living - sometimes almost changing as layer upon layer is pealed back to reveal multiplicities of wisdom and knowledge.

So many times, have I read the same thing many times before - but suddenly... there is a "new thing" which had always been there, but I was not ready to yet receive it.

Other times, I just get finished reading something and then I hear a sermon on it, or it is discussed on TV, or someone else has just been reading the same verse and they want to discuss it.
These are not just coincidences. There are far too many of them.

On a few occasions, He's used the text to speak to me directly and in a way which is definitely not experienced by scholars who do not have the Holy Spirit.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:40 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
Hi June,
Quite simply, He puts the pieces together for us - explaining symbolism and calling to mind related Scripture
- even giving insight into application for our lives - as well as insight into His heart, intent and overall plan.
Agreed.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
[quote=yhwhshalomjr;7611226]
how can you
understand the word of God without the Holy Spirit?

If one reads the bible as just another great book, he will understand it in the same way that he understands any of the great classics..He will know the beginning, the theme, the plot and the ending..This has nothing to do with whether or not he believes what he reads. However he is able to discuss the things he reads in an intelligent way with those who believe everything happened or will happen later on

It amazes me how astute some are when it comes to every jot and tittle,there are those that have read the Bible from cover to cover more than once and why some of them are still non-believers? It beats the daylights out of me me!!
They are still non believers simply because they cannot grasp the meaning of "belief" without proof because as we believers know that involves "faith".. also without proof
It is easy for a child to believe and have faith, because they have faith that whatever his parents tell or teach him is truth and that the parents will give him all that he needs if he is taught about God as he matures he will begin to rely more and more on God as a loving parent who will supply his needs both spiritual and physical.. ....An adult trying to obtain belief relies mainly upon himself and his life experience..Hence, we must have the faith of a child if we are searching for God..
IMO, the Holy Spirit is quickened in us because of a genuine desire to believe, a desire for a fellowship with God and a true belief in the God we cannot connect to through our 5 senses but is very much alive and real through "faith"..

We cannot force a person to believe, we cannot condemn or discourage a person who struggles trying to find belief with hurtful words..or our opinions why God doesn't hear them..We can hold their hand in love and wait patiently on God with them...We can offer prayers for them, we can continue to gently plant seeds, and most of all to answer the questions they ask after asking the Holy Spirit to give us the right words..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity