Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:14 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times

Advertisements

A man on a plane was told by a flight attendant to put on this parachute because it will make his flight more enjoyable, he was perplexed and didn't fully understand but he trusted the flight attendant so he did. A little while later he noticed the parachute was heavy and cumbersome sitting in his seat, to make matters worse the rest of the passengers started to stare at him even laughing at him to the point where he got up in disgust ripped the parachute off his back and threw it to the floor vowing he would never put that thing on again.

Another man on the plane was told by a flight attendant to put on this parachute because at some point during the flight the plane will crash. The man was too eager to put the parachute on even though it was heavy and cumbersome and people stared and laughed, he didn't care. Some time later a flight attendant in training was serving hot coffee as she approached the man with the parachute she stumbled and spilled scalding coffee all over the man, he was enraged and in pain but did he rip the chute off like the first man? No! because he wasn't told that the parachute would make his flight more enjoyable, he was told that the plane was going to crash and the parachute would save his life, if anything the scalding coffee incident caused the man to hold on to the parachute even tighter and made him look forward to his jump.

That parachute is Jesus Christ courtesy of Ray Comfort, Living Water Ministries on The Way Of The Master

It is not enough to just say, Jesus loves you and if you become a Christian your life would be so much better, happier because that is not the truth. That is why we have so many false converts in the church and out of the church today (we now call them atheists). I have come across many atheists who were told the same. We must be clear that there is an impending doom for all those who don't believe, it's hell and that Jesus died for us so we don't have to go there. When we deliver the message to unbelievers the right way then they will stay and grow instead of falling away even in the bad times they hold on to Jesus even tighter never letting go.

"If God's wrath is real then His mercy is relevant, if you don't have a real wrath, a real anger then the cross, long suffering and mercy are robbed of its meaning" Alistair Begg

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 02-25-2009 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 09:31 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
I love crazy OT God stories.

God: Do as I say
Human: Why
God: Cause I made you
Human: So you only made me to do as you say.. kinda weird
God: It is.. but its the law
Human: Why would you do that?
God: Cause I'm God
Human: I don't get it
God: FOR THE LOVE OF ME JUST DO IT OR YOU WILL BURN IN HELL
Human: Alright alright.. chill bra'
God: I WILL NOT CHILL
Human: Seriously.. chill.. I'm doing unto others.. I'm helping others out.. I'm spreading the love
God: WELL STOP DOING THAT. YOUR LOVE FOR ME SHOULD HURT.. IF IT DOESN'T HURT YOU AREN'T DOING IT RIGHT. IT SHOULD BE UNCOMFORTABLE LIKE A PARACHUTE AROUND YOUR GROIN
Human: Very odd analogy God..
God: I know.. its all I had at the time

Old 02-25-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I love crazy OT God stories.

God: Cause I made you
God: It is.. but its the law
God: Cause I'm God........
The Fallacy Detective

Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
A man on a plane was told by a flight attendant to put on this parachute because it will make his flight more enjoyable, he was perplexed and didn't fully understand but he trusted the flight attendant so he did. A little while later he noticed the parachute was heavy and cumbersome sitting in his seat, to make matters worse the rest of the passengers started to stare at him even laughing at him to the point where he got up in disgust ripped the parachute off his back and threw it to the floor vowing he would never put that thing on again.

Another man on the plane was told by a flight attendant to put on this parachute because at some point during the flight the plane will crash. The man was too eager to put the parachute on even though it was heavy and cumbersome and people stared and laughed, he didn't care. Some time later a flight attendant in training was serving hot coffee as she approached the man with the parachute she stumbled and spilled scalding coffee all over the man, he was enraged and in pain but did he rip the chute off like the first man? No! because he wasn't told that the parachute would make his flight more enjoyable, he was told that the plane was going to crash and the parachute would save his life, if anything the scalding coffee incident caused the man to hold on to the parachute even tighter and made him look forward to his jump.

That parachute is Jesus Christ courtesy of Ray Comfort, Living Water Ministries on The Way Of The Master

It is not enough to just say, Jesus loves you and if you become a Christian your life would be so much better, happier because that is not the truth. That is why we have so many false converts in the church and out of the church today (we now call them atheists). I have come across many atheists who were told the same. We must be clear that there is an impending doom for all those who don't believe, it's hell and that Jesus died for us so we don't have to go there. When we deliver the message to unbelievers the right way then they will stay and grow instead of falling away even in the bad times they hold on to Jesus even tighter never letting go.

"If God's wrath is real then His mercy is relevant, if you don't have a real wrath, a real anger then the cross, long suffering and mercy are robbed of its meaning" Alistair Begg
The Fallacy Detective

Old 02-25-2009, 10:39 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
The good thing is that if you are Christian you don't need a parachute at all as everything that happens happens for a reason no matter how nebulous and obscure... Off topic but never mind.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
The good thing is that if you are Christian you don't need a parachute at all as everything that happens happens for a reason no matter how nebulous and obscure... Off topic but never mind.
Not entirely true

Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
I believe it is a little more like this;

God: So you may have a better life
God: No, I made you to love me so you can love others
God: BECAUSE I WOULD PREFER YOU LOVE ME AND HAVE ETERNAL LIFE OR YOU WILL BURN IN HELL BY YOUR OWN CHOICE
God: That does not sound like love
Human: Seriously.. chill.. I'm doing unto others.. I'm helping others out.. I'm spreading the love
God: You have no love without me and all you are spreading is lies, come to me so you will know what love really is and then you will help others in a way you could never imagine
God: Only because you are focused on the flesh rather than My truth, just believe and you will start to understand.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I believe it is a little more like this;

God: So you may have a better life
God: No, I made you to love me so you can love others
God: BECAUSE I WOULD PREFER YOU LOVE ME AND HAVE ETERNAL LIFE OR YOU WILL BURN IN HELL BY YOUR OWN CHOICE
God: That does not sound like love
God: You have no love without me and all you are spreading is lies, come to me so you will know what love really is and then you will help others in a way you could never imagine
God: Only because you are focused on the flesh rather than My truth, just believe and you will start to understand.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:30 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You are not seeing the whole picture, you are not a Christian without the parachute, remember Jesus is the parachute. You may not always be comfortable proclaiming or following Jesus but if you endure the discomfort you will be saved in the end.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:45 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
You are not seeing the whole picture, you are not a Christian without the parachute, remember Jesus is the parachute. You may not always be comfortable proclaiming or following Jesus but if you endure the discomfort you will be saved in the end.
I was talking about a real parachute. The kind which actually saves your life when the laws of Physics bear upon you during a plane crash.

And I did understand the metaphor.

I will never understand why if God moves in mysterious ways but with a purpose one would need such silly safety accoutrements as parachutes, air-bags, etc...

Why not just accept your god decreed fate and accept death and eternal life as the ultimate reward ?

Why bother and see doctors for example. If God has given you a disease surely it is because he had a good reason to do so ? Why fight anything in life if God is the master of your destiny ?

I know completely off topic again but I will never understand. I think my intellect is just to weak to grasp the subtle theological concepts behind those issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity