Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 PM

238 posts, read 863,379 times

Advertisements

As these two questions could easily become a debate, and I would like to avoid that in this thread, please limit your response to the two (ok, three)questions I am about to ask.

To preface... pretty much every christian I have ever met has concured, the ten comandments are quite simple, universal, and apply to every beleiver without condition... If they are not, please say why.

- the sabath (7th and last day of the week) is comanded to be your holy day... if you worship sunday, the 1st day on any calander, instead of the 7th, what is the teaching that endorsed that?

- it is comanded to make no graven image of anything of heaven, or things of earth. I can't personaly remember the last time I went into a church that didn't have a cross in it. That strikes me as an image of something of earth that has great heavenly signifigance. If the cross immage is something you're into, how has that been tought to you?

If these 2 comandments are not part of what you believe, please respond with the explanation you have been tought... and again, please limit your responses to the questions asked... I'm not trying to start a riot here.

Last edited by Need2Leave; 02-26-2009 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: cuz I still can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 05:33 AM

396 posts, read 837,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2Leave View Post
- the sabath (7th and last day of the week) is comanded to be your holy day... if you worship sunday, the 1st day on any calander, instead of the 7th, what is the teaching that endorsed that?
I worship on the day that Christ rose from the dead - Sunday.

Quote:
- it is comanded to make no graven image of anything of heaven, or things of earth. I can't personaly remember the last time I went into a church that didn't have a cross in it. That strikes me as an image of something of earth that has great heavenly signifigance. If the cross immage is something you're into, how has that been tought to you?
The crucifix is a reminder of 1) how Christ died - suffering on the cross, etc, etc. 2) that Christ died for my sins. I'm not worshiping a cross or a statue or a picture or anything else. That is how it was taught to me in CCD. That is how it was reinforced to me in CNSA (Catholic Newman Student Association).

*Disclaimer* - For the record, I am Catholic. Born Catholic. Raised Catholic. Strayed from the Church. Returned HOME to the Church (after questioning my faith - and I'm not talking about my denomination...I'm talking faith altogether). To squash the inevitable bashing (from anyone) early (out of respect to the OP as well as being tired of the arguments...and just plain tired as I just got home from work), I will not debate these issues in this thread or give any more of an explination. Others are free to worship as they choose. Others are free to believe as they choose. Just don't force your beliefs down my throat in that "Militant Bible-thumping" fashion that so many people/denominations are famous for and I won't force my beliefs on you.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 PM

238 posts, read 863,379 times
Thank you for answering what you were tought M.O.

Nobody else chiming in here?... there's got to be more than one person who was tought their answers to these questions.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:35 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,102 times
Quote:
As these two questions could easily become a debate, and I would like to avoid that in this thread, please limit your response to the two (ok, three)questions I am about to ask.

To preface... pretty much every christian I have ever met has concured, the ten comandments are quite simple, universal, and apply to every beleiver without condition... If they are not, please say why.

If these 2 comandments are not part of what you believe, please respond with the explanation you have been tought... and again, please limit your responses to the questions asked... I'm not trying to start a riot here.
Only 9 commandments carry over to the New Testament, Sabbath was done away with but we are commanded to fellowship with the brothers, we should put aside at least one day to worship God and it can be any day of the week.

Graven images- The cross is a symbol of Christianity, we are not bow dow down to it nor worship it nor any kind of statue etc.....

Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Only 9 commandments carry over to the New Testament, Sabbath was done away with but we are commanded to fellowship with the brothers, we should put aside at least one day to worship God and it can be any day of the week.

Graven images- The cross is a symbol of Christianity, we are not bow dow down to it nor worship it nor any kind of statue etc.....

I am interested in why you say the Sabbath was done away with....sincerely....and what you find in the bible to substantiate this?

Old 02-27-2009, 09:40 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
I am interested in why you say the Sabbath was done away with....sincerely....and what you find in the bible to substantiate this?
No prob because it doesn't carry over into the New Testament. No mention of the Sabbath in the NT.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:44 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,620,576 times
The Sabbath (Sunday for me) was meant to be a day of rest and it belongs to God. It is one of the ten commandments, therefore it should be adhered to. I can remember just 25 years ago that absolutely nothing was open on Sunday where I live....nothing. Now it's business as usual. The only "blue law" still in effect is no alcohol sales on Sunday. But all you have to do is go to one of the many bars and restaurants who have permits to sell it on Sunday. Or, skip on over to NC to load up on all your booze. I used to hate the blue laws in SC but now as a Christian I realize their importance. People can say what they want about the Bible belt, but I truly believe the Bible belt has delayed judgment on America. Until now.

It is my belief (this is not a "taught" belief, it's how I feel led by the Holy Spirit) that the "graven" image thing has been misinterpreted and it's being taken too far to include images of Christ and the Cross. It's dogmatic legalism when things get misconstrued like that. That's not what it means. It has to do with intentions, and worshipping statues or other man made images that have nothing to do with Christianity. I wear crosses, own huge silver cross earrings and I feel sure that you can rest easy knowing this doesn't apply to the crucifix or any pictures of God, Jesus, Mary, the apostles, etc. If it's pleasing to the eye, reverant and the image is meant to inspire worship of and prayer to God, then it's not what the commandment was referring to. PRAYING to these images is a whole other ball of wax.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:45 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,269 times
Quote:
No prob because it doesn't carry over into the New Testament. No mention of the Sabbath in the NT.
Not even from the Lord of the Sabbath?

Old 02-27-2009, 09:47 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,259 times
Quote:
I can't personaly remember the last time I went into a church that didn't have a cross in it.
I guess you haven't been in many seeker-sensitive churches, aka PDL churches, aka emerging churches, aka postmodern churches. The cross it too offensive for these people and it may hurt peoples' feelings. And we wouldn't want people to hear the offensive Gospel either, because then they might not come back to our church. Then we would fail in not making our church really big.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I submit there are more churches without the cross displayed today than churches with it. It's just a sign of the times.

p.s. for clarity's sake, the cross is a symbol of Christ's sacrifice, not a graven image.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:47 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,281 times
Quote:
The Sabbath is mentioned many times in the NT.....not trying to be arguementative; I also believe we should set aside a day to worship...any day...now, tell me why I believe this...as I've tried to show others why I believe it...and then I find myself seeking all over again...

I should say please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity