U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-07-2009, 09:25 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,453,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Carolina_guy...it had EVERYTHING to do with your post. The point being, the Bible does not have all of the world's truths. It is impossible to put all of God's truth into a single book.
lol, no it didn't. This post is about false teachings, not whether the Bible tells us the moon is 186,000 miles away.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:27 AM

4,325 posts, read 3,354,932 times
Juesus said to follow Him through Divine Love. By His ACTIONS and not by any words. He is the way, through Divine Love, the life, by how He acted and the light, by Him becoming Divine by His prayers to our Father. So if we go through Him, by what He taught ONLY, we can become like God instead of remaining in the image.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:28 AM

So if someone is teaching about Love in it's purest form, and it's not in the bible, it's a false teaching?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Carolina Guy,
Can you tell me where you heard about Divine Love? I already know what it means so I don't want a definition.
Love coming from above is divine. I didn't hear it from anyone. If we can love others as God loves us, then that is true love.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Juesus said to follow Him through Divine Love. By His ACTIONS and not by any words. He is the way, through Divine Love, the life, by how He acted and the light, by Him becoming Divine by His prayers to our Father. So if we go through Him, by what He taught ONLY, we can become like God instead of remaining in the image.
Jesus did not "become" divine, He was and is divine. We will never be like God. Are you referring to becoming "little gods"?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
So if someone is teaching about Love in it's purest form, and it's not in the bible, it's a false teaching?
What I am saying is, he who does not have the Father can not truly understand what love is because the original source of love is from God. But we are getting off topic.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:44 AM

I'm only asking because I was taught about Divine Love through channeling Jesus and the other Apostles. I think it fits in with the topic. I have Divine Love in my soul because I ask for with all honesty and sincerity, and it has been verified. So I was only asking. From my teachings, Jesus Himself said WE ALL can become like God instead of remaining in only the image. Not little Gods or Gods, but LIKE God with all of His attributes.
Through my eyes, I see everyone with Love. I see everyone as brother and sister so I would say that's unconditional love. That would also mean I follow what Jesus taught while He was on earth.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
How to Know When the Emerging Church
Shows Signs of Emerging in Your Church

Commentary by Roger Oakland

Spiritual Formation and Transformation

Much of what I have described provides the formula for a dumbing-down of Christianity that paves the way for an apostasy that will only intensify in the future. This trend away from the authority of God’s Word to the reinvented form of Christianity has overcome all evangelical denominations like an avalanche. Few Bible teachers saw this avalanche coming. Now that it is underway, few realize it has even happened.

However, there is another big piece to the puzzle that must be identified in order to understand what is emerging in the Emerging Church. While biblical Christianity has been dumbed-down and the light of God’s Word diminished, another avalanche of deception is underway that is equally devastating.

This is best described by the Word of God giving way to experiences that God’s Word forbids. The best way to understand this process is to recall what happened during the Dark Ages when the Bible became the “forbidden book.” Until the Reformers translated the Bible into the language of the common person, the people were in darkness. When the light of God’s Word became available, the gospel according to the Scriptures was once again understood.

This trend, which is underway today, shows us that history is in the process of repeating itself. As the Word of God becomes less and less important, the rise of mystical experiences is alarming and these experiences are being presented to convince the unsuspecting that Christianity is about feeling, touching, smelling and seeing God. The postmodern mindset is the perfect environment for the fostering of what is called “spiritual formation.” This teaching suggests there are various ways and means to get closer to God. Proponents of spiritual formation erroneously teach that anyone can practice these mystical rituals and find God within. Having a relationship with Jesus Christ is not a prerequisite.

These teachings, while actually rooted in ancient wisdom (the occult), were presented to Christendom post-New Testament and not found in the Word of God. The spiritual formation movement is based upon experiences promoted by desert monks and Roman Catholic mystics – these mystics encouraged the use of rituals and practices, that if performed would bring the practitioner closer to God (or come into God’s presence). The premise was that if one went into the silence or sacred space, then the mind was emptied of distractions and the voice of God could be heard. In truth, these hypnotic, mantric style practices were leading these monks into altered states of consciousness. The methods they used are the same that Buddhists and the Hindus use as a means of encountering the spiritual realm
Such methods are dangerous, and are not sanctioned in the Bible – God gives no instruction for this. On the contrary, he warns severely against divination, which is practicing a ritual or method in order to obtain information from a spiritual source. While proponents of spiritual formation (like Richard Foster) say these methods show that the Holy Spirit is doing something new to refresh Christianity, I would suggest that what is happening is not new and is not the Holy Spirit.

The spiritual formation movement is being widely promoted at colleges and seminaries as the latest and the greatest way to become a spiritual leader in these days. These ideas are then being exported from seminaries to churches by graduates who have been primed to take Christianity to a new level of enlightenment.

As well, these contemplative practices are being promoted by emergent leaders such as Brian McLaren, Robert Webber, Dallas Willard and others. Publishers like NavPress, InterVarsity and Zondervan are flooding the market with books promoting contemplative practices based on Eastern mysticism. Pastors and church leaders read these books and then promote the ideas as if they were the scriptural answer to drawing close to God.
Read the whole article here: How to Know When Your Church Shows Signs of Emerging - Rapture Ready

Old 03-07-2009, 09:56 AM

That's funny you should post that. When Jesus communicated with God, He went into silence of the mind where He could hear God's voice. Why do you think He was alone all the time? We now call this meditating, or silence or sacred space. Jesus was, in fact, according to the above description, a medium/channeler.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:00 AM

9,999 posts, read 8,869,168 times
Quote:
I'm only asking because I was taught about Divine Love through channeling Jesus and the other Apostles. I think it fits in with the topic. I have Divine Love in my soul because I ask for with all honesty and sincerity, and it has been verified. So I was only asking. From my teachings, Jesus Himself said WE ALL can become like God instead of remaining in only the image. Not little Gods or Gods, but LIKE God with all of His attributes.
Through my eyes, I see everyone with Love. I see everyone as brother and sister so I would say that's unconditional love. That would also mean I follow what Jesus taught while He was on earth.
While your path is different than mine, the result seems to be the same.

We are awakening to our power as a part of "God". We are connecting within to the divine wisdom that permeates all life in much the way Jesus contemplated his wisdom from within. Your words are beautiful and full of life.

We are learning to build our relationships, our economies, our politics, and even our technologies around the basic principle of Love.

I simply can't fathom how that would go against the teachings of Christ. It may go against quotes from scriptures that have been in the hands of man for millenia, but I would like to see someone make a reasonable argument as to how manifesting that source of pure Love is deceptive.

I think anyone reading this thread can see for themselves which paths "work" for the largest good and embodiment of Love. They can decide for themselves which path Christ would walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity