U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:08 AM

3,540 posts, read 4,128,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Amen, brother.

No, it is not your fault if you presented the Gospel to them. It is up to them to make a decision. Our only commandment regarding this is to spread the Gospel, not to save people. The HS does that.

So, you are indeed saying that Jesus died for everyone's sins (which I agree, He did) AND everyone is saved because the work is complete? Or are you saying that His plan of salvation is free to anyone who asks for it?
There are many and varied interpretations of who is God's "elect".
Just look at all the threads in this forum.

Consider the debates on justification, sanctification, sola scriptura, sola fide etc..

Forgive me ( seriously ) but I don't have the inclination nor the stamina to take these on.

My only wish is that is Christs's love that compels us, as we continue to wrestle with these doctrines.

In the meantime, I really got to go make a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 12:21 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,295,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
There are many and varied interpretations of who is God's "elect".
Just look at all the threads in this forum.

Consider the debates on justification, sanctification, sola scriptura, sola fide etc..

Forgive me ( seriously ) but I don't have the inclination nor the stamina to take these on.

My only wish is that is Christs's love that compels us, as we continue to wrestle with these doctrines.

In the meantime, I really got to go make a living.
Understood, but just consider justification, sanctification, sola scriptura, sola fide etc. does not even matter if one doesn't take the first step of faith by trusting in Jesus in the first place.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:58 PM

22,730 posts, read 10,451,503 times
Elect schmelect . . . this is born of human desire and motivations and is no part of God. It is an absurd primitive notion that resonates with human nature . . . NOT God's.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Elect schmelect . . . this is born of human desire and motivations and is no part of God. It is an absurd primitive notion that resonates with human nature . . . NOT God's.
Because you don't believe the Word of God.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM

22,730 posts, read 10,451,503 times
Quote:
Because you don't believe the Word of God.
No . . .because I UNDERSTAND the Word of God as represented by Jesus . . . NOT primitive Jehovah. Jealous God, indeed . . . ONLY humans are so weak and insecure!! What will it take to dissuade people from these primitive human emotions and motivations attributed to God by savages?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No . . .because I UNDERSTAND the Word of God as represented by Jesus . . . NOT primitive Jehovah. Jealous God, indeed . . . ONLY humans are so weak and insecure!! What will it take to dissuade people from these primitive human emotions and motivations attributed to God by savages?
You sure have a way with words with regards to God's people and those He chose to write His inspired words. You also deny that Jesus says He's the only way, so why is it so hard for you to understand that?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:55 PM

7,765 posts, read 9,367,042 times
Here's the OP:
--------------------------------------

From another thread:

Were you aware of this Catechism? And if so, do you agree? Do you believe there is more than one way to heaven? One of the biggest problems I have with Catholic doctrine is ecumenism. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Quote:
Quote:
841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."[330]

http://www.carm.org/religious-moveme...slim-god-wrong (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Let's be fair. If you are a student of Catholic doctrine, then you know it's not this simple;

CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 821

CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 843

I could go on.....
---------------------------------------------

Let's not have EVERY SINGLE THREAD be hijacked by New Age Mysticism instead of Christianity.

Thanks.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

Let's not have EVERY SINGLE THREAD be hijacked by New Age Mysticism instead of Christianity.

Thanks.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:05 PM

10 posts, read 11,380 times
Quote:
From another thread:

Were you aware of this Catechism? And if so, do you agree? Do you believe there is more than one way to heaven? One of the biggest problems I have with Catholic doctrine is ecumenism. What are your thoughts on the matter?
From the Bible we find that there is only one way to Heaven. That way is through God's Son, Jesus Christ. God sent Him to die for our sins and give us a home in heaven. That was the whole point for Jesus to come to earth; to save sinners.
Here is some helpful reading:
John 3:16
Romans 3:23
Romans 5:10
Romans 6:23
I John 1:9

Trust God at His word. Refer to His Word to find answers to your questions. Hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootybear View Post
From the Bible we find that there is only one way to Heaven. That way is through God's Son, Jesus Christ. God sent Him to die for our sins and give us a home in heaven. That was the whole point for Jesus to come to earth; to save sinners.
Here is some helpful reading:
John 3:16
Romans 3:23
Romans 5:10
Romans 6:23
I John 1:9

Trust God at His word. Refer to His Word to find answers to your questions. Hope this helps.
Preaching to the choir, bro! It is clear that the Bible says no one can get to the Father but through Him. This includes all pagans, Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, unsaved Jews, new age mystics, and those following a false jesus not of the Bible. All of these can be saved if they believe according to God's word, but they are condemned if they do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity