Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,625,579 times

Advertisements

From another thread:

Were you aware of this Catechism? And if so, do you agree? Do you believe there is more than one way to heaven? One of the biggest problems I have with Catholic doctrine is ecumenism. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Quote:
Quote:
841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."[330]

http://www.carm.org/religious-moveme...slim-god-wrong (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Let's be fair. If you are a student of Catholic doctrine, then you know it's not this simple;

CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 821

CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 843

I could go on.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:41 AM

In response to Catechism 842, nothing in Islam prepares a Muslim for the Gospel. They must forget everything they know about Islam because it is so contrary to Christian belief. Not only does the Quran teach a false jesus (Isa), but we certainly don't worship the same God. Moreover, while Christianity has its roots in Judaism, the Jewish people still reject their Messiah. It is only when they acknowledge Him as their Savior will they receive eternal life (at least in the Church age--the time of the Gentiles). In this respect, Jewish tradition can indeed prepare a Jew for the Gospel, but a great barrier must still be torn down.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:43 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,497,002 times
it still keeps puzzling me: contents withheld from the masses.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:45 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,766,529 times
whats withheld?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,130,617 times
CG, please explain something to me. How is it that a Protestant presumes to have the ability to know what the Catholic Church means in the Catechism?

We're seriously going to butt heads over this. Have you actually GONE to a Catholic bishop or priest and asked him about this stuff, or are you content on relying on your own understanding, or that of Jack Chick and other anti-Catholic websites for your "information"?

Old 03-11-2009, 05:38 AM

342 posts, read 538,203 times
This is a clear example of False Doctrine: Salvation can only be attained through Jesus Christ.....Acts 4:12........Those who claim that there are many paths to God preach a false doctrine.....Jesus is the Way the Truth and the Life.......NO ONE comes to the Father except thru Him.......

Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
CG, please explain something to me. How is it that a Protestant presumes to have the ability to know what the Catholic Church means in the Catechism?

We're seriously going to butt heads over this. Have you actually GONE to a Catholic bishop or priest and asked him about this stuff, or are you content on relying on your own understanding, or that of Jack Chick and other anti-Catholic websites for your "information"?
Now there's an objective source. Seriously though, I would absolutely jump on the chance if it's ever in front of me (to ask a Catholic authority). On the flip-side, you seem very content in blindly trusting anything the Catholic church comes up with, including this catechism. The words are there and not only that, but the Catholic church believes we worship the same God, which is just not true. Do you agree with that or do you believe God is the God of Judaism and Christianity only, and Allah is a false god (the moon god rather)??

Old 03-11-2009, 08:53 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,766,529 times
yeah we all three worship the god of Abraham.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
yeah we all three worship the god of Abraham.
Wrong!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,623,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Now there's an objective source. Seriously though, I would absolutely jump on the chance if it's ever in front of me (to ask a Catholic authority). On the flip-side, you seem very content in blindly trusting anything the Catholic church comes up with, including this catechism. The words are there and not only that, but the Catholic church believes we worship the same God, which is just not true. Do you agree with that or do you believe God is the God of Judaism and Christianity only, and Allah is a false god (the moon god rather)??
I trust the Catholic Church because I trust Jesus. Do you trust Jesus? Do you really? You don't even trust his earthly legacy here on earth. Jesus gave Peter the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Jesus told Peter whatever he permitted (loosed) on earth would be permitted in heaven and what Peter bound (prohibited) on earth would be bound in heaven. Why would He give Peter such power? Because He knew that Peter knew that Jesus was the Son of God, which could only be revealed to him by God. Jesus knew that Peter would be guided by the Holy Spirit and that Peter's path would be the path of the Father. Jesus also said that the gates of hell would not prevail against it. As you have admitted on previous posts that false doctrine and confusion are tools of Satan. Well, if you think that the Catholic Church is false and in error, then who's side are you on? Those words are important: "the gates of hell will NOT prevail against it". "It" is the Church. Jesus is proclaiming that the Church is incapable of teaching error unless of course you think Jesus is capable of teaching error. So you still think you're following Jesus?

Who started your Church? To find out the when, who, and where, refer to this list. Mine's at the bottom: http://www.transporter.com/apologia/How_Old.htm (broken link)

As far as Islam and Judaism. Both do not believe that Jesus was both devine and human. Muslims at least think Jesus was a prophet and think highly of Mary. Judaism completely denies Jesus. So, either we don't share the same God with Judaism and Islam or we both DO share the same God with both of them. Since both Christianity, Judaism and Islam use Abraham as their first prophet, then we do have things in common with them all. Catholics also believe that mitigating circumstances, like having no chance of being a Christian (a.k.a. living in Saudi Arabia) should not cause you to be forsaken. There is much mercy in that belief.

Last edited by juj; 03-11-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity