U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,194,381 times
Reputation: 744

Advertisements

(THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION ABOUT EVOLUTION APPLIED AS SCIENCE)

This is a theological discussion of about smooshing evolution into creation. Can we? Does evolution fly in the face of creation? How can a Christian believe in creation and evolution? First 10 chapters of Genesis alone either directly or indirectly ties into every doctrine of the bible. If Genesis-Adam and Eve is a myth then why is Jesus called the last Adam?, why did Jesus die on the cross for us? evolution destroys any notion of sin and death because life came from non life, if no Eve then God never promised to send the perfect sacrifice? How does sin and death enter the world if evolution is fact? How can God justify His punishment of us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2009, 10:36 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 7,912,987 times
Reputation: 1460
again fundie.. evolution doesn't speak to how life began so your statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
evolution destroys any notion of sin and death because life came from non life,
is simply incorrect. Again, like I told you before your entire argument is based on a false assumption.

SO BEFORE YOU STATE (THIS THREAD DOESN'T HAVE TO DO WITH EVOLUTION) LET ME SAY THIS: IF YOU HAVE NO UNDERSTANDING OF EVOLUTION THEN YOU CAN'T MAKE YOUR ASSUMPTION. ITS SIMPLE.

Well you can make your assumption.. it just makes your entire argument wrong from the get go.

Are you choosing to be wrong? I've posted links.. did you use them?

I'll post mutliple definitions for you to read here as you obviously either willfully choose to ignore the links (tsk tsk) or choose to willfully ignore the truth (tsk tsk)

Evolution:

"Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations" - What is Evolution?


"In fact, evolution can be precisely defined as any change in the frequency of alleles within a gene pool from one generation to the next" - What is Evolution?

"Biological evolution, simply put, is descent with modification" - Evolution 101: An Introduction to Evolution


yeah but those are probably just "liberal" websites.. EVILution type places..

oh lookie.. another one

"Evolution does not even address the origin of life. The “basic” mechanisms of evolution are gene mutation and natural selection. Obviously, without genes there can be no gene mutations. And without genes integrated in and acting upon living organisms competing for habitats, there can be no selection. The theory of evolution only deals with living creatures replete with sophisticated molecular components that make life as we know it possible" - The Scientific Definition of Evolution

huh.. lookie there.. the last definition is from a website titled "learnthebible". I'll put spaces in the phrase so you see it for full effect.. "learn the bible".




Surely you see what you think EVOLUTION is... it isn't that. Even the "Learn The Bible" states that. Why is this so hard for you to comprehend?


ON TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
This is a theological discussion of about smooshing evolution into creation. Can we?
Well I don't "smoosh" things so I'm not sure what "smooshing means". Can you clarify?

2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Does evolution fly in the face of creation?
No.. again.. evolution doesn't speak to creation.

3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
How can a Christian believe in creation and evolution?
I don't believe in evolution any more than I believe in gravity. It just is.

4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
If Genesis-Adam and Eve is a myth then why is Jesus called the last Adam?,
I haven't said Genesis is a myth. I'm simply stated in other posts that I don't believe it to be literally true.

5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
First 10 chapters of Genesis alone either directly or indirectly ties into every doctrine of the bible. why did Jesus die on the cross for us?
He died for our sins. That in no way diminishes what I said earlier or contradicts what I said earlier. It simply means the following:

A) I don't believe in a literal translation of Genesis
and
B) I believe Jesus died for our sins

Thats it.

6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
if no Eve then God never promised to send the perfect sacrifice?
It doesn't mean that at all. This is actually kinda humorous to me. That you can't think outside of your dogma long enough to think "hmmm.. God can do anything.. yet he can't make this happen outside of Genesis being literally true". Man that is rich. That is like hilarious rich to me. God can do anything.. until that anything goes against your theology. Too funny.

You just need faith little buddy...

7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
How does sin and death enter the world if evolution is fact?
Simple answer is.. don't know. I don't take Genesis literally thus I don't know. I have zero problem saying that. I have zero problem knowing I don't know because in the end.. I still have faith (something you obviously lack). Again as I noted before.. you are trying to put a round ball in a square peg.. it doesn't fit. Thus you deny the existence of the round ball.

8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
How can God justify His punishment of us?
Thats not for me to answer for you. I'm not the one that has the problem with the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 10:41 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,194,381 times
Reputation: 744
This is theology. Use theology please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 10:46 AM
 
1,139 posts, read 1,452,423 times
Reputation: 186
I agree with just bout everything you said there Big,

just want to add, could it be that the first humans are when God breathed Souls into us. Thus creating Adam and Eve, and thus the entered sin into the world. Would also take care of the incest problem I have with the literal translation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 10:46 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 7,912,987 times
Reputation: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
This is theology. Use theology please?
I posted at 11:36 a fairly indepth analysis of why you are wrong.

You posted at 11:41.. 6 words.

You obviously didn't read what I posted and thus you don't want others opinions besides your own as I answered every one of your ridiculous questions.

My favorite was my #6 answer. You probably didn't read it. You should. It was a good one.

Signed - The round ball
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 10:53 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 7,912,987 times
Reputation: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
I agree with just bout everything you said there Big,

just want to add, could it be that the first humans are when God breathed Souls into us. Thus creating Adam and Eve, and thus the entered sin into the world. Would also take care of the incest problem I have with the literal translation.
all great questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 10:55 AM
 
1,139 posts, read 1,452,423 times
Reputation: 186
any thoughts on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,194,381 times
Reputation: 744
#6 is not theology. Do you know what theology is. Seriously are there any Christians out there who believe in evolution and use theology to back up their beliefs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 AM
 
1,139 posts, read 1,452,423 times
Reputation: 186
Well there are christians who don't see theology against there beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 11:00 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 7,912,987 times
Reputation: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
any thoughts on them?
well I think its an interesting premise.. I really do. I mean in the end.. I just don't know. I guess it just doesn't matter to me.

What ultimately matters to me is my faith (whatever others want to call that) and the here and now.

does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top