U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:33 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,068,257 times

Advertisements

I find this passage interesting:

10I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,

BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Philippians 3:10;

2 things stick out in my head of which I'll reserve for later so this thread doesn't get sidetracked off the bat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,259,847 times
I don't know how the thread would be sidetracked....I'm not sure what the track is...there's no question or discussion topic.

Anyway, the verse:

For me this verse is speaking once again about submission and making sure we don't allow ourselves to be "greater than our Teacher."(I believe Jesus talked about that in Matthew but don't hold me to that.)

This also came to mind:
If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker. For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" Gal 2:17-21
(Emphasis mine)

I do hope the two things that 'stick out of your head' edify the body, rather than the alternative.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I don't know how the thread would be sidetracked....I'm not sure what the track is...there's no question or discussion topic.

Anyway, the verse:

For me this verse is speaking once again about submission and making sure we don't allow ourselves to be "greater than our Teacher."(I believe Jesus talked about that in Matthew but don't hold me to that.)

This also came to mind:
If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker. For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" Gal 2:17-21
(Emphasis mine)

I do hope the two things that 'stick out of your head' edify the body, rather than the alternative.
Well one of the things was just astonishment that Paul of all people openly admits he doesn't know Christ. Now that can be viewed many different ways but at its core it shows a humbleness in Paul which I actually like. I thought it interesting given the board here and how many boast of their.. well lets just say their "Christianess" yet here is an example of a man who many base their beliefs on (yes I know... word of God etc..) and this man openly admits he wants to know Christ.

I just thought that interesting. I for one would think it would help those who don't know and don't claim to know.. haven't had visions.. haven't been "reborn" etc... it would help them understand that its not easy. Here is a man upon which Christianity sprouted basically saying.. I want to know him which implicitly states he doesn't know him.

I'm not saying he didn't "know" him.. I'm saying that Paul (and you know what I think about Paul) was at least striving to know him better (which means Paul didn't have all the answers in his head).

sorry.. that was a long #1

Old 03-11-2009, 03:23 PM

I'll withhold my second thought for the time being.. as it would take this some place I dont' really want it to go.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Well one of the things was just astonishment that Paul of all people openly admits he doesn't know Christ. Now that can be viewed many different ways but at its core it shows a humbleness in Paul which I actually like. I thought it interesting given the board here and how many boast of their.. well lets just say their "Christianess" yet here is an example of a man who many base their beliefs on (yes I know... word of God etc..) and this man openly admits he wants to know Christ.

I just thought that interesting. I for one would think it would help those who don't know and don't claim to know.. haven't had visions.. haven't been "reborn" etc... it would help them understand that its not easy. Here is a man upon which Christianity sprouted basically saying.. I want to know him which implicitly states he doesn't know him.

I'm not saying he didn't "know" him.. I'm saying that Paul (and you know what I think about Paul) was at least striving to know him better (which means Paul didn't have all the answers in his head).

sorry.. that was a long #1
Well there's a big difference in your last few sentences than your first few, but based on your last, I'd agree.

No one has 'all' the answers in their head. But do you agree or disagree that the answers are in God's Word?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Well there's a big difference in your last few sentences than your first few, but based on your last, I'd agree.

No one has 'all' the answers in their head. But do you agree or disagree that the answers are in God's Word?
What is different between the first and the last? My wording is a bit more rough but the same thought permeates (sp?) both.

Well you've semi read me like a book as to your question about God's word and now I'm forced to post my second thought..

again.. just a thought.. just a "hmmmmmmm...." nothing more

I becan to think about his words more and more. I want to know Christ.

Just seems weird that the word of God is "I want to know Christ". At least its weird in my head because I'm a symetrical black and white binary kind of thinker.

dove tailing off that statement and back to your question..

the answers are there.. but even Paul had trouble diciphering the answers no?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:34 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,863,504 times
I like this thread. I see Paul as so humble...full of love for the Lord and a desire to be like Him...always striving. I fall...but I want to strive as Paul did. And like him, I desire to be like our Messiah.

I'm interested in hearing your #2, bigthirsty.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
What is different between the first and the last? My wording is a bit more rough but the same thought permeates (sp?) both.
You said:
Quote:
one of the things was just astonishment that Paul of all people openly admits he doesn't know Christ.
and

Quote:
Here is a man upon which Christianity sprouted basically saying.. I want to know him which implicitly states he doesn't know him.
which is a tad different than this (which you also said):
Quote:
I'm not saying he didn't "know" him.
I would think to set the tone of what you were trying to convey you would have opened with the latter rather than the first...it just threw me, that's all.

Quote:
Well you've semi read me like a book as to your question about God's word and now I'm forced to post my second thought..

Just seems weird that the word of God is "I want to know Christ". At least its weird in my head because I'm a symetrical black and white binary kind of thinker.

Paul saying he wanted to know Christ does not mean he didn't know Him. Paul was recording the answers FOR us. God was guiding him, right?

I think the bulk of your point #2 has gone over my head, but it's been a looonngggg month for me, so that doesn't surprise me.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:43 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,966,555 times
Quote:

This is interesting. Just thinking here (I'm no biblical historian),
but wasn't Philippians (56AD+/-) written after pentecost (30AD+/-) ? After the outpouring of the Spirit which I would presume would have enlightened Paul?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:49 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,567,864 times
Quote:
Just a random thought that came to me.. someone who sincerely wants to know Christ better is in a place where they already know Him in a real way..

That's how faith works.

...or another way of looking at it, the more I know of Christ in my life, the more I'll want to know of Him.

Paul knew Christ, he was inspired and used of God in a great way. Yet he realized his humanness just like the rest of us, and his desire to know Christ better showed his humility and submission to God's will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or