Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,661,906 times

Advertisements

For those interested, I thought I'd post this rather eloquent explanation of what, exactly, defines a Christian mystic:

Moderator cut: edit for copyright

"As with any religion, there are two types found within Christianity. The first is the tribal member. He or she favors a literal, concrete reading of Christianity, asserting that God is a judge with a rule book. Those who don’t play for “our team” are damned to eternity, and it can be our job to help them along the way to that end.

The second person is concerned not with knowing the rules and dogma, but with knowing the Mystery itself, which is to say living from within the experience of that Mystery. This is the search for and experience of that connection to and affirmation of God’s Presence on an ongoing basis."

http://christianmystics.com/?page_id=52 (broken link)

Last edited by june 7th; 03-11-2009 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,593,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
"As with any religion, there are two types found within Christianity. The first is the tribal member. He or she favors a literal, concrete reading of Christianity, asserting that God is a judge with a rule book. Those who don’t play for “our team” are damned to eternity, and it can be our job to help them along the way to that end.
To be fair - most 'tribal' believers in this day and age want everyone to be saved. They just accept that most will not - but they DO have a genuine desire to see good things happen to all - even their enemies.

This is a giant leap forward from the mid-evil days. Very encouraging to me.

Yes, there is a fringe Fred Phelps element out there too, but it's not predominant.

I do agree with your basic premise but wanted to point out the progress humanity (by the grace of God) has made.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:31 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,629,983 times
From the article:

Quote:
The spirituality OF Jesus has become the religion ABOUT Jesus, and a Christian mystic seeks a return to the origins of what it was to hear Jesus and to move beyond Jesus, as he asked us to do, to that to which he was pointing with his stories, teachings, words and life.
Interesting that this apostasy points out the stories, teachings, and words from his life (presumably from the Bible which they give no authority), yet they call him a liar by not believing His words of salvation, redemption from sin, resurrection, and most importantly, His deity.

Thanks for posting this as it further denotes how apostate CM/CSM is.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,852,292 times
Thumbs down CM is an oxymoron

That confirms my thoughts and opinions on CM.

Thanks for posting.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:41 AM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
That confirms my thoughts and opinions on CM.

Thanks for posting.
Neither Blue Fly nor carolina guy correctly represent or characterize Christian Mysticism, Alpha. Feel free to judge it using their presentations . . . but it is error nonetheless. Fundamentalism and magical beliefs are pure error, as well, and will lead to many surprised and disappointed individuals who do not embody Love of God and each other, IMO. Jesus is the Way . . . but SAYING it and incorporating it into your life are two very different things. There are those who SAY it and do NOT have Jesus's love in their hearts . . . and there are those who DON'T SAY it and DO have Jesus's love in their hearts.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,852,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Neither Blue Fly nor carolina guy correctly represent or characterize Christian Mysticism, Alpha. Feel free to judge it using their presentations . . . but it is error nonetheless. Fundamentalism and magical beliefs are pure error, as well, and will lead to many surprised and disappointed individuals who do not embody Love of God and each other, IMO. Jesus is the Way . . . but SAYING it and incorporating it into your life are two very different things. There are those who SAY it and do NOT have Jesus's love in their hearts . . . and there are those who DON'T SAY it and DO have Jesus's love in their hearts.
I understand your POV. I'm not basing my opinions on carolina_guy and certainly not Bluefly. I'm basing my comments solely on the link Bluefly posted.

It's clearly Mysticism and mysticism ONLY.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:09 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,256,442 times
Quote:

The second person is concerned not with knowing the rules and dogma, but with knowing the Mystery itself, which is to say living from within the experience of that Mystery. This is the search for and experience of that connection to and affirmation of God’s Presence on an ongoing basis."
It is true that there have always been two ditches available for those who trust in their own understanding, and are not experiencing the joyful, abundant relationship with God that comes about through faith and submission to Him and His Word.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:40 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I understand your POV. I'm not basing my opinions on carolina_guy and certainly not Bluefly. I'm basing my comments solely on the link Bluefly posted.

It's clearly Mysticism and mysticism ONLY.
Ok . . . no argument.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:35 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,441,291 times
Quote:
For those interested, I thought I'd post this rather eloquent explanation of what, exactly, defines a Christian mystic:

Moderator cut: edit for copyright

http://christianmystics.com/?page_id=52 (broken link)
the quoted section misses those that are concerned with rules and regulations, but don't think that the bible is 100% literal. there is a group in the middle--in fact, there might be more than just those three, but i have yet to be aware of others.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,803,259 times
A christian mystic....that is an oxymoron isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity