U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:35 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,486,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
So then I'll ask you....how do you know which one is? Each of those denominations claim their interpretation is guided by the Holy Spirit, and they each claim Biblical support to back it up.
Yes please do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 01:44 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,526,985 times
Quote:
But you do put him in a box, CG. Don't you see that? It's obvious in your debates with MysticPHD, your myriad posts about the "emerging church", and in various other places with your very own words, such as here, in which you say [color=Blue]

and here where you say

and here where you say

You forcefully assert that those who don't believe the way you do are lost. Yet you're saying you can't put God in a box. It seems like you DO put God in a box.

You say if a person/society doesn't have the Bible, they can still be guided by the Holy Spirit. The reason I said it sounded like a Catholic belief is because the Catholic Church believes, and states in the catechism, that a person can attain eternal salvation if they've never heard of Jesus, insomuch as they strive to seek God and do His will according to the dictates of their conscience. It sounds like you are agreeing with that. Yet you are vehemently opposed to what the catechism says. Apparently you think it's right in the places you agree with, but wrong in the places you don't agree with.

So then I'll ask you....how do you know which one is? Each of those denominations claim their interpretation is guided by the Holy Spirit, and they each claim Biblical support to back it up.
Sorry, I have not put Him in a box especially based on your examples. The first was defined as such because I did not want the focus to come away from the CSM deception being a part of the great apostasy of the last days. If I allowed preterists (just as an example) to come in and say, "there is no unfulfilled prophecy," the thread could be hijacked in a million different directions. This is merely following the TOS of this subforum. We are confined to a message board, not privy to face to face open verbal communication where we could have hours to carry dialog.

Regarding your second and third examples, Bluefly does not believe in the God or Jesus of Scripture, so I have complete authority to rebuke His teachings in the name of Jesus and according to God's Word. And so do you! I am not forcefully asserting myself against those who are lost. We are in a Christian forum and we should all reject false teachings. If it does not line up with the Word (and new age mysticism does not), then we have authority to reject it (all of us believers).

Regarding your last comment, I have a problem with the "according to the dictates of their own conscience." I think God is sovereign and He can work in ways we do not understand. But I see this phrase being applied to all peoples. I honestly cannot say I believe this phrase could be applied to any one in America today, or in Europe, in any civilized nation, or any populated nation with majority Islam, Hindu, etc. Perhaps this phrase was meant for lands far away in distant jungles, I do not know. But being good according to ones works does not get you to heaven, but I do believe it is possible for God to reveal Himself when He finds it necessary.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to address this. Perhaps you could share an example and I would be able to discuss what my thoughts are on the doctrine. One quick example, Scripture does not support charismatic movements who partake in people down on all fours barking like cats and dogs. Do you think the Holy Spirit is in that?

Old 03-14-2009, 02:11 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,443,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

Scriptures in the hands of an unbeliever, especially one with an agenda, is a dangerous thing.

However, knowing God outside of a solid doctrinal foundation based on scripture is not a safe person to hang with either.

Good thing June's not a seeker...

Old 03-14-2009, 02:15 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,579,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Good thing June's not a seeker...
huh?

Old 03-14-2009, 02:22 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,578,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Sorry, I forgot to address this. Perhaps you could share an example and I would be able to discuss what my thoughts are on the doctrine. One quick example, Scripture does not support charismatic movements who partake in people down on all fours barking like cats and dogs. Do you think the Holy Spirit is in that?
STOP dodging the question! You stated that not all interpretations are guided by the Holy Spirit, and I specifically asked you:

Quote:
....how do you know which one is? Each of those denominations claim their interpretation is guided by the Holy Spirit, and they each claim Biblical support to back it up.
I refuse to answer any further questions from you until you can provide a convincing answer to that question.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
STOP dodging the question! You stated that not all interpretations are guided by the Holy Spirit, and I specifically asked you:

I refuse to answer any further questions from you until you can provide a convincing answer to that question.
I did aquila by the example I gave. I would say someone like that kind of teaching is not being lead by the Holy Spirit because it is not biblical.

As I've said in another thread, no denomination, including the Catholic church, will ever have it 100% right. This is the fault of man, not the fault of the Lord. We will know it all one day when He returns.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I did aquila by the example I gave. I would say someone like that kind of teaching is not being lead by the Holy Spirit because it is not biblical.
I think you're misunderstanding the question. Let me try to clarify, and then I'm really going to hang it up with the religion discussions on these boards:

Within Protestant Christianity, you have a myriad of different sects. Many of those sects do indeed agree on the "essentials"...the majors, if you will. Along with that, you have some sects that disagree on the essential majors because they interpret something differently, and claim they are guided by the Holy Spirit. Mormons are steadfast in their belief that they are the one true church, claiming to be guided by the Holy Spirit, and believing their doctrines are Scripturally sound. The same can be said about Jehovah's Witnesses. The same can be said about Lutherans. The same can be said about Calvinists. Those individual sects each claim Biblical support for their respective interpretations. So would you agree there is only ONE valid "truth" for each essential belief/doctrine? I'm presuming you do. And if that is the case, then how is it possible the Holy Spirit would lead those different sects to their particular interpretation? He can't lie and He can't deceive. So how is anyone supposed to know which one is right?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Mormons are steadfast in their belief that they are the one true church, claiming to be guided by the Holy Spirit, and believing their doctrines are Scripturally sound. The same can be said about Jehovah's Witnesses. The same can be said about Lutherans. The same can be said about Calvinists. Those individual sects each claim Biblical support for their respective interpretations. So would you agree there is only ONE valid "truth" for each essential belief/doctrine? I'm presuming you do. And if that is the case, then how is it possible the Holy Spirit would lead those different sects to their particular interpretation? He can't lie and He can't deceive. So how is anyone supposed to know which one is right?
Firstly, I would not consider Mormons or JWs Christians as they have replaced the Bible with new revelations. At any rate, go to this thread and it may help you understand better where I'm coming from (post #10): 32,00+ Protestant Denomintations.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Firstly, I would not consider Mormons or JWs Christians as they have replaced the Bible with new revelations. At any rate, go to this thread and it may help you understand better where I'm coming from (post #10): 32,00+ Protestant Denomintations.
I went to the other thread, and you still aren't answering the question. You THINK you are, but you're not. But I don't care anymore. I'm tired of all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or