U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:21 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,962,258 times

Advertisements

I've always been one who very much enjoys respectful and thoughtful discussions between different faith traditions. For example I spent 2 hours on my feet having a wonderful discussion with a mormon elder while on vacation in salt lake city last summer.
I'm more and more convinced that the whole truth will be found one day in the accumulated wisdom of all of us. We all have something to offer.

My wife just informed me that she invited the jehovas witness that keeps coming around, over to my house this saturday morning with her husband.
My wife can't wait to hear the discussion. It should be interesting, and I'll try to post my thoughts on this later.

It appears that we are getting together with a respectful desire for the truth. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 02:30 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,532,395 times
Just curious, will you use this time or a future time to witness the only Truth to them?

Old 03-17-2009, 02:42 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,251,325 times
Oakback, I do hope you and your wife will pray over this meeting and discussion prior to it.

The Witnesses are a unique lot.

Are you just meeting them to share your beliefs and explore theirs?

If they are like the Witnesses I've been around that will not be their intent.

Pray up, brother!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:51 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,532,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Oakback, I do hope you and your wife will pray over this meeting and discussion prior to it.

The Witnesses are a unique lot.

Are you just meeting them to share your beliefs and explore theirs?

If they are like the Witnesses I've been around that will not be their intent.

Pray up, brother!
Agreed.

Bro. Oakback, I would sincerely pray about it and put on the Whole Armor of God. Pray to be in God's will regarding this meet up, and if you are still lead pray that the Holy Spirit give you great discernment and shield you from deception. Read and study the Word this week to prepare you to stand for the Truth. It would be awesome if they realize their error and come to know salvation through Jesus, not their false jesus.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:52 PM

I hope this does not end up becoming dueling witnesses.

Not unlike the Mormons, they also believe their founder was inspired.
I'll look forward to the discussion.
Blood transfusions may come up for example. My understanding is that they have pulled this from leviticus. Well, leviticus also says we should not eat fat. I'm genuinely curious why they believe this. These people seem to be very reasonable and intelligent folks. Frankly, I can't fathom accepting some of the things they do. And I'll tell them that ( with respect and a smile on my face ). Then they can tell me.
Anyway, I'm sure they'll have all kinds of questions for this pagan papist flesh eater.
I just hope we don't spend hours with our bibles out playing scriptural ping pong.
I hope we can be friends.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:56 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,514,915 times
Can you post your meeting on Youtube? I can pop some popcorn and watch fundamentalists going at each other.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:01 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,251,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I hope this does not end up becoming dueling witnesses.

Not unlike the Mormons, they also believe their founder was inspired.
I'll look forward to the discussion.
Blood transfusions may come up for example. My understanding is that they have pulled this from leviticus. Well, leviticus also says we should not eat fat. I'm genuinely curious why they believe this. These people seem to be very reasonable and intelligent folks. Frankly, I can't fathom accepting some of the things they do. And I'll tell them that ( with respect and a smile on my face ). Then they can tell me.
Anyway, I'm sure they'll have all kinds of questions for this pagan papist flesh eater.
I just hope we don't spend hours with our bibles out playing scriptural ping pong.
I hope we can be friends.
Well, I've never invited them into my home but I have spoken with them on my front door step. Lots if different directions you can go in.

I actually was questioning their NWT translation (which by the way was translated by folks that don't even know the ancient languages) and had a witness tell me that they also accept the KJV. So I pulled out my KJV and started asking if they believed this or that....it was friendly but they don't believe the KJV.

Anyway, the deity of Christ, the Trinity, Jesus Christ being worthy of worship...all of those would be good topics (but again, make sure you know what you're talking about) but probably the best discussion (and saddest, to be honest) is the assurance of salvation that we have in Christ Jesus.

Only one Witness has ever told me they knew they were saved and that was here on this board. Every other one I've ever talked to said that they won't know until they are before God whether they've done enough to make Him happy.

They are absolutely works based and it is by works they believe they will be found worthy.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Can you post your meeting on Youtube? I can pop some popcorn and watch fundamentalists going at each other.
I'm not even close to being a fundamentalist ( whatever that exactly means )

Old 03-17-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Well, I've never invited them into my home but I have spoken with them on my front door step. Lots if different directions you can go in.

I actually was questioning their NWT translation (which by the way was translated by folks that don't even know the ancient languages) and had a witness tell me that they also accept the KJV. So I pulled out my KJV and started asking if they believed this or that....it was friendly but they don't believe the KJV.

Anyway, the deity of Christ, the Trinity, Jesus Christ being worthy of worship...all of those would be good topics (but again, make sure you know what you're talking about) but probably the best discussion (and saddest, to be honest) is the assurance of salvation that we have in Christ Jesus.

Only one Witness has ever told me they knew they were saved and that was here on this board. Every other one I've ever talked to said that they won't know until they are before God whether they've done enough to make Him happy.

They are absolutely works based and it is by works they believe they will be found worthy.
But they're the only true way to heaven, according to them. And so is your way, according to you. Somebody's got to be wrong here.

When JWs or Mormons come to my door, I don't engage them. Just politely say no thanks and that's that. Either way they're nice people, but I believe brainwashed by cults. Of course I think several Christian denominations are rather cultish as well.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I'm not even close to being a fundamentalist ( whatever that exactly means )
I don't understand why people enjoy arguing religion, using Bible verses as bullets. I just don't see what either party would get out of it. The odds of anyone quoting a magical verse that causes the other to see it their way is probably zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or