Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:37 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,787,696 times

Advertisements

BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: John 13:34;

34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

This thread is NOT for argumentation. What I would like is for every one of you to describe to me what, IN YOUR OPINION, makes a real, true Christian?

In order to begin this thread, I will tell you my view. Remember, this is not up for debate. I don't care what you think about me. I don't need you to tell me what the Bible says. I don't need to know if you think that I am right or wrong. This is just my humble opinion, nothing more.

A CHRISTian, for me, is a believer in Jesus, Son of God, the Christ.

Now, I could go on as to what I BELIEVE a person must do to enter the gates of Heaven, with the first being that they must believe in Jesus, the Christ, but all I want for now is, "What do you believe makes a person a Christian?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,166,936 times
Someone that loves the Lord with all their heart, all their soul, and all their mind. It only takes belief in Jesus.

Good to see you, weatherologist.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:59 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
A belief in Jesus as the Son of God, His blood atonement and resurrection, and repentance of sins. This means we change. We shed the old self and put on the new self. We no longer walk the way we used to because we now walk in the Light. If we continue to live in darkness and our old sinful ways, I don't believe you were saved in the first place. Having faith and trust in Jesus means complete submission to Him. You will know them by their fruits says it all--if we love Jesus, we will want to serve Him with our WHOLE being, not just bits and pieces.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:01 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
but all I want for now is, "What do you believe makes a person a Christian?"
Faith in Christ, repentance, dedication to live holy, and evidence.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
A belief that Christ demonstrated the highest manifestation of man within the power we call "God". Some traditions call this full illumination in all 7 chakras, others the balance between the masculine and feminine energies. It is all the same.

Using Christ as a model through which to seek to achieve the same level of illumination.

Finding hints of prophecy and wisdoms in certain texts, but knowing that words written by others (even inspired words) can only provide clues.

It is within that one finds the consciousness Christ demonstrated for us all to achieve. That is my Christianity.

I, too, do not want debate. The OP asked a question and I answered.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
A Christian is a needy person.

Realizing this, we reach out to God, knowing only He can save us. Knowing our inability to save ourselves and to light our own candle, we reach out to Christ for our righteousness. We cannot save ourselves by good deeds, or by patterning ourselves after a good "man", for that is denying our need... and how can we be saved from our neediness if we deny it? After we accept God's offer of salvation, we continue to realize our neediness, and rely on Him for direction and keeping.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,787,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
A Christian is a needy person.

Realizing this, we reach out to God, knowing only He can save us. Knowing our inability to save ourselves and to light our own candle, we reach out to Christ for our righteousness. We cannot save ourselves by good deeds, or by patterning ourselves after a good "man", for that is denying our need... and how can we be saved from our neediness if we deny it? After we accept God's offer of salvation, we continue to realize our neediness, and rely on Him for direction and keeping.

cg81, my apolgies, but I am not following your statement. Can you give me clarification?

A Christian is a needy person, please ellaborate.

<><

Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Good to see you Weather..For me a Christian doesn't have to tell everyone he is a Christian..It shows.

My definition of a Christian is one who has accepted Christ and has established a personal relationship with Him and loves him enough to take on His attributes, and has a desire to share Him

Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
cg81, my apolgies, but I am not following your statement. Can you give me clarification?

A Christian is a needy person, please ellaborate.

<><
We're all needy. Everyone. We try to fill our needs in many ways... materialism, philosophy, etc, etc.. and sometimes do a pretty good job of hiding it, altho it is still there. We try to do good works, and try to pattern our lives after good people in order to substitute our need for Christ's sacrifice with our own pseudo-sacrifice. But we are not recognizing our need!

That is why I say to be a Christian, you must be a needy person... in other words, recognize and admit your needs as they really are. And then God can help you!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM

756 posts, read 2,218,377 times
A real Christian?

I believe a true Christian is a person that has accepted Jesus, who died for us to save us from our sins, as their personal savior. I believe a true Christian tries to model Christ by trying his hardest to live a life where he loves, respects, and is compassionate towards all people. A true Christian is honest, forgiving, and nonjudgemental. A true Christian is secure in his love for God, and God's love for him. A true Christian knows he, himself, is sinner but continues to strive to please God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity