Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:58 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Thank you, StirringWaters, for injecting some decency into a forum where there is occasionally a shortage of same.

I say this as an American who also happens to be Jewish. (I admit that it does feel just slightly strange to find myself categorized as an "unbeliever," but that's a relatively small quibble!)
Why Jewish? I can think only of evil reasons you would say that. Please convince me that is incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 07:47 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Why Jewish? I can think only of evil reasons you would say that. Please convince me that is incorrect.
First tell me what those evil reasons are.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
First tell me what those evil reasons are.
Sir, I apologize--I am truly sorry. I feel so embarrassed
I mis-read your post and got the wrong idea--I am sorry.
Fellow Jew

Last edited by dcashley; 03-22-2009 at 11:07 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 11:40 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
How's that for some shock & awe?

I am becoming resentful at how members here that do not believe are being treated as scum of the earth. I am tired of them being pounded upside the head every single day. What this leads to is a hardening of the heart...they will turn away from the Lord's knock.

You want to give them the hard truth? Fine. Do it and then shut up. Plant your hard shelled seed and let it go! You leave no room for the Lord to do any work after you're finished with your hard truths.

I will stand up for people that do not believe as I do. Why? Because I have respect for all humanity...simply put, I care. It is their choice to believe or not. Would I like for all to believe? Yes. Will I force it on them? No.

To any that do not believe as I: I am sorry for talking about you as if you are not reading this. I am sorry if I have not represented myself well in what I believe. I am sorry if I have ever made you feel as unworthy as I have been made to feel. I am sorry if you are made to feel as if you must be perfect for the Lord to want you to come to Him.

The Lord doesn't need perfect people. He loves us as we are when we come to Him. You don't have to believe because someone wants you to. You don't have to believe out of fear of hell. You don't have to believe at all. But if you want to, know that the Lord is not waiting to lash out at you. Not at all. He does comfort and does give you peace. He won't devour you. Please...if you ever feel a desire to know the Lord...don't turn away out of fear of what you've heard or read. Give Him a chance.
**sigh** So I figured I'd just rep you and then stay out because I knew it wouldn't be long before the witch hunt started and judging from around page 3 I don't think I'll bother going further because I was correct. So I'm outta here BUT I did just want to say THANK YOU publicly to you and also to Miss Blue and several of the other believers that I have encountered around the place that have always been respectful and considerate. It does restore my faith in those of faith.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
Christians with heart to treat us Non-Believers with respect as fellow human beings stuck on this crazy rock we call Earth? Thank you for your wonderfully open minded post, it's refreshing to know that your not ALL so fast to sweep us under the rug by hiding behind and quoting scriptures. THANK YOU!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:27 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:

I am becoming resentful at how members here that do not believe are being treated as scum of the earth. I am tired of them being pounded upside the head every single day. What this leads to is a hardening of the heart...they will turn away from the Lord's knock.

You want to give them the hard truth? Fine. Do it and then shut up. Plant your hard shelled seed and let it go! You leave no room for the Lord to do any work after you're finished with your hard truths.

I will stand up for people that do not believe as I do. Why? Because I have respect for all humanity...simply put, I care. It is their choice to believe or not. Would I like for all to believe? Yes. Will I force it on them? No.

To any that do not believe as I: I am sorry for talking about you as if you are not reading this. I am sorry if I have not represented myself well in what I believe. I am sorry if I have ever made you feel as unworthy as I have been made to feel. I am sorry if you are made to feel as if you must be perfect for the Lord to want you to come to Him.

The Lord doesn't need perfect people. He loves us as we are when we come to Him. You don't have to believe because someone wants you to. You don't have to believe out of fear of hell. You don't have to believe at all. But if you want to, know that the Lord is not waiting to lash out at you. Not at all. He does comfort and does give you peace. He won't devour you. Please...if you ever feel a desire to know the Lord...don't turn away out of fear of what you've heard or read. Give Him a chance.
Thank you for that. This was classy and eminently fair.

"Do unto others" should always be our guiding principle when we discuss our beliefs -- or lack thereof. A simple reflection on empathy would tell us before we hit the "send" button whether we'd like to be on the receiving end of a particular post. We're all guilty of spouting off. We can all do better. +1 for you.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:36 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:

Yea, you are right.

I don't think the problem is with everyone disagreeing with one another, I think the problem comes when someone make certain statements about someones belief that is either not true, or the person believes their belief to be superior to someone else belief. Also I noticed when non-believers talk to believers their seems to be a communication block. I understand that everyone does not believe in something, but why attack someone who does or doesn't. That is the only thing that aggravates me.

But I guess the only thing that upsets me is when you have a forum wanting to hear other experiences from people and you have other who don't believe in that and they totally wreck the thread. My question is If you don't believe in the thread topic then why are you in the thread. Everyone is welcome, but some times you just want to enjoy your thread. I know that everyone does not believe in God or what ever, but if you want to just hear from a group of people then that means you want to just enjoy reading and smiling at peoples experience. But that seems impossible here.

I don't care if someone believes in nothing, but don't attack someone who does. And also I have noticed certain people asking questions but then attacking or questioning when answered. Sometimes it seem pointless.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:17 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Yea, you are right.

I don't think the problem is with everyone disagreeing with one another, I think the problem comes when someone make certain statements about someones belief that is either not true, or the person believes their belief to be superior to someone else belief. Also I noticed when non-believers talk to believers their seems to be a communication block. I understand that everyone does not believe in something, but why attack someone who does or doesn't. That is the only thing that aggravates me.

But I guess the only thing that upsets me is when you have a forum wanting to hear other experiences from people and you have other who don't believe in that and they totally wreck the thread. My question is If you don't believe in the thread topic then why are you in the thread. Everyone is welcome, but some times you just want to enjoy your thread. I know that everyone does not believe in God or what ever, but if you want to just hear from a group of people then that means you want to just enjoy reading and smiling at peoples experience. But that seems impossible here.

I don't care if someone believes in nothing, but don't attack someone who does. And also I have noticed certain people asking questions but then attacking or questioning when answered. Sometimes it seem pointless.
Shawn I totally agree with you....and even though I am a person of FAITH... I apparently am of the "wrong" sector/branch/division....what ever they want to call it....although I don't GET IT.... and am constantly having to defend myself and my own Christian beliefs... it is exhausting. If I speak my mind in here I find I am left kicking myself for doing so. There are a small group of people in this forum who keep me here...their posts...their words...and I think to myself just stick it out.... Maybe it isn't so pointless... maybe MY WORDS are getting through to someone just as their words are getting through to me??? Maybe I can open someones eyes.... maybe you can too???? For a Christian Forum, sometimes I find it to be so heartless and cruel.... if we can help them to open their hearts... to find their way to be as CHRISTIAN as everyone on here is claiming to be.... well.... then isn't it worth sticking it out? Opening one person's eyes? Opening just ONE person's heart? It might not be a crowd of posters... but it is a start......

Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:

I will stand up for people that do not believe as I do. Why?.............
Any scripture to back up what you believe? sorry but it sounds more worldly than scriptural.

Quote:
Quote:
You want to give them the hard truth? Fine. Do it and then shut up. Plant your hard shelled seed and let it go!
Sounds like you are forcing?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Any scripture to back up what you believe? sorry but it sounds more worldly than scriptural.

Sounds like you are forcing?
You are making serious allegations towards me. But yes, I have Scripture to back it up. Will I give them to you? No. Why? Because you outright reject any I give. You will begin a Scripture sparring match.

Forcing? Too bad I don't have that much sway over you...because in that verse I was talking to the likes of you...not UNBELIEVERS.

Fight on, Fundamentalist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity