Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:27 PM

63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
What happens is that modern Christianity filters the Biblical verses through those cliches so that when I quote the Scripture "Thou hatest all workers of iniquity" after filtering it comes out:

"Jesus loves me that I know because the Bible tells me so"

HK
Someone centered in hate . . . (a human emotion resulting from our weakness and sinful animal nature) . . . is unable to understand that hate is the result of weakness and sin and could NEVER be a part of God. It is sad . . . because a soul with hate can NEVER be allowed to be in the presence of God either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:52 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Someone centered in hate . . . (a human emotion resulting from our weakness and sinful animal nature) . . . is unable to understand that hate is the result of weakness and sin and could NEVER be a part of God. It is sad . . . because a soul with hate can NEVER be allowed to be in the presence of God either.
Love is a human emotion also and so it could never be from God either? that is your criteria of what is or what isn't from God. READ YOUR BIBLE!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:12 PM

988 posts, read 1,902,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Love is a human emotion also and so it could never be from God either? that is your criteria of what is or what isn't from God. READ YOUR BIBLE!

Isn't the real problem the false concept that God's love is unconditional when the Scriptures absolutey state that continuing to receive God's love is conditional upon what we do?

HK

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:45 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,003 times
You know I have to say that after reading many post's in this forum over the years, I've just had a breakthrough. The most fundamental people who (to me) are very "pushy" with their beliefs are only doing it because they really feel that what they are doing is out of love. To them they "know" there is a hell and they don't want the rest of us to go to hell. They want to see others go to heaven, and I can see how it is loving in their own way (even though I don't agree with it).

I use to read their post's and it would irritate me because I felt their delivery was very self righteous, but now I see that really they do it because of care and concern for their fellow "man". hmmm little break through for me. I do continue to follow my own path but I can respect the fundamentalist's view. FINALLY, took me a while but I can identify with it and in return really respect it! Much Love.

Moonsavvy (seeker and believer)

Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,148,619 times
Quote:
Shana writes:

I believe that the scriptures teach that God hates sin and loves the sinner.

Shana thank you for the discussion - I understand your views and I accept that you truly believe the comment above.
Thank you for the discussion also, Harold.

Quote:
From my point of view what you believe is the result of Christian Cliches such as:

"God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life"
Well, I do believe that the scriptures teach us that God loves us and that He has a plan for our lives. His plan is to restore all of us to Himself. (Ephesians 1) This a wonderful, glorious plan.

Quote:
"God hates sin but loves the sinner"
Yes, God does hate sin. Jesus came to set us sinners free from our sins. Sin is toxic, destroys, is incompatible with God. If He did not love us sinners, Jesus would not have died for us. The sinful man in us is to be destroyed but there is a new creation in Christ Jesus.

Quote:
"Christians are sinners too - just forgiven"
I believe that believers are not to continue a life of sin. We are forgiven and as a result, we are to live our lives for the Lord. We do stumble and fall at times and we are hopefully putting to death the old man, learning to please the Lord. The old man must go. We are to turn away from a life of sin. We want to please the Lord and we are sinners saved by His grace. We once were lost but now we are found, we were once blind, but now we see. ...new creations in Christ.

Quote:
What happens is that modern Christianity filters the Biblical verses through those cliches so that when I quote the Scripture "Thou hatest all workers of iniquity" after filtering it comes out:

"Jesus loves me that I know because the Bible tells me so"
The Bible does tell us that God loves us. We learn from the scriptures that God sent His Son to die for us, to reconcile us to Himself. God who is love sent Jesus to be the Savior of the world. I pray that you come to know the love of God for us Harold. Take care and God bless you.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 03-24-2009 at 08:10 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 PM

63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You have never understood this distinction, Fundy . . . all our positive human emotions are from God as part of our being "like" God (in His "likeness"). The negative human emotions are the result of a "battle." A COMBINATION . . . of our positive spiritual nature (from God) and our confused consciousness (Ego) corrupted by our uncontrolled (not "overcome") sinful human nature. Your lack of understanding of this basis of NEGATIVE human emotions is why you misunderstand God . . . who has no such internal conflicting emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity