Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
The other day I watched his show because I must admit, his voice soothes and relaxes me. I get to the end and I was mortified, he looks at the screen and addresses the viewers, his exact words were

"Here's a simple prayer you can say:

(If you say this and mean it in your heart you will be saved and understand why we believe what we do.)

"Dear God I know I'm a sinner, I know I am not where I want to be, and I want your forgiveness! I believe that Jesus died on the cross to pay the price for my sins.

Please wash me clean from all sin, shame, and guilt, come into my life Jesus to be my Lord and Savior. I ask this in your name Jesus.

Amen!" If you prayed that prayer then we believe you are saved.

No where in the entire segment did he talk about sin and repentance and where is a sinner's prayer in scripture?
That's it, that's all I have to do? Jesus was wrong, the gate to heaven IS broad.
The thief crucified next to Jesus didn't do a sinner's prayer, he told Jesus
"Jesus, remember me when you enter your Kingdom"
and Jesus told him
"You will be in heaven with me"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 11:22 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
The sinners prayer and for sinning believers!

MT 6:9 "After this manner you should pray: Our Father who is in Heaven, Hallowed be your name.
MT 6:10 Your kingdom come, Your will be done in earth, as it is in Heaven
MT 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
MT 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
MT 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For yours is the Kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."

Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The thief crucified next to Jesus didn't do a sinner's prayer, he told Jesus
"Jesus, remember me when you enter your Kingdom"
and Jesus told him
"You will be in heaven with me"
Just another version of the sinner's prayer.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:23 PM

794 posts, read 846,548 times
Quote:
The other day I watched his show because I must admit, his voice soothes and relaxes me. I get to the end and I was mortified, he looks at the screen and addresses the viewers, his exact words were

(If you say this and mean it in your heart you will be saved and understand why we believe what we do.)

"Dear God I know I'm a sinner, I know I am not where I want to be, and I want your forgiveness! I believe that Jesus died on the cross to pay the price for my sins.

Please wash me clean from all sin, shame, and guilt, come into my life Jesus to be my Lord and Savior. I ask this in your name Jesus.

No where in the entire segment did he talk about sin and repentance and where is a sinner's prayer in scripture?That's it, that's all I have to do? Jesus was wrong, the gate to heaven IS broad.
The verse you are referring to about the narrow and wide gates are not referring t salvation. They are referring to the quality of our lives on earth. Joel Osteen preaches hope and faith, his own unique style. As a gospel preacher he has the spiritual duty to invite people to receive salvation which is why he leads people in this prayer at the end of every service.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:22 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Joel olsteen is less Christian than I am, and I am a pagan.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:
I don't see the sinner's prayer as the next logical step......I don't see it in scripture, gives people a false sense of salvation not to mention an abhorrent teacher who teaches them nothing but how to feel good. It's a double whammy!
Only God knows the heart. A prayer of repentance can be as simple as this and good enough for Christ. Why not you?

LK 18:13 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. LK 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalts himself shall be abased; and he that humbles himself shall be exalted."

Old 07-17-2015, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,823 times
No the actual "sinners prayer" isn't in scripture, but all of its intentions are. Jesus himself tells us to" repent of our sins or we will all perish." We are to confess with our lips that Jesus is Lord . Only through the Holy Spirit can we truly say and mean the sinners prayer. God knows our hearts and He knows who is truly sincere. The next next step is the scripture that says "by their fruits you shall know them" We all must start somewhere, so let's not throw the baby out with the bath water!

Old 07-18-2015, 02:09 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,917,524 times
Quote:

No where in the entire segment did he talk about sin and repentance and where is a sinner's prayer in scripture?That's it, that's all I have to do? Jesus was wrong, the gate to heaven IS broad.

Mr Osteen is not a teacher of truth, he tickles ears for $$$$$$$$$$

Old 07-18-2015, 02:56 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Repent - Greek translation: a change of mind.

Greek is what the new testament was originally, so put that in your theological pipe and fire it up!

Old 07-18-2015, 03:01 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Mr Osteen is not a teacher of truth, he tickles ears for $$$$$$$$$$
And the evangelical preachers tickle them for the reward of heaven.......... so what is the difference?. If i can make a few bob in this life, and share it and be of a service to those in my immediate world because i have made a few bob...... it is a no brainer that i should have my ears tickled by $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ . I tell you what, send me what you have and i will use it for good i promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity