U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 05:40 PM

45 posts, read 102,769 times

Advertisements

(and I know "church" is a universal term for God's people, not just a building, but I'm using it in the building sense here)

Why do we attend church services? Just because it's commanded not to give up meeting with others in the NT? Because it's a feel-good entertaining way to spend Sunday morning? Because we want to see the people we care about? Because we think our children need to?

I was reflecting on this today in church. Church services are filled with distractions: the people, the music, the off-key singer a row away....so why go at all?

On these threads it seems that there are many who see the "good" in church and praise their own church, or Christianity in general; there are also many who see the "bad" and dog a particular church or Christianity in general. Why attend?

In worshipping together, we can physically experience a little taste of the intent and unity of Heaven, where we will all sing praises to God as a great multitude;
In talking about God together we remind ourselves of who He is, who we are, and why we bother;
In caring about each other and using our gifts to serve each other, we see the truth of his people truly being a "Body", alive and knit together;
In remaining obedient to attending, even when we don't necessarily want to, we remind ourselves that taking up our crosses and following Him is the most important thing in this life, not our comfort level;
And sometimes, when we are sitting in that pew, we can feel and know God better than anywhere else.

No questions really, just something God was reminding me of today. God Bless!

Katherine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 05:47 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,363,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjat32 View Post
(and I know "church" is a universal term for God's people, not just a building, but I'm using it in the building sense here)

Why do we attend church services? Just because it's commanded not to give up meeting with others in the NT? Because it's a feel-good entertaining way to spend Sunday morning? Because we want to see the people we care about? Because we think our children need to?

I was reflecting on this today in church. Church services are filled with distractions: the people, the music, the off-key singer a row away....so why go at all?

On these threads it seems that there are many who see the "good" in church and praise their own church, or Christianity in general; there are also many who see the "bad" and dog a particular church or Christianity in general. Why attend?

In worshipping together, we can physically experience a little taste of the intent and unity of Heaven, where we will all sing praises to God as a great multitude;
In talking about God together we remind ourselves of who He is, who we are, and why we bother;
In caring about each other and using our gifts to serve each other, we see the truth of his people truly being a "Body", alive and knit together;
In remaining obedient to attending, even when we don't necessarily want to, we remind ourselves that taking up our crosses and following Him is the most important thing in this life, not our comfort level;
And sometimes, when we are sitting in that pew, we can feel and know God better than anywhere else.

Katherine
Two thousand years ago, a group of persecuted christians hid from Roman centurions and spies in underground caves and catacombs. They secretly held on to their manuscripts, their children and loved ones and cried out to God above for refuge, protection and an end to suffering.

I believe we are simply honouring their sacrifice and oneness in the time of danger, by re-enacting their tribulation in the best way we could without the stress or fear that they experienced.

More importantly, the re-enactment of the last supper. "Do this in memory of me".

But I miss the churches I used to go to, where people don't dress up best at all. I saw weeping ones, sad ones, happy ones, dirty ones, clean ones, rich, poor, diseased, all in the same church.

I'd recommend everyone to take a trip to churches in the East. That's where this faith came from and that's where it's still at its purest form

Old 03-29-2009, 05:53 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,363,335 times
I also wanted to add:

I remember when I was a kid, the "holy, holy, holy" song before the eucharistic ritual had a sad overture to it.

The organs had a wailing tone, the people used to sing with heavy seriousness and the whole mood in the church would be one of gravity.

I have to agree with you there. The same hymn in the churches I have been to (many of them) have a normal tone. The gravity was not there, the music was pop music like too It's not wrong, but music can really speak volumes about the situation.

This is why I love the Tridentine mass. It's the truest mass known to humans.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:35 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,132,510 times
It's become difficult for some to attend church b'c so much emphasis has been put on the entertainment and country club feel of it all when it's intended for worship and praise of God. Some believe the churches have been infiltrated by satan who uses these things (focusing on who doesn't fit in b'c he's a sinner, the countless non-related church activities, gossiping amongst themselves, scandal, the whole exclusive country-club effect, etc.) in the church to take our mind off the purpose.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:28 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,290,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjat32 View Post

Katherine
To worship God for His goodness and His greatness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or