Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
What I am saying, is that we help people, feed them, clothe them because that is the fruit of a true Christian, (not to mention it is a proven that conservatives give more to charity than liberals) but we must preach the word because all you are doing by feeding them and not giving them the bread of life is sending them to hell on a full stomach.
Where did the OP say that she would not share the gospel?

Is something is hungry, you feed them. You give to them, you treat them, the way you would want someone to treat you, were you starving for food or water....you minister to their needs. You come to them, on the level where they are. You meet them there. That is establishing a relationship with them. The Lord is all about relationship. You love them, you give to them, and they see Christ in you.

That is witnessing, not standing before them, and preaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,845 times
Quote:
ad what do you base this on?
The Bible, of course......

Jhn 6:44"No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

Jhn 8:36"So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

Mat 6:24No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Where did the OP say that she would not share the gospel?

Is something is hungry, you feed them. You give to them, you treat them, the way you would want someone to treat you, were you starving for food or water....you minister to their needs. You come to them, on the level where they are. You meet them there. That is establishing a relationship with them. The Lord is all about relationship. You love them, you give to them, and they see Christ in you.

That is witnessing, not standing before them, and preaching.
I never said any thing of the OP. I was responding to your accusations.

Quote:
"Step in and do for him, if you have nothing to give, then get out of the way and let others give.
Please, spare me the hypocritcal "religon" that would approach someone in the way Fundamentalist is advocating."

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 03-31-2009 at 09:15 AM..

Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 AM

This is what you posted, Fundamentalist:

Quote:
What I am saying, is that we help people, feed them, clothe them because that is the fruit of a true Christian, (not to mention it is a proven that conservatives give more to charity than liberals) but we must preach the word because all you are doing by feeding them and not giving them the bread of life is sending them to hell on a full stomach.
You said "sending them to hell on a full stomach," why would you assume that anything like giving them food or water, would be sending them to hell on a full stomach?

Not sure why you threw politics into the mix, I presume because you are equating this all, with drug or rehab programs?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
This is what you posted, Fundamentalist:

You said "sending them to hell on a full stomach," why would you assume that anything like giving them food or water, would be sending them to hell on a full stomach?

Not sure why you threw politics into the mix, I presume because you are equating this all, with drug or rehab programs?
A lot of churches believe they should just help and not give the gospel. Food is important true enough but the gospel trumps it all furthermore if we the church are to go into the world to help then we are to do it by scripture.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
A lot of churches believe they should just help and not give the gospel. Food is important true enough but the gospel trumps it all furthermore if we the church are to go into the world to help then we are to do it by scripture.
Which churches are those?

And, if we do go into the world, and help those in need, that is the gospel. The good news of Christ's love.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Which churches are those?

And, if we do go into the world, and help those in need, that is the gospel. The good news of Christ's love.

That is not the gospel.
the gospel is the cross, repentance, salvation, grace and not food and clothes.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 03-31-2009 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-31-2009, 09:33 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
I pity you, Fundamentalist. You care not for your brothers and sisters of this world. You care for the materialism that you claim is God. God does not live in that book you covet, He is in every human being and when you ignore humans because they need food or water, you ignore God. Pity on you because you know the difference and you are not choosing the path of God. You can read that book all day to a starving person and you will never get one drop of food from it so they may survive.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I pity you, Fundamentalist. You care not for your brothers and sisters of this world. You care for the materialism that you claim is God. God does not live in that book you covet, He is in every human being and when you ignore humans because they need food or water, you ignore God. Pity on you because you know the difference and you are not choosing the path of God. You can read that book all day to a starving person and you will never get one drop of food from it so they may survive.
Talk about strawmans, "yes we fundamentalist don't love" . Seriously when are you liberal Christians gonna let that go. I am following scripture, we are not of this world but Citizens of heaven, we are to love our neighbors as we love ourselves at the same time we are commanded to give the gospel. You see I actually read the who bible and practice them. If you are not following scripture then you are wrong. How do you know what is the path of God without following scripture?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:39 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
Quote:
That is not the gospel. the gospel is the cross, repentance and salvation not food and clothes.
I am SO with June on this one! I spent 20 years working in a jail with every sort of addict and criminal mind you can imagine and I know what she says is 100% true. My guess, Fundamentalist, is that you have never, ever worked around alcoholics and drug addicts...I could be wrong, but from your words I am guessing you have not. There really is no way to reach the inner core or "spirit" of anyone while they are being physically ripped apart by addiction of any kind (there are many types of addiction!). The salvation you believe in and talk about may come at a later time but it will never come while the person is wracked with the agony of addiction or mental illness.

I cannot imagine any loving god who would prefer preaching and witnessing to actually helping the physical needs of the person first. Which is why I am not Christian, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity