Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:58 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,391,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
If Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God
then how can you hear without a preacher?
You can hear but you have to receive it,(accept it)
without faith do you feel that we'll be able to stand in
this last and evil days?
how does faith come?
everyone will not believe the report of the Lord
Hebrews 11:6, But without faith it is impossible to please God.
The responsibility rests on us whether or not we have faith
since He told us how to get faith, if we lack faith we are to blame.
You cannot believe and have faith without hearing the word of God.
an example is in Acts 10:1 Cornelius
The Lord will always put someone in position to help you
These shepards that He have appointed to watch over our soul and give us instructions on what to do ( hearing the word of God)
Cornelius was not saved until he heard Peter preach first... God sent man to go preach...
people don't get saved just in the building called church, but out in the streets as well.
But we should be encouraged to have faith and come into the assembly
And not to worry about the tares , don't lose faith because of these, they are doing their jobs for the devil, to keep
you away for this is to be expected in the Great Falling Away isn't it?
Your faith will get weak, don't worry about people, keep your eyes on the Lord he will carry you through
Hearing cometh by the word of God..for in order to hear spiritually, one must first be born spiritually by incorruptible seed which is the word of God 1 pet 1:

23Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever

Without this, a preacher cant help ya..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Cornelius was not saved until he heard Peter preach first
Thats not true..cornelius was accepted already by God and had been made clean by the blood of christ before heard the gospel..

acts 10:

14But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
15And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

also 34Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

1 jn 3:

7Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

And cornelius doeth righteous before he heard the gospel..

Old 07-05-2009, 06:19 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
Thats not true..cornelius was accepted already by God and had been made clean by the blood of christ before heard the gospel..

acts 10:

14But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
15And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

also 34Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

1 jn 3:

7Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

That is not true, Cornelius was not saved until he was buried in baptism and his sins washed away. He was not in Christ until he was baptized. He did not have the gift of the Spirit until he was baptized (and I am not speaking of the miraculous gifts given when the Spirit fell upon him).

Righteousness includes obeying Christ in all He taught, including baptism.
The 1 John scripture you quoted is speaking to those who had obeyed the gospel, and been added to the church.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
That is not true
It is true, i just proved it to you in scripture, but you reject scripture..

Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times
Quote:

acts 10:

1 jn 3:

So you're saying since God cleansed Gentiles (Acts 10:15), and anyone who does righteous is saved (1 Jn 3:7 - even though that is referring to Christians), then everyone can be saved now, right?

Old 07-05-2009, 09:18 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
11For God shows no partiality [[d]undue favor or unfairness; with Him one man is not different from another.
9Well then, are we [Jews] superior and better off than they? No, not at all. We have already charged that all men, both Jews and Greeks (Gentiles), are under sin [held down by and subject to its power and control].

10As it is written, None is righteous, just and truthful and upright and conscientious, no, not one.(C)
11No one understands [no one intelligently discerns or comprehends]; no one seeks out God.(D)
12 All have turned aside; together they have gone wrong and have become unprofitable and worthless; no one does right, not even one!
13Their throat is a yawning grave; they use their tongues to deceive (to mislead and to deal treacherously). The venom of asps is beneath their lips.(E)
14Their mouth is full of cursing and bitterness.(F)
15Their feet are swift to shed blood.
16Destruction [as it dashes them to pieces] and misery mark their ways.
17And they have no experience of the way of peace [they know nothing about peace, for a peaceful way they do not even recognize].(G)
18There is no [reverential] fear of God before their eyes.(H)
19Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that [the murmurs and excuses of] every mouth may be hushed and all the world may be held accountable to God.
20For no person will be justified (made righteous, acquitted, and judged acceptable) in His sight by observing the works prescribed by the Law. For [the real function of] the Law is to make men recognize and be conscious of sin [[a]not mere perception, but an acquaintance with sin which works toward repentance, faith, and holy character].
21But now the righteousness of God has been revealed independently and altogether apart from the Law, although actually it is attested by the Law and the Prophets,
22Namely, the righteousness of God which comes by believing with personal trust and confident reliance on Jesus Christ (the Messiah). [And it is meant] for all who believe. For there is no distinction,
23Since all have sinned and are falling short of the honor and glory [b]which God bestows and receives.
24[All] are justified and made upright and in right standing with God, freely and gratuitously by His grace (His unmerited favor and mercy), through the redemption which is [provided] in Christ Jesus, 25Whom God put forward [[c]before the eyes of all] as a mercy seat and propitiation by His blood [the cleansing and life-giving sacrifice of atonement and reconciliation, to be received] through faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in His divine forbearance He had passed over and ignored former sins without punishment.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
How do you hear without a building pastor? Um...with the Holy Spirit. Gathering with other believers whether there is an actual seminary taught pastor or not is not wrong...when the meeting is led by the Holy Spirit.
I agree SW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I am afraid I have to take exception with your sentence that I highlighted. It requires help to be buried into Christ in baptism. I find no incidence of anyone being saved otherwise. A careful study of the book of Acts will back this up.
You know I agree with you about baptism, Towhee, but I have to disagree with you on this one. If someone needed another person in order to be baptized, their salvation would rely partially on man. If someone is reading the Bible, and decides they want to be baptized, and knows no one to call, I do believe they can dunk themselves in a bathtub, pool, river, whatever and be baptized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
11For God shows no partiality [[d]undue favor or unfairness; with Him one man is not different from another.
9Well then, are we [Jews] superior and better off than they? No, not at all. We have already charged that all men, both Jews and Greeks (Gentiles), are under sin [held down by and subject to its power and control].

10As it is written, None is righteous, just and truthful and upright and conscientious, no, not one.(C)
11No one understands [no one intelligently discerns or comprehends]; no one seeks out God.(D)
12 All have turned aside; together they have gone wrong and have become unprofitable and worthless; no one does right, not even one!
13Their throat is a yawning grave; they use their tongues to deceive (to mislead and to deal treacherously). The venom of asps is beneath their lips.(E)
14Their mouth is full of cursing and bitterness.(F)
15Their feet are swift to shed blood.
16Destruction [as it dashes them to pieces] and misery mark their ways.
17And they have no experience of the way of peace [they know nothing about peace, for a peaceful way they do not even recognize].(G)
18There is no [reverential] fear of God before their eyes.(H)
19Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that [the murmurs and excuses of] every mouth may be hushed and all the world may be held accountable to God.
20For no person will be justified (made righteous, acquitted, and judged acceptable) in His sight by observing the works prescribed by the Law. For [the real function of] the Law is to make men recognize and be conscious of sin [[a]not mere perception, but an acquaintance with sin which works toward repentance, faith, and holy character].
21But now the righteousness of God has been revealed independently and altogether apart from the Law, although actually it is attested by the Law and the Prophets,
22Namely, the righteousness of God which comes by believing with personal trust and confident reliance on Jesus Christ (the Messiah). [And it is meant] for all who believe. For there is no distinction,
23Since all have sinned and are falling short of the honor and glory [b]which God bestows and receives.
24[All] are justified and made upright and in right standing with God, freely and gratuitously by His grace (His unmerited favor and mercy), through the redemption which is [provided] in Christ Jesus, 25Whom God put forward [[c]before the eyes of all] as a mercy seat and propitiation by His blood [the cleansing and life-giving sacrifice of atonement and reconciliation, to be received] through faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in His divine forbearance He had passed over and ignored former sins without punishment.
Amen!!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
So you're saying since God cleansed Gentiles (Acts 10:15), and anyone who does righteous is saved (1 Jn 3:7 - even though that is referring to Christians), then everyone can be saved now, right?
No thats not what i am saying, where did i say that ?

Old 07-05-2009, 01:06 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
"You know I agree with you about baptism, Towhee, but I have to disagree with you on this one. If someone needed another person in order to be baptized, their salvation would rely partially on man. If someone is reading the Bible, and decides they want to be baptized, and knows no one to call, I do believe they can dunk themselves in a bathtub, pool, river, whatever and be baptized."

I am having a real problem with this.....I certainly cannot find any scripture that even implies that we can baptize ourselves! What do you propose that you say to yourself when you 'dunk' yourself??? And how can you 'dunk' yourself???? Who do you confess to before you do it?

If Jesus could have baptized Himself, why did he go to John ? If Saul could have baptized himself, why did he have to wait for someone to go to him to tell him what he must do?
That theory does not make a bit of sense.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
No thats not what i am saying, where did i say that ?
You said it below.

Quote:

acts 10:

1 jn 3:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity