Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 12:36 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,496,229 times

Advertisements

The Christain thing is to forgive, friends who have wronged me.
But where, in the Bible, does it say I have to forget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
That's the million dollar question. We will remember the offense, but we live as if we did not remember it because God does the same for us.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:44 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Nowhere. Forgiving does not mean we forget. God is the only one who can forgive AND forget.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
Quote:

You forgive, first. And then you decide what to do, next.

Do you replay the memory of how you were wronged, over and over, in your mind? Or do you move on with your life, and think on Godly things, like the Bible tells us to do?
Phillipians 4: 7-8
" 7And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

What you think, and what you ponder over, is how you act.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:00 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
Quote:
Quote:

You don't forget debey:
That's why the manual (Bible), teaches that "If we walk after the spirit we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh, this may not be the best example.
Say you have a Vietnam veteran that ha sspent quite some time seeing nothing but horror and murder, and may have killed while in combat themselves. they usually suffer from PTSD, in the same manner that anyone else that has experience severe psychological trauma. Once they come to know the Lord and accept Him, they can start receiving the benefits that come with their submission and trust in Him to do what He said He would do in Hid Word.
they can still begin to forgive everyone who have caused them this offense and
pain, but there's a good chance they will still remember the event. involuntarily as people who have been traumatized to some degree will. The same with child abuse, only God's divine healing can obliterate this from their psyche and that can't happen either unless that person has faith that God is able to heal them in the first place.
As long as we are dying daily to the flesh, and that seems to be until we have ceased to live
we are in a battle for this very mind, that's why we seek to live as close to God and trusting in His word allowing the Holy Spirit to do an extreme makeover,or like avid said "The Lord will perfect that which concerns me" even then we will still will not forget, but when we remember our heart/soul will begin view things differently ( renewing our mind)
This is a spiritual walk that cannot be done in the flesh, only then with the help of the Holy Spirit.
my $02cents

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 04-03-2009 at 03:10 AM..

Old 04-03-2009, 05:09 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
Forgive and let go, not forgive and forget. Because we have a mind that remembers things.

It does not say in the bible to forget, it says to forgive. People are going to wrong you again, and again, and again. That is life and it will happen, so just learn to move on.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:29 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
I believe forgiving IS forgetting. You don't forget the action but you forget the pain and emotions so that, therefore, you grow and learn from it. If you only say you forgive someone and then when you happen to run into them again and the pain and hurt is still there, you have not forgiven them. But if you run into them again and there is no pain and you can talk about it, then you have forgiven them.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:58 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,053 times
Forgiveness means, in pretty tangible terms, to pardon a debt owed to you. In part, this traces back to the custom in which one who is wronged was owed something, be it a fine or some other sign of contrition. So, in the original sense, forgiving meant to not require repayment for having been wronged.

What does this mean for us today? It means that if somebody wrongs me, and I say "I forgive you", but am then willing to bring up that wrong later, as though I expect them to make it right somehow, I haven't truly forgiven them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity