Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:03 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times

Advertisements

I receive the news, facebook updates, weather updates and the usual on my blackberry. This morning while trying to get over this nasty H1N1 flu I toggled through the Reuters news and found that through Twitter a well-known pyschic medium will be hosting a seance. I'm astonished, saddened and deeply disturbed by this event, especially since it's one where anyone can tap in.

Prior to my committment to Christ I dabbled in the occult. I've seen and experienced things I wish I hadn't. I know how very real this is and there will be many people who think it's just something fun and no big deal. I've encountered those people more than a hundred times. It's not just because I'm a true believer in Christ that I see the depravity in this event, but because I've felt the pure evil of the demonic realm.

A few weeks ago when the first Christmas catalog hit our doorstep, after my kids tore through it....after managing to get it away from their mother...I had my look. Christmas is a special time in our family, as most. I flipped through the pages and locked on an item in the upper left corner. It was pink, cute and very sweet looking -- until I got a closer look at the box and realized it was a ouija board. It was so pink it could've belonged to that cute Elle Woods in Legally Blonde.

I received a ouija board for Christmas when I was 10. I thought it was the coolest and greatest thing. It was a path to the "other world". What alarms me about the pink board is that the powers that be are trying to make seances, ouija boards and all the occultic things seem cute and perky.

I'm disilluisioned by the route our world is going. I thought it was bad enough just turning on the news and hearing about this political leader, that bombing or a senate bill that calls out Christian's first amendment rights.

For all who know themselves to be true born-again believers, we need to stand in prayer. The days are getting much darker and we need to be that beacon on the hill. We need our lampstand to burn bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:52 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,525,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Prior to my committment to Christ I dabbled in the occult. I've seen and experienced things I wish I hadn't. I know how very real this is and there will be many people who think it's just something fun and no big deal. I've encountered those people more than a hundred times. It's not just because I'm a true believer in Christ that I see the depravity in this event, but because I've felt the pure evil of the demonic realm.
I have an question:

You say that you dabbled in the occult and felt it was real.. You say that you've felt the pure evil.. was that while you were dabbling or after your commitment to Christ?

Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times
it was before my committment to Christ. I did experience serious demonic activity through a group of people myself and a few other Christians were trying to help on our military base in Europe. A few girls were playing with the ouija board and brought out this demon. I heard it speak and let me tell you I do know Christ and am secure in my walk with him, but it still freaked me out. The group of girls and my friends found a pastor on base and pleaded for his help. Unknown to me while we were in the room everyone was flipped out over me because my face was turning purple like I was being choked to death. Demons can definitely oppress Christians...just not possess...a topic I learned about that very night.

Last edited by Hoosier; 10-27-2009 at 05:35 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 05:27 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times
I know others feel differently than I do about these things,especially fundamentilist. But when it comes to the supernatural,those things do not bother or scare me at all. I Believe that God is in control of ALL things. I don`t think that anything can happen to me that isn`t ordained by God. If I fully trust him with my life then lo,though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. The bible also says, let not your heart be troubled. So many church goers today are so scared of evil or one thing or another, I don`t get that. They see evil at every turn and in everything and feel they personally must stop it.
If you fully trust God and believe he is in control then why all this worry? What is the worse thing that can happen to you, death? I see death as a good thing. God already knows what is going to happen. It won`t take him by surprise. Isn`t that good news? So why be worried. The creator of all things has everything under his control. Nothing can happen without his permission. Doesn`t that just give you peace? I don`t have to worry about death. I don`t have to worry about what our government does or doesn`t do. I don`t worry about any of it. It is interesting and I follow politics. But at the end of the day, it doesn`t worry me. It doesn`t worry me because man is not in control. The supreme creator is. So what do I have to worry about? Obama,Bush,Clinton or anybody else are just human beings,they are not God. Nothing is going to happen that God does not allow to happen. They can do nothing without God`s approval.
I can see how people that believe in free will get worried and nervous. I can see how they live their life in the bondage of fear and oppression. They believe that man has control over such things and so life then becomes unpredictable. I believe that God works in the hearts of men to accomplish what he wants. Some of the decisions of the government turn out to be ones that cause pain and suffering for some. No matter what happens,some people will like it and some people won`t. Just ask yourself one question. What can evil do to you? Greater is he that is within you than he that is in the world. Fear no evil for thou art with me. Let not your heart be troubled.
psalm 23:

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Doesn`t that just bring peace to your soul?

Old 10-27-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
it was before my committment to Christ. I did experience serious demonic activity through a group of people myself and a few other Christians were trying to help on our military base in Europe. A few girls were playing with the ouija board and brought out this demon. I heard it speak and let me tell you I do know Christ and am secure in my walk with him, but it still freaked me out. The group of girls and my friends found a pastor on base and pleaded for his help. Unknown to me while we were in the room everyone was flipped out over me because my face was turning purple like I was being choked to death. Demons can definitely oppress Christians...just not possess...a topic I learned about that very night.
I don't believe in demons or supernatural beings but it is interesting to me that in a situation where you expect to find them they appear. I don't think you are less christian or anything but I think it is the mind that is willing to see these things..

For example when you see something out of the corner of your eye as movement but then looking full on you can see it didn't move...

You know... When I watched Arachnophobia... I saw and felt spiders everywhere! (I hate spiders..creepy little devils. except the garden ones which don't bother me for some reason) So I think if you expect something you may see it.. but that doesn't mean an object such as the Ouija board has any power at all.

Unless you throw it as someone..

Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I know others feel differently than I do about these things,especially fundamentilist. But when it comes to the supernatural,those things do not bother or scare me at all. I Believe that God is in control of ALL things. I don`t think that anything can happen to me that isn`t ordained by God. If I fully trust him with my life then lo,though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. The bible also says, let not your heart be troubled. So many church goers today are so scared of evil or one thing or another, I don`t get that. They see evil at every turn and in everything and feel they personally must stop it.
If you fully trust God and believe he is in control then why all this worry? What is the worse thing that can happen to you, death? I see death as a good thing. God already knows what is going to happen. It won`t take him by surprise. Isn`t that good news? So why be worried. The creator of all things has everything under his control. Nothing can happen without his permission. Doesn`t that just give you peace? I don`t have to worry about death. I don`t have to worry about what our government does or doesn`t do. I don`t worry about any of it. It is interesting and I follow politics. But at the end of the day, it doesn`t worry me. It doesn`t worry me because man is not in control. The supreme creator is. So what do I have to worry about? Obama,Bush,Clinton or anybody else are just human beings,they are not God. Nothing is going to happen that God does not allow to happen. They can do nothing without God`s approval.
I can see how people that believe in free will get worried and nervous. I can see how they live their life in the bondage of fear and oppression. They believe that man has control over such things and so life then becomes unpredictable. I believe that God works in the hearts of men to accomplish what he wants. Some of the decisions of the government turn out to be ones that cause pain and suffering for some. No matter what happens,some people will like it and some people won`t. Just ask yourself one question. What can evil do to you? Greater is he that is within you than he that is in the world. Fear no evil for thou art with me. Let not your heart be troubled.
psalm 23:

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Doesn`t that just bring peace to your soul?
spm - I think you and I are alike in many ways.. My kids actually think I'm weird because I am not afraid of anything (well spiders and the Grudge maybe ) but for the most part I believe none of this is scary unless you are fearful.

That is why I asked if it was only around objects labeled as occult that the feeling of evil was felt.. It seems that the mind is a wonderful thing but you have to learn how to control it.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:26 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
spm - I think you and I are alike in many ways.. My kids actually think I'm weird because I am not afraid of anything (well spiders and the Grudge maybe ) but for the most part I believe none of this is scary unless you are fearful.

That is why I asked if it was only around objects labeled as occult that the feeling of evil was felt.. It seems that the mind is a wonderful thing but you have to learn how to control it.
We have nothing to fear but fear itself, right?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
We have nothing to fear but fear itself, right?
Exactly! and spiders

Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,567 times
Quote:
I receive the news, facebook updates, weather updates and the usual on my blackberry. This morning while trying to get over this nasty H1N1 flu I toggled through the Reuters news and found that through Twitter a well-known pyschic medium will be hosting a seance. I'm astonished, saddened and deeply disturbed by this event, especially since it's one where anyone can tap in.

A few weeks ago when the first Christmas catalog hit our doorstep, after my kids tore through it....after managing to get it away from their mother...I had my look. Christmas is a special time in our family, as most. I flipped through the pages and locked on an item in the upper left corner. It was pink, cute and very sweet looking -- until I got a closer look at the box and realized it was a ouija board. It was so pink it could've belonged to that cute Elle Woods in Legally Blonde.

I received a ouija board for Christmas when I was 10. I thought it was the coolest and greatest thing. It was a path to the "other world". What alarms me about the pink board is that the powers that be are trying to make seances, ouija boards and all the occultic things seem cute and perky.

I'm disilluisioned by the route our world is going. I thought it was bad enough just turning on the news and hearing about this political leader, that bombing or a senate bill that calls out Christian's first amendment rights.

For all who know themselves to be true born-again believers, we need to stand in prayer. The days are getting much darker and we need to be that beacon on the hill. We need our lampstand to burn bright.

Thank you for sharing that. It's real and it's there waiting to take it's toll on the unsuspecting. There is good and evil in this world whether some want to believe it or not. Your lamp..........It's shining.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,107 times
Quote:

I stand with you Hoosier...and my light shines right along with yours and Betsey's. Thank you for sharing your experience..it's all too real. God Bless you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity