Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:32 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,614,979 times

Advertisements

I would like to pose a question to all those who believe in unending eternal punishment for the 'lost'.

If (hypothetically of course) God were to give you the opportunity to trade places in eternity with someone you loved who died without Christ (friend, mother, brother, someone you failed to witness to - whoever) would you do it? That is, given the opportunity, would you trade your place of eternal bliss for their place of eternal torment just out of of sacrificial agape love?

If so: Why?

If not: Why not?

Last edited by firstborn888; 04-05-2009 at 01:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 05:59 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,787,842 times
I don't believe it's possible for anyone to know for sure, where someone else is going, or went.
They may have had deathbed repentence.
But if they did not, and went to hell, no, absolutely no, I would not trade places (assuming I had the option) with anyone, to save them. No one.
I put no one above the Lord. I love Him, more than I love anyone else in this world.
It won't feel like that anyway, because after we pass, we won't think of our children as "our children," they will only be other spirit beings. We will have no relationship to them, then.

No, I would not miss being with the Lord for anyone.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:08 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
What could not be 'Perfected' on earth will be in the Hereafter.
Unconditional love.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I don't believe it's possible for anyone to know for sure, where someone else is going, or went.
They may have had deathbed repentence.
But if they did not, and went to hell, no, absolutely no, I would not trade places (assuming I had the option) with anyone, to save them. No one.
I put no one above the Lord. I love Him, more than I love anyone else in this world.
It won't feel like that anyway, because after we pass, we won't think of our children as "our children," they will only be other spirit beings. We will have no relationship to them, then.

No, I would not miss being with the Lord for anyone.
But if we are to "Love your neighbor as yourself" shouldn't we at least want it (heavenly bliss) for someone else just as much as for ourselves?

Old 04-05-2009, 02:32 PM
RSH

147 posts, read 258,039 times
Read Matthew 13:24-30,Luke 16:19-31.

No, I would not give my place up with my God in heaven For no one.
We all have an opportunity to hear the Gospel while we are on earth.
God is clear on our punishment for rejecting Him.
Yes,He is a loving God,He also brings justice to those who do not head
His warnings...B

Old 04-05-2009, 03:03 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,139,286 times
Quote:
We all have an opportunity to hear the Gospel while we are on earth.
http://www.intoalltheworld.net/lessons/Statistics.pdf (broken link)

http://www.intoalltheworld.net/overview.htm (broken link)

God bless.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:39 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,787,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
But if we are to "Love your neighbor as yourself" shouldn't we at least want it (heavenly bliss) for someone else just as much as for ourselves?
Of course I want my children to be saved! I have prayed and done the things that I believed, would assist them to do so - and I am happy to say they have both made a profession of faith, and been baptised.
So if I didn't want my children to escape hell, why would I do what I have done?
If you mean would I give up my place in heaven for my child, of course I would not. I would give up my place beside Him, for NO ONE.
But once we have passed on, we are spirit beings, anyway.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:31 PM

589 posts, read 1,559,547 times
The eternal torment in the Lake of Fire is reserved only for the fallen angels... because they are eternal beings. The Scriptures said the wages of sin for man is death... not eternal torment! In the future there will be a resurrection for all humans to face the Great White Throne Judgment and the unsaved will be cast into the Lake of Fire to DIE a second death.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:13 PM

So no one here who believes in eternal hell loves anyone else enough to trade places?

Old 04-06-2009, 05:57 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,832,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I would like to pose a question to all those who believe in unending eternal punishment for the 'lost'.

If (hypothetically of course) God were to give you the opportunity to trade places in eternity with someone you loved who died without Christ (friend, mother, brother, someone you failed to witness to - whoever) would you do it? That is, given the opportunity, would you trade your place of eternal bliss for their place of eternal torment just out of of sacrificial agape love?

If so: Why?

If not: Why not?
This would be a problem considering we are commanded to Love the Lord our God with all our heart soul and mind, and our neighbor as ourselves. The problem would be by making such a choice you would be loving your neighbor more than God and that is a little backwards because you are supposed to love God even more than yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity