U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2009, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,345 posts, read 3,553,420 times
Reputation: 816
Question Agape "heat check": Question for all Eternal Hell believers

I would like to pose a question to all those who believe in unending eternal punishment for the 'lost'.

If (hypothetically of course) God were to give you the opportunity to trade places in eternity with someone you loved who died without Christ (friend, mother, brother, someone you failed to witness to - whoever) would you do it? That is, given the opportunity, would you trade your place of eternal bliss for their place of eternal torment just out of of sacrificial agape love?

If so: Why?

If not: Why not?

Last edited by firstborn888; 04-05-2009 at 01:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2009, 05:59 AM
 
Location: USA
1,862 posts, read 2,686,896 times
Reputation: 1778
I don't believe it's possible for anyone to know for sure, where someone else is going, or went.
They may have had deathbed repentence.
But if they did not, and went to hell, no, absolutely no, I would not trade places (assuming I had the option) with anyone, to save them. No one.
I put no one above the Lord. I love Him, more than I love anyone else in this world.
It won't feel like that anyway, because after we pass, we won't think of our children as "our children," they will only be other spirit beings. We will have no relationship to them, then.

No, I would not miss being with the Lord for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2009, 08:08 AM
 
8,863 posts, read 8,377,036 times
Reputation: 2280
What could not be 'Perfected' on earth will be in the Hereafter.
Unconditional love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2009, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,345 posts, read 3,553,420 times
Reputation: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I don't believe it's possible for anyone to know for sure, where someone else is going, or went.
They may have had deathbed repentence.
But if they did not, and went to hell, no, absolutely no, I would not trade places (assuming I had the option) with anyone, to save them. No one.
I put no one above the Lord. I love Him, more than I love anyone else in this world.
It won't feel like that anyway, because after we pass, we won't think of our children as "our children," they will only be other spirit beings. We will have no relationship to them, then.

No, I would not miss being with the Lord for anyone.
But if we are to "Love your neighbor as yourself" shouldn't we at least want it (heavenly bliss) for someone else just as much as for ourselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2009, 02:32 PM
RSH
 
147 posts, read 160,149 times
Reputation: 36
Read Matthew 13:24-30,Luke 16:19-31.

No, I would not give my place up with my God in heaven For no one.
We all have an opportunity to hear the Gospel while we are on earth.
God is clear on our punishment for rejecting Him.
Yes,He is a loving God,He also brings justice to those who do not head
His warnings...B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2009, 03:03 PM
 
Location: NC
11,029 posts, read 8,605,279 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
We all have an opportunity to hear the Gospel while we are on earth.
http://www.intoalltheworld.net/lessons/Statistics.pdf (broken link)

http://www.intoalltheworld.net/overview.htm (broken link)

God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2009, 03:39 PM
 
Location: USA
1,862 posts, read 2,686,896 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
But if we are to "Love your neighbor as yourself" shouldn't we at least want it (heavenly bliss) for someone else just as much as for ourselves?
Of course I want my children to be saved! I have prayed and done the things that I believed, would assist them to do so - and I am happy to say they have both made a profession of faith, and been baptised.
So if I didn't want my children to escape hell, why would I do what I have done?
If you mean would I give up my place in heaven for my child, of course I would not. I would give up my place beside Him, for NO ONE.
But once we have passed on, we are spirit beings, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2009, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Canada
589 posts, read 894,609 times
Reputation: 240
The eternal torment in the Lake of Fire is reserved only for the fallen angels... because they are eternal beings. The Scriptures said the wages of sin for man is death... not eternal torment! In the future there will be a resurrection for all humans to face the Great White Throne Judgment and the unsaved will be cast into the Lake of Fire to DIE a second death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,345 posts, read 3,553,420 times
Reputation: 816
So no one here who believes in eternal hell loves anyone else enough to trade places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,191 posts, read 3,100,943 times
Reputation: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I would like to pose a question to all those who believe in unending eternal punishment for the 'lost'.

If (hypothetically of course) God were to give you the opportunity to trade places in eternity with someone you loved who died without Christ (friend, mother, brother, someone you failed to witness to - whoever) would you do it? That is, given the opportunity, would you trade your place of eternal bliss for their place of eternal torment just out of of sacrificial agape love?

If so: Why?

If not: Why not?
This would be a problem considering we are commanded to Love the Lord our God with all our heart soul and mind, and our neighbor as ourselves. The problem would be by making such a choice you would be loving your neighbor more than God and that is a little backwards because you are supposed to love God even more than yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top